heart valve replacent by stent

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A question I've been wondering about regarding these transcatheter approaches involves the delivery route. Typically there's three options and only two seem reasonable I guess. The transfemoral (delivered via the femoral artery) and transapical (delivered via a small incision in the apex of the left ventricle). I think the Edwards PARTNER trials had the transapical route method stopped in one or both categories.

I'm wondering why they don't use a similar to transapical method and make a small incision and route through aorta. For an aortic valve; to me anyway, it would seem the easiest and most normal. As that's the route an artificial valve replacement takes. Open the aorta and proceed to the aortic valve nearby.

Since nobody even trials that approach there must be a good reason. I was just wondering if anyone knows why. And even better, if anyone knows of any links to articles about such a method.

This is what i am having done!! But rather than it be my aortic valve it's my pulmonary valve! xxxx

My surgeon in Montreal, Canada, has done these replacements over the past several years, but only in the elderly who
would probably not survive a traditional OHS. It is still a very new and impressive procedure with great potential.

A question I've been wondering about regarding these transcatheter approaches involves the delivery route. Typically there's three options and only two seem reasonable I guess. The transfemoral (delivered via the femoral artery) and transapical (delivered via a small incision in the apex of the left ventricle). I think the Edwards PARTNER trials had the transapical route method stopped in one or both categories.

I'm wondering why they don't use a similar to transapical method and make a small incision and route through aorta. For an aortic valve; to me anyway, it would seem the easiest and most normal. As that's the route an artificial valve replacement takes. Open the aorta and proceed to the aortic valve nearby.

Since nobody even trials that approach there must be a good reason. I was just wondering if anyone knows why. And even better, if anyone knows of any links to articles about such a method.

Im not sure I think they prefer to go with the blood flow not against it tho. I THINK part f the reason the transapical route method didnt do as well a the femorial rout in the Sapien trials is the pateints who had transapial route were in worse shape than the ones that could have fem caths, (and the femorial pateints were in bad shape to start with) since they couldnt do femoral on them, with much more plaque already have more strokes ect.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back