Half marathons - Medtronic Twin Cities marathon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enkaynj

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Has anybody from this forum run in marathons after valve replacement ? I have never run a marathon of any sorts before. I am 1yr post-op and lately been running 3 miles every other day and found out that I no longer go out of breath within 1/2 a mile. So, I want to take the next step and try my hand at a half marathon. Specifically looking to sign up for the Twin Cities Medtronic Global Heroes Marathon in 2013 before graduating on to competing in open-for-all marathons.
Thanks in advance for sharing any tips based on your experience.

This is a great question! I know that there are others with valve replacements who run long distances, it would be nice to hear from them!!!! I used to run 1/2's before my surgery, now my longest run is about 8 miles but I'm also interested in running more 1/2's in the future.

Rachel

I have run lots of long distance race over the past two years. Most are over the hills and usually between 18 and 25 miles. There are quite a few members on this forum who have run road marathons but I am not sure if they are still regularly posters.
If you feel OK at the moment with the shorter runs then enter the marathon - it is a good incentive to gradually build up the training. I did that early this year with a race called the Yorkshire Three Peaks Fell Race. I was not sure whether I would make the cut off times at some of the check points. This made me put the miles of training in and I did actually make the cut offs with time to spare.

Good look with your marathon (or half marathon) training:)

Last edited:
No marathons for me, but then I never did them before it either. I've done loads of 10-14 mile runs though. No idea how many, scores I guess. I'm 21 yrs post AVR with over 250 races anywhere from 1 mile up to 10.

You can run any distance that you put your mind to. Use common sense, pay attention to how you feel, and make sure your cardiologist gives you clearance.

I ran marathons before my surgery, keep in mind you'll need to train for at least 6 months. A group of Cardiac Athletes (cardiacathletes.org) are traveling to Baltimore next week to run a relay, the 1/2 marathon, and a couple are running the full marathon. This will be my first 1/2 marathon since valve replacement, planning on two more in early 2013.

There are several valvers over at CA that run marathons, Tom Price, Spartangator, Echoguy and Bean Counter are ones that come to mind. Sign up and then sign in to read their threads. :thumbup:

I don't run as many events anymore, choose ones that I am interested in. My running history includes 4 Marathons, lots of 5ks, 10ks, 1 - 1/2 marathon.

Post Op:

Peace of Mind 5K, 6-14-2008, 7 months post op
Silicon Labs Austin Marathon and Relay, 9-21-2008, 10 months post op; 7 mile leg
Army 10 Miler, 10-5-2008, 11 months post op
Race for the Cure, 5K, 11-2-2008, not quite 1 year post op
Turkey Trot, 5 miles; 11-27-2008, 1 yr, 1 wk post op
Harrisburg Marathon and Relay (I ran the relay), 11-14-2010, 4.6 mile leg

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips and pointers.Based in the advice proferred here, I think I will start small with 5K's, sign up and get in shape for the TC 10 miler next year. Will report back later. Gotta run (just kidding :)

I guess I checked into the site at the right time. I started running 33 years ago because of family heart issues and at the time I had no idea I was going to end up going through an aortic valve replacement. Prior to my surgery, which just happened to be 6 years ago on Oct 5, I had run 50 marathons. One of my goals after surgery was to run my favorite which was one year and one day post surgery and I did it. Since then I have complete 6 more. It will take time and dedication to get where you want to be but it certainly can be done and with will and determination you can do it. Listen to your body and let it be your guide. I would recommend finding a good training program
(http://www.halhigdon.com/) has many for both half and full marathons. Good luck and keep on posting. BTW, I just posted a sixth anniverary post that may interest you.

You bet you can run marathons post op! Notice I didn't say marathon. Once you've run one, more will be in your future! I was a Medtronic Global Hero in 2007. I would whole heartedly urge you to go for it! The weekend is absolutley outstanding there. You are treated like royalty. No, you cannot wear out your valve by running long distances. You can certainly help you heart by working out!

Hi everyone!

I am dancing in my seat right now, I'm so happy to hear about all of your success stories!!!

My surgeon cleared me to run and told me a year ago that running will not effect the life of my valve.... but my cardiologist recently told me: "I can't tell you that you can't run, because you can, but if you do, you'll just wear out your valve sooner."

So, thank you all for your inspiration and thanks Enkaynj for posting the question! I'm keeping my goal for the half by next year!!!

Rachel

I started doing triathlons three years after my surgery. My running was slow, so I decided to train for a half marathon to improve my running. Did my first one in 2009 at age 55 and have done one a year since, except when I was recovering from an Achilles injury. Just started upping my weekly mileage to get ready for the 2013 Sarasota Half in March. I enjoy the half marathon distance and really have no desire to do a full marathon. At age 59 I'm not sure my body would hold up under to the higher mileage required to train for a full marathon.
I do the Galloway run/walk method for my long runs to help manage my Achilles and some chronic knee problems.
Good luck,
Mark

PS, My avatar picture was taken at the 2009 Sarasota Half Marathon that I did with my son, Scott.

Last edited:
Absolutely, you can do marathons post-surgery. I never came close to doing such a thing beforehand and now do distance events regularly. As LucyLou and Kodi point out, be smart with your training, allow recovery time, and be patient with yourself, but you can certainly do it. Talk to your care team about your plans and your timelines, too, of course.

Tom,
That is wonderful news. Congratulations. How tough was the selection process ? Were there strict elimination criteria ? I am just a beginner runner, wondering what my chances are to get into the race.
Hope to see you next year at the TC marathon, perhaps ?
Cheers.

I guess I checked into the site at the right time. I started running 33 years ago because of family heart issues and at the time I had no idea I was going to end up going through an aortic valve replacement. Prior to my surgery, which just happened to be 6 years ago on Oct 5, I had run 50 marathons. One of my goals after surgery was to run my favorite which was one year and one day post surgery and I did it. Since then I have complete 6 more. It will take time and dedication to get where you want to be but it certainly can be done and with will and determination you can do it. Listen to your body and let it be your guide. I would recommend finding a good training program
(http://www.halhigdon.com/) has many for both half and full marathons. Good luck and keep on posting. BTW, I just posted a sixth anniverary post that may interest you.

Kodi,
Thanks for the halhigdon link. Chockfull of tips.

I began serious running at age 48 (to try to stay young, it didn't work, ha!) and ran three marathons and several other races including halfs, 10ks, 5ks, and three sprint tris. In June, at age 60, I learned I had a seriously leaking aortic valve. My first question for the surgeon was "did all my many miles of running cause this?". He answered it rather indirectly, but said that runners were an orthopedic surgeon's best friend, and that he would not discourage someone from doing cardiac exercise.
I checked with my cardiologist last week because I was worried about stressing my heart too much at just 8 weeks post op after bovine tissue valve installation. He did an ekg, reminded me I had no blockages, saw that my bp was normal and heart rate was at 70 bpm. I asked if I should get a heart monitor and keep the pulse at a lower level, say 130 bpm. He didn't think that was necessary and told me to listen to my body but feel free to keep up the exercise.
Bottom line, at age 60, I plan to resume running at three months post-op (now doing 5 mile walks and 30 minutes on an exercise bike). As long as my knees hold up, I will run because I really enjoy it. I'm thinking I can probably do better now than in the year leading up to the discovery of the valve leaking. No telling how that was affecting me! I don't imagine I will try another marathon because the distance just seems a little over the top, but the half is a great distance for someone my age. One day at a time!

I began serious running at age 48 (to try to stay young, it didn't work, ha!) and ran three marathons and several other races including halfs, 10ks, 5ks, and three sprint tris. In June, at age 60, I learned I had a seriously leaking aortic valve. My first question for the surgeon was "did all my many miles of running cause this?". He answered it rather indirectly, but said that runners were an orthopedic surgeon's best friend, and that he would not discourage someone from doing cardiac exercise.
I checked with my cardiologist last week because I was worried about stressing my heart too much at just 8 weeks post op after bovine tissue valve installation. He did an ekg, reminded me I had no blockages, saw that my bp was normal and heart rate was at 70 bpm. I asked if I should get a heart monitor and keep the pulse at a lower level, say 130 bpm. He didn't think that was necessary and told me to listen to my body but feel free to keep up the exercise.
Bottom line, at age 60, I plan to resume running at three months post-op (now doing 5 mile walks and 30 minutes on an exercise bike). As long as my knees hold up, I will run because I really enjoy it. I'm thinking I can probably do better now than in the year leading up to the discovery of the valve leaking. No telling how that was affecting me! I don't imagine I will try another marathon because the distance just seems a little over the top, but the half is a great distance for someone my age. One day at a time!

I agree with both of your doctors' assessments. The first one said runners were orthopedic surgeon's best friends - referring possibly to bone and muscle injury and not caridac effects. The second one's - a cardiologist's opinion - is probably more related to your heart condition.
Thanks for the info. Mike. Godspeed in your recovery.

Has anybody from this forum run in marathons after valve replacement ? I have never run a marathon of any sorts before. I am 1yr post-op and lately been running 3 miles every other day and found out that I no longer go out of breath within 1/2 a mile. So, I want to take the next step and try my hand at a half marathon. Specifically looking to sign up for the Twin Cities Medtronic Global Heroes Marathon in 2013 before graduating on to competing in open-for-all marathons.
Thanks in advance for sharing any tips based on your experience.

Tom,
That is wonderful news. Congratulations. How tough was the selection process ? Were there strict elimination criteria ? I am just a beginner runner, wondering what my chances are to get into the race.
Hope to see you next year at the TC marathon, perhaps ?
Cheers.

I'm guessing since you would have to travel, you are talking about running in the Marathon as 1 of the 25 "Global Hero" and not just signing up to run like everyone else (thousands?).

If so did you check their site and guidelines? One of the criteria is you have to have run whatever distance you are applying for since your surgery, medical implant and it can not be your first at that distance. The 2013 info isnt up yet but here is a link to the 2012 info http://www.medtronic.com/2012globalheroes/guidelines.html

•Be 18 years or older.
•Have previously run similar distances with current medical device to the race to which he/she is applying (i.e. a 10 mile race or marathon). No first-time or beginning runners.
•Certify they have consulted with a physician who deems the runner medically fit to participate in the race.
•Currently be using a medical device therapy to treat heart disease, diabetes, chronic pain, spinal disorders or neurological, gastroenterology and urological disorders.

FWIW I have NO idea what is considerred a "beginning runner"
If it helps with your planning, From what I saw in the FAQ this year 2012 application had to be in by the end of April, so maybe if you can't get in for 2013 there is always 2014. It must feel great to be able to run after not being able to run before. Good Luck with everything. I think it is great you are doing so much more now

Last edited:
SO, we had a BIG meet up this weekend at the Baltimore Running Festival.....many VR's there, including my new best friend Rachel! I heard baout this new restriction since I was a Global Hero, you must have run and finished a race of the same length before being a GH. We now call that the Tom Price rule! :) I actually DNF'd (did not finish) the full marathon in 2007, 9 months post op, and it was my first post op marathon. BUT, the real reason was it was 88 degrees! Just too hot to finish and be ok; I got thru 13 miles.

I have applied to Global Heroes every year and always state that I have never, nor would I ever want to run a full marathon. I apply to do the 10 miler, of which I've done many. I have not been accepted yet. I'll keep trying.

SO, we had a BIG meet up this weekend at the Baltimore Running Festival.....many VR's there, including my new best friend Rachel! I heard baout this new restriction since I was a Global Hero, you must have run and finished a race of the same length before being a GH. We now call that the Tom Price rule! :) I actually DNF'd (did not finish) the full marathon in 2007, 9 months post op, and it was my first post op marathon. BUT, the real reason was it was 88 degrees! Just too hot to finish and be ok; I got thru 13 miles.

Baltimore was a BLAST!!! Giving a shout out to my new best friend and mentor, Tom! Thanks Tom, it was great running on your team!!! According to the "new" Tom Price rule, looks like I've got to sign up for a 25K before I apply to the GH.

I'm like SumoRunner - I don't want to run the full marathon, but I can do the 10 miler!

Oh, BTW - Jack, it was so good meeting you too in Baltimore!!!! Valvers are super great people!!!!

Rachel

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back