Have a question?! any one got an answer

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extraordinary

after having my open heart surgery and a very long middle of the chest scar
after 3 days of the surgery i've noticed a scar on the right side of my upper thigh !!! the doctor didn't mention that for me before or after and i've already had 2 open heart surgeries before and no now opened or touched this area this time i don't know why ? what bothers me that they didn't mention it to me I'm the one who had to notice if an after 4 days of the surgery I've had it swollen just like a ball !!!!
why he mad this ? is it common ? why they didn't mention it to me ?

Hi

after having my open heart surgery .. i've noticed a scar on the right side of my upper thigh !!! the doctor didn't mention that for me before or after and i've already had 2 open heart surgeries before and no now opened or touched this area this time i don't know why ?

This sounds like they were looking for an alternative place to attach a heart blood bypass. I was shaved there pre surgery and told that they might need to access this way if some complications arose.

what bothers me that they didn't mention it to me I'm the one who had to notice if an after 4 days of the surgery I've had it swollen just like a ball !!!!
That is bad and it sounds very like the symptoms at can happen when that artery is not properly healed and leaks from the blood pressure. This was what they told me when I had a angiogram.

why they didn't mention it to me ?

No idea. Sounds like a mistake to me too, perhaps they assumed your artery would be healed by the time you were moving in post op. If it has swollen that's clear that it did not heal.

You should definitely bring this up with them.

If it is swollen, you should mention it. I think others are right they used that spot for the heart lung machine hookup as they told me they may need to do it there, but did not in the end. It may be you have developed a hematoma which should go away on its own, but again ask the doctor about it to be sure.

I think pellicle and dwhist have diagnosed it. You definitely should discuss it with your doctor. If it is a hematoma, they may want to prescribe meds to help dissolve it and prevent it from causing any trouble.

Hi

This sounds like they were looking for an alternative place to attach a heart blood bypass. I was shaved there pre surgery and told that they might need to access this way if some complications arose.

That is bad and it sounds very like the symptoms at can happen when that artery is not properly healed and leaks from the blood pressure. This was what they told me when I had a angiogram.

No idea. Sounds like a mistake to me too, perhaps they assumed your artery would be healed by the time you were moving in post op. If it has swollen that's clear that it did not heal.

You should definitely bring this up with them.

you are right i've asked the doctor today and i've told him that I'm upset because no one mentioned it to me not before or after the surgery
they said it was just in case i need bypass but i didn't need it !!! they had an echogram and its appears to be just a clot of blood which was bleeding and it would go on it on but it will take time that's what they doctor told me and he told me it's good to apply pressure or wear spendx!

i don't know I'm really upset for not letting me know but the doctor said if i were you i wouldn't be because this is a big surgery you had and this cut is nothing

yes that's what they told met too but as as i mentioned what really upsets me that they didn't tell me as i've had to discover it on my own

Your situation brought back memories for me from 1989. I, too, awoke with a 3" incision in my left groin. The possibility of having an opening there was never brought up by my 1st surgeon. Apparently, I had to be connected to the heart/lung machine differently than they expected, as my aneurysm was too close to the area they would normally use, and he didn't want to cut off circulation to my brain!
I didn't end up with a clot, but I do remember this incision hurt more and longer than my sternal incision. So, be prepared.
Sorry this happened to you, but I do hope it will heal fine.

Regardless of how necessary it may have been, their response to you was a bit heartless. They should respect your concerns.

not hematoma it's SEROMA

I googled Seroma and, indeed, it is possible the doctors said it is a seroma.

Wiki defines it as a pocket of serous fluid that sometimes develops after surgery.
Also, the poster is from Kuwait and there could be language differences.

The poster (extraordinary) is at the Cleveland Clinic, if I recall correctly.

We learn something new every day...
extraordinary - I hope it heals quickly for you.

I googled Seroma and, indeed, it is possible the doctors said it is a seroma.

Wiki defines it as a pocket of serous fluid that sometimes develops after surgery.
Also, the poster is from Kuwait and there could be language differences.

No actually it's ENGLISH! This is what's the nurse in Cleveland clinic told me it was
Yes I'm from Kuwait but treated in USA ( Cleveland clinic ) so has nothing to do with where I'm from and thanks ! ^-^

Your situation brought back memories for me from 1989. I, too, awoke with a 3" incision in my left groin. The possibility of having an opening there was never brought up by my 1st surgeon. Apparently, I had to be connected to the heart/lung machine differently than they expected, as my aneurysm was too close to the area they would normally use, and he didn't want to cut off circulation to my brain!
I didn't end up with a clot, but I do remember this incision hurt more and longer than my sternal incision. So, be prepared.
Sorry this happened to you, but I do hope it will heal fine.

Oooh story of my life :D
Lool so imagine how hurt it would be with a clot ! Guess it's a price that I had to pay :( hope this disappears soon
Thankssss <3

Latest posts

Back