Groin incision for tube?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you having a min invasive surgery? (Often doctors don't mention that when giving you choices of types of surgery and I often wonder why not) anyway for some surgeries, usually min invasvie or full sternum REDOS (usuall multiple) they use either the groin or neck/collar bone area for the heart lung machine. They need to use it for min invasive because the incision is too small to fit the tubing for the bypass machine and do the work they need to. and the reason they might need it for REDOs is sometimes it is safer to put the person on bypass before they open their sternum. We knew going into Justin's 4th and 5th OHS it was a possibility they would either use his neck or groin area for the bypass and at preop they did an ultrasound of the right and left side of both areas looking for access, Justin said IF they had a choice he rather have his groin used then a 2-4 inch scar at his collorbone and thats what they did for his 5th surgery.
Justin had more pain with that incision than the sternum,(which he says isn't real pain) probably because you move it alot when you are doing your walks ect. it still wasn't horrible pain. Also he had quite a bit of his upper thigh numb for weeks/a couple months and I've heard other say the same thing who had bypass hooked up there.

For the mini-thoracotomy they connect you to the heart/lung machine via the groin, usually the left as the right was probably used for a cath. I don't think it's usually done with a sternotomy.

Incision bigger than the one on your chest? Whoa! I just had two tiny cuts, one for the vein and another for the artery. I'd ask for clarification on that big incision.

They used both of my groins for bypass for me during my 3rd surgery. They wanted everything in place before they cut open my sternum in case something happened. A also had my arterial line in my left groin. Standing and laying down were ok. I had trouble sitting for any length of time until the sutures were taken out. It didn't hurt that bad, the sutures would just pull. This past time the docs were able to put me on by- pass though the chest and put the arterial line in my medial wrist. I went to a hospital that does more redos then I did with my 3rd surgery. They did have me prepped in case they had to go through the groin. My central line was in my right neck.

Debbie

Drive,
So you are having the thoracotomy? My chest incision is probably less than 3 inches, and the two in the groin for bypass hook-up are tiny. Haven't looked at them lately but would guess smaller than a dime.

Latest posts

Back