Had double valve replacement surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura R

Hi everybody.
Last time I wrote, I was having pretty bad atrial fibrillation. Here's what happened since: I went to the emergency room, where they stabilized me and asked if I would like to go home and later schedule valve replacement surgery, or take a spot that had just opened up. I took the spot that had just opened up.
On Sept 24th, I had mitral and aortic mechanical (St. Jude's) valve replacements. It's been a slow recuperation and I still feel weak. I wasn't even going to write yet, except that I came to the site to see if there was any information on rashes. I got a big red welt on my left upper leg 4 days ago. It was itchy and more inflamed than it is now. I sent the picture to my usual cardiologist (not the surgeon), who told me to keep an eye on it. Then I read about possible reactions to the sternum wires and am wondering if this is related to that red welt. I'd be happier if I had some idea what it is. Does anybody know about or have any experience with something like this?
I also wonder when I'll be able to feel a bit more relaxed about my recuperation.
I'm hoping to be able to fly to the east coast on Nov. 23 for Thanksgiving, don't know if that's unrealistic. I have my next doctor appointment on Nov. 17
Laura

Hi Laura .... I can't help with the rash but you will get more comfortable with your recuperation day by day ... it takes time .... you will get there .... don't rush things .... try and relax and take care of yourself:)

When in doubt, check it out is often said here. Make an appointment with your primary care physician, it could be a medication reaction or infection. November 17 is too far out, you'll worry about it until then and you don't need that.

Welcome to the other side of the mountain, rest often, and I hope you have a smooth recovery aside from this little bump in the road.

wishing you a speedy recovery and that you can fly for Thanksgiving feast. If you do fly, get up and walk around a bit to keep circulation flowing well in your leg(s).

you should notice feeling better with passing days. It does happen and one day you will say ' oh, yes, I do feel better and am not as weak as I was a couple days ago'...

blessins.............

The first 2 weeks can be pretty exhausting.

At 6 weeks, the sternum should be healed to 80% of it's strength and take less of your energy, giving you a 'boost' in energy.

It will take longer for your Stamina to return.
Many report continuing to feel 'better and / or stronger' up to a year post-op.

NAPS and Rest Breaks help greatly in your recovery.

It's OK to push (a little) when you feel energetic.
Listen to your Body. When it tells you to Rest, DO SO.

If all goes well, you should be able to travel for Thanksgiving, just don't 'overdo it'. Rest as needed.
(and don't be afraid to ask for a Wheel Chair or assistance at Airports!)

'AL Capshaw'

your still a young pup post op,agree with what everbody has said, rest walk sleep,then do it all over again lol, take care,neil

I agree with those who suggest you have your Primary Care doc look at the welt. I might be tempted to try a dose or two of benedryl to see if it changes the welt indicating it might be an allergic reaction to something.

Best, of course, is consult your doctors.

Hope you are able to make the flight east. I think if you use a wheel chair through the airport, it could be possible.

Good luck and please let us know how you are doing.

Wow - talk about not having time to prepare for surgery. ;):D

Glad things went relatively well - it will take some time yet before you feel really good - you gave your system quite a shock. You should feel a little better each day with one or two backsteps in the process.

The welt could be so many things but I would have someone look at it. Post-op infection comes to mind and those can be bad depending on the bacteria.

As far as traveling on the 23rd - please just wait and see. Making plans now might be more exhausting than you need. I think you might be pushing it.

Best wishes on your recovery. I had double heart valve replacement back in February (Ross procedure). Al, as usual, is correct as far as timing...I felt noticeably better at 5-6 weeks. Just hang in there...you will get your stamina back. Just take it easy now and don't overdo it...it's easy to do.

As far as the welt, I can't help. Sorry. When in doubt, call your PCP (or even your cardiologist).

Take care and best wishes!

Latest posts

Back