Happy Autumn To All!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Autumn to you Skeptic. We've had three wonderfully sunny days over here so I'm hoping for an indian autumn never mind indian summer. Incidentally does anyone know where the term 'indian summer' comes from? A weather question that I hope doesn't mess the thread up.

nobody knows the origin for sure but I found this:

The term Indian summer has been used for more than two centuries. The earliest known use was by French American writer St. John de Crevecoeur in rural New York in 1778. There are several theories as to its etymology:

In The Americans, The Colonial Experience, Daniel J. Boorstin speculates that the term originated from raids on European colonies by Indian war parties; these raids usually ended in autumn, hence the extension to summer-like weather in the fall as an Indian summer. Two of the three other known uses of the term in the 18th century are from accounts kept by two army officers leading retaliation expeditions against Indians for raids on settlers in Ohio and Indiana in 1790, and Pennsylvania in 1794.

It may be so named because this was the traditional period during which early North Americans First Nations/Native American harvested their crops.
It could be so named because the phenomenon was more common in what were then North American Indian territories, as opposed to the Eastern Seaboard.

It may be of Asian Indian origin rather than North American Indian. H. E. Ware, an English writer, noted that ships traversing the Indian Ocean loaded their cargo most often during the Indian summer, or fair weather season. Several ships actually had an "I.S." on their hull at the load level thought safe during Indian summer. However this usage refers to the actual high summer in India, not to a late warm spell.

Happy Autumn to everyone too! We're having beautiful weather in the 70's here with almost 2 whole weeks of sun and no rain. Better weather than we have had all summer (we have had lots of rain this year). I love the fall and the colored leaves (we live in the Allegany mountain foothills so there is a lot of beautiful scenery). I just noticed that one of our trees has some red and yellow leaves on it. I just don't like what comes afterwards....we're near Buffalo and we get lots of snow and blizzards sometimes...brrrr! But for now i'm enjoying the gorgeous days we're having :eek:))).

I miss summer already!:D I love the 90-100+ days in Middle Georgia with high humidity, lazy days in the pool and long days of sunlight. I can not stand those terribly cold 30-40 degree days! The leaves turn color then fall and everything turns gray. Trees look like sticks.Grass looks dead.Pool water is cold.

How long till spring? I may consider hibernating.

On the other hand every day is beautiful thanks to the Lord. I think I will enjoy them all.

Hi Jim! Hi All!
HAPPY AUTUMN! This is the time of year that we see the colors of nature that artists attempt to capture and honor. I wish everyone fair weather, fabulous color and good health!
Allan

P.S.
Jim, Thanks for sharing your Autumn Pictures!

How long till spring? I may consider hibernating.

Me, TOO!!!!!

I really have grown to dislike the fall, except of course for the "fall colors"...those are always gorgeous to see.

BUT...fall means WINTER is coming soon...which means that soon I'll have to put my older 4 (and hopefully all 5 this year, if I can find a winter beater) Monte Carlos away for a few months...arg. I always get a bit antsy this time of year :(.

HOWEVER...this year may be the ONLY year in the last 10 ... and the coming 10 or so that I will ENJOY looking forward to November...my nephew will be entering the world in early November...so...I can't wait for him to arrive so I can start corrupting him like I've corrupted all of my friends' kids ;).

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Someone lights the way with just a single ray of hope" ... Alabama ... 'Angels Among Us'

I really have grown to dislike the fall, except of course for the "fall colors"...those are always gorgeous to see.

:( :( :( For those of us like me, suffering red green colour blindness, autumn is just a dirty brown/beige affair. None of the splendour you normal sighted people see. :mad:

Latest posts

Back