Heart Lung Machines

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this underscores why it is important to find the best possible surgeon, who can perform the procedure efficiently and without delay (because he has done so many of them successfully) -- and therefore you are on the heart-lung machine for a shorter time than might otherwise be the case. And therefore the chances of pump head being an after-effect are lessened. My surgeon did my complex surgery in 5 hours, and my cardio told me some surgeons take twice that long.

Ya mean that if I DON'T experience pumphead, I must not have been all that sharp to begin with?

Just kidding, but if I experienced any memory decline, it must have been during the first few weeks before I went back to work. I really don't think I've noticed any decline in short-term memory, and my job also requires remembering countless details (both finance and IT) of a mid-sized manufacturing company. I guess that's the luck of the draw.

I truly think that with the whole body including heart and brain it takes years to recover not months. It may be true that some effects might be permanent but it really depends on the persons drive to overcoming the problem with determination. Its commonly said to stroke victims that after 6 months you will see all the improvement you will see. Studies are now showing the brain continues to adapt well after 6 month with continued therapy and determination. I'm determined to be better than before, just give me some time.

Heck, I still forget words for things/my students' names/where I put my keys...that sort of thing. But I'm old. OK, I'm 36. Still, the only drawback for me with the heart-lung machine is this: I had minimally invasive surgery, and the tubes they used were inserted into my right femoral artery at the groin. Eight months later my foot was as cold as ice. Went to my cardio (just in case it happened to be a circulatory thing) and the next thing I knew, I was in the cardiology department--five years ago today, on Valentine's Day--having a doppler ultrasound of my artery. Turned out I had developed scar tiisue INSIDE my artery because some surgical resident put the tubes in the wrong spot. A week later I had a balloon angioplasty. My right leg, to this day, is still like a weather vane. At least the Hubster got to see my Valentine's undies that night as we sat in the doppler room having my artery examined.

That was the only drawback for me. Now, excuse me why I try to remember where I put my car keys...

I was really worried about pumphead and discussed it with my anestheseaolgist (SP). I even gave him a print out of a Duke study siting the making the body temp slightly colder reduced pumphead.

Anyway, 1 day after surgery when they took me off morphine I wasincredibly alert and "with it." In fact, I think I'm sharper now post surgery-- must be getting better blood flow after AVR.

Like "DT" in the weeks before surgery, I was having a terrible time thinking and had little ability to concentrate. Considering that when we get to the point that we need OHS our prognosis is pretty grim, issues with the heart lung machine don't seem so bad. My surgeon was also reassuring that the current equipment is much less likely to produce cognitive issues and that proved to be the case when I woke up. That first morning when I woke up alert for the first time was a wonderful experience. I did have problems concentrating for a few days but that was caused by the drugs in my system and, as they were flushed out, that passed.

It is a risk but wouldn't you all agree that it is a risk well worth taking considering the alternative?

Larry

quoted wrong post and can't find delete button. Maybe I do have pumphead lol.

From what I've read here, pumphead does exist but it does not affect all patients. Some doctors have opined that the hospitals having the newest filters for their machines have the lowest incidence of issues, but I don't think that has been proven.

I don't think I was affected, as I was on my cell phone answering work emails the day after my surgery. I just didn't have a long attention span for a while.

I have also read that the quality of the filter (the ability to remove the tiniest of air bubbles) is the most important design of the heart-lung machine. I had both of my surgeries at Duke Medical Center and they were at the forefront of using the most advanced filters on the market. I did have some cognitive issues shortly after surgery but I felt these issues had more to due the the anesthesia and pain meds than the pump. Within a few weeks I had no memory issues...at least to the best of my recollection. ;)

Pump head was not an issue.I had a number of questions Before my 5 1/2 hr surgery and they were still with me post op. This was proff to me that all systems were , "go".

Just saw your post and wanted to put in my two cents in this subject. When you are on the heart and lung machine, you are at its mercy. When it is over, the brain acts strange and when you are better, there are some problems. I had to relearn things at work, I tried to work on concentration at home, it was hard to do. I had problems with concentration for a long time, till recently, with a job change, but still hate what the machine did to the brain. I had to find ways work things out. It was hard to concentrate on my work and reading and other things that I needed to concentrate on. I am able to work on it better now, but I still have problems. But this is not to scare anyone from surgery when it is needed and necessary. Hugs for everyone today.

Being on the heart/lung machine makes the surgery possible and I am very thankful for that. Having said that my memory and concentration is worse since my surgery and I am four years out. I don't think it will ever be what it was prior to my heart surgery.

I was really cloudy for about a month or so. Almost 3 years later, I can honestly say that my attention to detail has not been affected. I am a numbers guy. The only thing I have a concern about is that sometimes during conversations, I'm looking about a word and can't think of it. Anyone else feel this way?

Just a suggestion that I didn't use after my first surgery but did after my second surgery is to do things that keep your mind active. Play card games, do crossword puzzle, anything that "exercises" you mind. I had gotten into playing texas holdem online for play chips while waiting for my 2nd surgery and I felt it really helped my mind get kick started after surgery. It was ugly at first (glad I was playing for play chips) but I felt like it got my mental acuity back on track earlier than my first surgery.

I'm just wondering if these types of memory issues might result from other types of body changes as well. I can honestly say that during the time that I was nursing my daughter. I used to swear she was sucking out brain cells along with the milk. I would lose my train of thought mid-sentence, forget words, and miss meetings or appointments because they slipped my mind...oh and I was always losing things (like those keys I put in my pocket 10 minutes ago). I don't know if it was because of the nursing, the hormones, the surgery (c-section) or the anxiety over having a new baby. I haven't been through my OHS yet, but I've already seen a few of these symptoms pop up again which makes me think the anxiety could be a factor. I'm not saying pump head isn't a very real thing, just wondering if there could be other factors contributing to how long it lasts for different people.

Mom2izzy, my wife told me all about "Mommy Brain" which I hear most women get post giving birth. I can totally see your point here, and it is a very good/interesting analogy.

I woke up from surgery, and I remember having a very detailed conversation with one of the doctors about banking and the economy (my line of work). He had so many questions. I have to deal with mathematics and lawyers and all that all day, and I might actually suspect my cognitive ability is better than before surgery. Feel much more able to isolate a problem these days. I am not on as much beta blocker, for one thing. Maybe that helps.

My wife might tell you that I forget about household chores lol, and she cuts me some slack, but I hope she never finds this site. :)

I'm just wondering if these types of memory issues might result from other types of body changes as well. I can honestly say that during the time that I was nursing my daughter. I used to swear she was sucking out brain cells along with the milk. I would lose my train of thought mid-sentence, forget words, and miss meetings or appointments because they slipped my mind...oh and I was always losing things (like those keys I put in my pocket 10 minutes ago). I don't know if it was because of the nursing, the hormones, the surgery (c-section) or the anxiety over having a new baby. I haven't been through my OHS yet, but I've already seen a few of these symptoms pop up again which makes me think the anxiety could be a factor. I'm not saying pump head isn't a very real thing, just wondering if there could be other factors contributing to how long it lasts for different people.

Funny you should mention this, my wife and I did a side by side comparison of sorts, although she was around 8 weeks after my surgery when she gave birth. 3 hours or so on the heart-lung for me versus a natural birth (no drugs, anything for her, wow) for my wife. Well, guess who still came out on top (the least ill effects) in the brain challenge? Me, by a long shot. I would have won Day 1 after my surgery too, so I tell you what, even after my own experience with open heart surgery, I have nothing but the utmost respect for mothers around the world and what they go through.

can anyone tell me my name? It does jack up your memory, but that's life. I find it hard to believe it will increase chances for early degradation though.

Latest posts

Back