Hello all.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. I've been having some not so great feelings in my stomach myself, I have my moments where i can barely stay awake, and when I'm not taking short walks I like to sit in bed and try and stay alert and awake and this site helps.

Glad you're doing ok Ovie. Hopefully the time you have left in the hospital will be a smooth one!

~Marc

Great to hear from you! Every update makes my day a little better!

Rest while you can. You'll have your ups and downs, but that's to be expected. I don't know what meds you are on. Some of them have some pretty nasty side effects. I know that Skyler had some terrible side effects of morphine (and morphine withdrawl), and it doesn't sound any better with your anti-anxiety meds. The more you rest, the faster you will heal. Sooner than you know, you'll be walking out of there on your own power!

Do you have anything you can watch on your computer? Maybe a movie or some shows. What drugs do they still have you on?

Yeah. I've been having some not so great feelings in my stomach myself, I have my moments where i can barely stay awake, and when I'm not taking short walks I like to sit in bed and try and stay alert and awake and this site helps.
THAT is exactly what you must do WALK,REST,keep nourished and REPEAT TIME AND TIME AGAIN dont forget the breathing exercises and put the ICCU experience in the past and look ahead to a smooth recovery

I can tell you I won't be TRYING to stay awake...I figure I've banked plenty of extra sleep hours because of all the sleep I haven't gotten while waiting for this surgery :)

I was released from the hospital today at about 230pm, I'll be in a hotel till Thursday morning, than ill make my journey back home. Just laying in bed watching TV, get up to walk about every hour for 5-10 mins, drink water. Repeat. I'm sore and my stomach is the only really bad thing bothering me.

Mom2izzy, I myself lost quite a bit of sleep be causing of anxiety and fear due to this surgery, I wish I could take it all back. Other than 1 bad night which I blame nurses for I really wish I wouldn't have been so anxious. I know it's easier than said because I was told it all the time, but it's mind blowing how fast it all really does go, other than the recovery part, which is the easy and pampering part :D

Ahh Ovie!!
Thats amazing news, so pleased your out of there! But take it easy!!!
Hope your stomach settles soon,
here's to a noce smooth recovery!
Well done :D
Love Sarah xxx

Ovie,
It worries me a bit if you are alone in the hotel.
Is anyone checking on you?
Mass General was very firm for the newly released OHS patients to have someone with them the better part of every day for at least the first week. I abided by that the first few days but then found I was okay but it worries me to think of you being alone when you shower, particularly.

Sorry to hear about your experience in ICU. I remember having a nurse planted in the doorway the entire time. When I moved or opened my eyes, she was right there asking if I needed anything.

My partner is a nurse and tells me that the 'normal' procedure for ICU patients is 1 on 1 care. It surprises me that you were left alone. Regarding your 5 min call incident, it's possible that the nurse was running to get something. There's always a 'float' nurse to cover for someone on break or has to leave the floor.

If you have complaints about the care, you should write a letter to the manager of the ICU and Patient Relations. Names and specifics are key. Everything is (should be) extremely documented. (I remember the HUGE piece of paper that the nurses kept unfolding to make notes)

Glad to see you on the other side, and hear that you are doing well enough to be released. Keep on chugging!

Try to get up as often as possible and walk thru the skyway in the Mayo complex. (I think thats where you were?) Moving around, as hard as it might be, was most helpful for me. Being cooped up in the hotel room can be a bit depressing.

Also, watch the intake on the meds, particularly the pain killers. The stuff they prescribed to me for pain can be highly addictive - if you have those be very very mindful. Generally speaking, if you still need the pain meds after one week (or two weeks tops) you need to speak to a local Dr. I found the tylenol better because it helped with any inflammation, but you have to watch that one as well.

I had the nurse from Hell for my first 12 hours post-op, in CICU. Not rude, inattentive or incompetent, but (1) convinced that the LESS I knew the better(!), and (2) Not just completely humorless, but convinced (trained?) that humor was a Bad Thing! "Joking and smiling(!) have no place in the work environment, and least of all in a hospital!"

I woke up trying to make light of the situation, and make a social connection to my new "partner", but I soon started looking forward to her breaks! (Her replacement was a fun guy.)

Re catheters and hoses and wires: I was WAY more paranoid about pulling on something than any of my nurses, and it stood me in good stead. (Decades ago, a Red Cross nurse got the blood bag too far away from my arm while I was giving blood, causing a red geyser and a hematoma, and I decided that once was enough!)

My brother is in my room with me, and my dad and step moms room is connected to mine, so I'm pretty good in that aspect.

I usually take the lighter pain meds with a Tylenol morning and evening than take my stronger PK before bed. I've been doing a good share of walking, went down to the hotel restaurant tonight for dinner and it just drained me, good to get out of the room but may have pushed it a little too quick. Otherwise doing what I gotta do and just hoping for a smoothe recovery.

Ovie,

I remember well the feeling of being so weak for the first couple of weeks. It seems to take forever to start improving, but then it picks up pretty quickly. Probably more so the younger you are and if you are in reasonably good shape to start with. Push it, but not too hard. You'll know how much to do.

Latest posts

Back