Heart Disease

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtkayak

I have a question that I have wondered about for some time now. I'm sure this question has been posed before but why not ask again. I don't even think I've ask my Dr. this question but maybe I will next time.

Do you think people with Congential Heart Disease, though they maybe curable through surgery, are predisposed to have other Heart Diseases later in life? When we have a simple valve replacement, simple meaning no other problems, are we really fixed for life? Of course, this ruling out anybody with a tissue valve who may require multiple surgeries but still the same problems. And this might rule out some folks who have chronic A-fibs, PVC, arrythmias, ect. that might lead to other problems. And of course, if we have the surgery soon enough so that there is no permanent damage done. All things considered....

With a heart in otherwise good condition, and just a defective valve, have problems with other heart related problems later in life? Are we normal after we are fixed even though our heart may sound different?

Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) is a function of heredity and diet.

Plaque builds up over the years from cholesterol (LDL) deposits. CAD begins to be common around age 50 but early signs were noted even in autopsies of Vietnam casualties.

Atrial Fibrilation begins to show up in the general population after age 60, especially white males. It is very common after age 80.

Damage from Radiation to the Chest can also cause Heart problems such as hypetrophy, scarring of the coronary arteries, and valve damage (usually to the Aortic and Mitral Valves). We have over 10 members who required valve replacement 20 to 30 years after receiving radiation therapy (most for Hodgkin's Disease).

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back