Heat beat

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zztimeout

Hi everyone ... Had aorta replacement along with a heap of problems as you can read below... I am 4 weeks post op now and I am back to work on desk job 2 days a week and walking 2 km per day... My question is the heart beat... If I put my hand on my left chest roughly where the heart is, I can hardly feel it but if I put my hand in middle of chest at the top (roughly where my scar starts) you van REALLY feel it thumping away.. My heart rate is perfect and blood pressure is good... I can feel it up in my neck as well... Anyone else have this ??

Yep, I had it too. Sometimes mine moved up into the base of my head and I felt like I had a metronome ticking in my brain. I asked my cardio about it and he was no help. I do know that it gradually subsided with time. I hope yours does too.
Mary

I think a lot of it has to do with where our internals have "shifted" during surgery and recovery. I can feel my pulse/heartbeat in my left upper chest. I doubt that my heart is there, but a major artery is close enough to the surface to be felt.

I can also hear and feel my pulse in various positions lying down with my head on a pillow.

As Ken said, I don't worry about it. It means that I'm still here kickin'!

I had surgery on the 7th of March and had the exact same thing. Actually, when I take a deep breath and hold, it is magnified as far as the beating in the center of my chest. Hasn't really concerned my doc at all, so I haven't worried about it either.

Perfectly normal. I asked my dad about this who had the same surgery as I did way back in 1983 and he said that he still feels it today depending on the position he sits or lays in. He moves positions and it's not as loud or hard. It does fade over time though. He's such a skinny thing, you can hear him ticking from across the room... Glad my ticking is only "in my head".

No Aorta replacement here, and I haven't noticed much shifting, but I DID notice lots of post-op pounding, heart beating out of my chest, thumping in my throat, etc. For the first few weeks, pounding heart was one of the things that kept me from sleeping more than 2 or 3 hours at a stretch.

It gradually faded for me. But very recently, towards 7 months post-op, my resting (in bed) HR has been dropping, often lower than I ever measured it during my first ~65 years, and when it does that, the individual heartbeats/pulses are HUGE. A coupla nights ago it took me an extra minute or two to fall asleep while I marveled at the slow drum-beat. A month ago I noticed some "ventricular bigemini", ~5 minutes of "regular irregular" beat, beat, skip, beat, beat, skip, beat, beat, skip, . . . That seems to have passed, but now I'm getting the slow (<50 bpm!) HR with BIG beats instead.

I mentioned the bigemini to the RN who runs my Cardio Rehab program. She didn't rush me to the ER, or even my Cardio, though we discussed it a bit -- and it went away. Haven't discussed the ultra-slow pounding with her, maybe tomorrow.

To me, all this stuff seems consistent with the concept of "remodeling". The heart -- as a pump and as a complex electrical gizmo that responds to the rest of the body's signals/needs -- is re-learning how to do all its different jobs: slowing down, speeding up, changing volumes, coordinating its many components, having a pulse-rate that's BOTH rock-solid steady AND flexible and variable. . . I think mine's generally doing a great job, but it seems to be doing some "hunting" or "exploring" on the way to finding its "new normal".

Latest posts

Back