Heart beats too hard when i lie down

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denobobeno

when I lie down at night for sleep my heart punds so hard it throbs in my head and keeps mr awake. It started mostly in the past month amd I sleep with three pillows because it has been comming on gradually. Anyone else had this?
Thanks, Deana:biggrin2:

when I lie down at night for sleep my heart punds so hard it throbs in my head and keeps mr awake. It started mostly in the past month amd I sleep with three pillows because it has been comming on gradually. Anyone else had this?
Thanks, Deana:biggrin2:

Hi Deano.
Yes, i get this every time i lie down. It has slightly worried me, as I can here it
missing/changing beats at times! I can here it in my head, especially if I exercise
too hard.
I used to think it was blood-pressure, but found out it is my heart. I had AVR replacement
on the 12th August 2011.
I just accept it as part of the process. When did you have your op?
See Ya
Brian

I had my surgery in 2006 Although I have experienced the loud heartbeat etc this is different and keeps me awake, thus blogging at 1:15 a.m. Lol I just took a xanax to try to help, but I try to not ever have to tak aything usually.. But after several nights :eek2: i better get some shut eye

When is your next appointment with your cardiologist? I would tell him/her about it if it continues much longer. I would expect things like this early on after AVR but not appearing 5 years later.

I get it once in awhile, last night happen to be one of them, crappy night sleep..got up and took antihistamine to help me sleep then went to couch and slept. Not sure but changing my environment from bed to couch sometimes helps.
I also will add that I used to have this same problem before the operation, so in my case it is just normal for me I believe.

When I first lay down at night I can hear it very loudly. Sometimes I count the good beat before the miss beats. Like counting sheep. During the night when I wake up the beats are regular even in the same position. Have learned that I can not lay on my left side when I go to bed. Later in the night it is OK. I know I am weird but that is the way it is. Probably would not be alive today without my valve(2 holer I was told) by now a little over 3 years out.

I did have this problem right after surgery, for upwards of 3-4 months. I had to take an Ambien every night for almost six months, with only four days that I missed it. Those four nights were miserable enough to remind me that I wanted to take the pills. Over Thanksgiving I thought I would try going without the pills again, and it did the trick this time. I have only used one since Thanksgiving, and that includes a weeklong vacation to Cancun and a work trip to Germany and the Netherlands. Pretty good! I can't fall asleep on my back as my heart seems louder and stronger there, but either side works well for me now.

Deno...since your surgery was 5-6 years ago, and this is a new "experience", I would definitely make an appointment with either my PCP or cardiologist. If it's interfering with your daily life (and sleep is part of your daily life) then you should have it looked at.
JMHO

Mine was beating too hard all the time; i was put on a new med and it helped a lot,
Love Sarah xxxxx

As the others have said, this is common after surgery but in my case it faded after a couple of months. You might also consider sending your Cardiologist a FAX. Better than a telephone call to a receptionist who will just jot down a short note, with a FAX you can describe your experience and ask your questions. It would at least alert your doctor to the fact that something has changed.

Larry

It just so happens that I have an appointment in January coming up and my Cardiologist wanted to do a cartoid artery study..? This was an appt made a few months ago. I have been experiencing some crazy beats and pressure on left side of my neck. I don't know what all that adds up to.?
I bought 2 huge pillows and it helps to sleep sitting up, like I did after surgery. I have probably had a lot more stress due to a death recently, along with Christmas.. Maybe it all adds up to stress?.. Idk :smile2:
Thanks for all your help!!! Deno

I have this problem every single night, it's like the movie Alien with the little creature bursting through your chest ( sorry, only example I could compare this to ) except its only when I lay on my left side which I find odd, and figured this would stop after surgery but apparently it doesn't?

I've had this experience too. As the last person mentioned, I found lying on a different side or adjusting my sleeping position helps.

Heart Beats

Heart Beats

Oh, yes I know it all too well.

It has taken me years to adust. I began taking valarian root supplements and it did help me sleep. Granted I went years without getting an hour or 2 max. Stay hydrated and drink your daily requirements for water. Eat less and go for short walks. It will help you sleep. Consult your family practitioner as well.

No caffine either.

Most importantly meditation in the mornings and evenings or even mid-afternoon with no food or drink an hour before and after does make a difference.

You'll have to maintain it. It is a really difficult balance with medications.

I've had severe nausea on some days and instead of lying in bed where my heart speed up and pounds very loudly I go for a walk. about a mile or two until the nausea goes away. Be careful. You start feeling great during exercise and you don't realize you've overdone it. Then you'll be set back for another week.

I'd suggest a macrobiotic diet or more leafy green veggies like kale (steamed). Detox the body with whole foods. Cayene pepper instead of salt (good for kidneys). And research everything you eat in a nutritional database. The more anti-inflammatory the better.

Qi gong and Tai chi have helped me but you'll have to maintain a practice and find a qualifed practitioner. Acupuncture helps too but insurance doesn't cover. I'd prefer going for acupuncture regularly.

Do you know that this is an extra hard heartbeat or whether it's the valve clicking that's making you feel like it's a hard heartbeat? I can definitely feel my heartbeat when I put my hand on my chest but figured it was just the mechanical valve opening/closing.

My sugery was 18 months ago and I still have this same issue. I hate laying down at night to feel and hear it. It does not matter what side I lay on I can hear it in my head and feel the ever changing beats! I have had it checked out by several doctors but they say I am fine it just bother me . they have given me alporzolam to take at night to help with the panic feelings I get.I have been able to hear and feel it from day one of the surgery. my first memory after the surgery is waking up and asking what is that noise and it has been with me ever sense.But I try to look at it as if I can feel it and hear I am still alive!

I've been home for a few days with a 29mm tissue valve. I was surprised to find that I hear it at night as well. I've been told that as my left ventricle shrinks back to a normal size, and the heart settles in, that the sound should go pretty much away.

If any of you have an iphone, i found an app last night called Sleep Pillow. It's awesome!! I never was one to have noises in the room during sleep, but I would have still gotten this a long time ago if id known about it! You can set it to play 100s of noises from raining, wind, ocean waves, fireplace crackling, and my latest personal favorite, the sound of rain hitting a tent! It's really great and all of you need to check it out. If you don't have an iphone, there's plenty of these apps out there. They're usually listed as white noise apps, although I still don't know what white noise actually is.

Later.

So funny Neo, my husband discovered "urban rain" app after surgery...I don't think we can sleep without it!

Latest posts

Back