Got my new valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well guys, I went to NY Presbyterian for what I thought was to be a meeting with my valve surgeon and maybe a cardiac catheterization the following day if scheduling allowed. I ended up going 1,2,3 and you all know what 3 was. Probably for the better based on what I have read of others anxiety leading up to their surgery dates. They replaced my aortic valve on Wed the 13th of this month and on Sunday the 17th I was back home in my recliner. My energy levels are not even close to normal yet but overall I feel pretty good and don't have to take anything for pain. Only time it really hurts is when I cough and then I try to get my hands on the hug pillow. I hope all is well with the rest of the members out there. Sincerely Dave Williams AVR (Bovine):)

Welcome Home, Dave

Welcome Home, Dave

So glad things went well..now try to rest and walk inside house several times a day..soon you will feel like going outside..and will better everyday. Don't try to rush things. Bonnie

Dave, it's good to hear that your surgery went well and that you're home and feeling good. My surgery was almost 3 months ago and I look back and realize how far I've come.....just take it a day at a time, get up and get some exercise, have your dr. prescribe a cardiac rehab program for you, and share your thoughts and feelings with your family members. I was sent home with pain pills (didn't need them, but took them to help me sleep so that I could move from side to side) and now I only take 81 mg. of a baby aspirin. Each day will be an advancement - maybe a small one, but a move forward, nonetheless.......keep us posted and please share whatever you feel like....I could not have gotten through many of my days without the help and postings of so many people here. Best wishes to you......

Great to hear that it's all over with and your home.
Coughing stinks, but sneezing is a !@#$%. I think it's worse!

Thanks Bonnie & Vickie for your responses and words of encouragement. I think that this site is probably the single best outlet for support that exists today. To be able to communicate and share with others of a similar situation is definitely a big plus.I do have my excercise plan that was given to me by the physical therapist at NY Presbyterian . They also maintain a phone line if there any questions or problems. I do notice that my extremities seem to get a little cooler taking the blood pressure medication so I keep my wool socks on to compensate and I do get out and walk each day. Not long walks and usually in the market or mall because we live in "outer siberia" here in Northern NYS . We have had 2 ice sleet storms since I have been home. Not too conducive to taking the puppy around the block.Dave

Now you can share birthdays with Janie, Whoopi, Ron T and me next year. Cept Janie, Whoopi and me will be celebrating the birth birthday and you and Ron will be celebrating the re-birth birthday. Happy to hear it went fast and well. Congratulations. God bless

My little sister just moved to your neck of the woods from Dallas. She is a born Miamian. She is also cold. They moved to Rochester and live in Webster. Near you?

Hi Dave-

A BIG congratulations on your new valve. You sound like everything is coming along right on schedule, or maybe even a day or two ahead.

Being home again is the best part. It's all behind you now.

Hi Dave!
I went through something pretty similar recently. In September I went for a second opinion and was told about an aortic anuerysm with aortic regurg. I was sent directly to Cleveland for surgery. In some ways I think it was best that it happened that way. You have less time to really dwell on all of the anxieties. Once the surgery is over you are on the road to recovery and you feel great! You do sound like you are ahead of schedule with your recovery period. That is GREAT! I was in the hospital 7 days after my surgery. I would have been home a couple days sooner, but they were trying to get my INR to a certain level before discharging me. I hope everything continues to go well with your recovery. Keep walking and doing those breathing exercises. I also agree with Ross. Coughing does hurt, but boy those sneezes are much worse, so try to prepare yourself. Let us all know how you are doing.

Take Care!
Gail

Dave,
I'm glad to hear that you're home & on the road to recovery:) Hopefully you'll have a few good "weather" days to get out a bit.

What is this talk about sneezing??? Nobody filled me in on this. Does hugging the pillow help? If not, what does?? What caused all the black and blues on wrists and near the incision?? I am guessing the wrists was from restraints and maybe the abdominal and chest black and blues from the gadgets (retractors??) that use to hold back tissue and muscle while they work on the heart??Dave:confused:

Never hAD TO SNEEZE

Never hAD TO SNEEZE

Just lucky I guess..No bruises either..other than where I got draws a zillion times a day...but they soon left. Take it easy..You hear?:D Bonnie

Dave,

Also glad to hear you are back home and getting better. As for the sneezing issue. While sneezing is something your body can handle it is none the less a rather interesting experience. Hug the pillow and try not to hold it in.

You brought back memories when I saw you were from Glens Falls. My folks had a place up in Schroon Lake, Troutbrook road, and we use to go shopping for things in Glen Falls. I do agree that the winters can be a real challenge, but the rest of the year is somewhat worth it.

I trust you have someone shoveling snow for you this year. That is an event that you do not need to be involved with this year.

The issue of exercise is really important. Try and do a little more each day, even if it is just walking around the house.

Well keep getting better and watch out for the pepper.

Walter

Early on, when I was still a newbie, Janie coined the phrase "the evil sneeze". You really don't want to do it if you can help it. You figure you will die within moments; it's just too painful not to. And there is no help for it except to yell and hang on tight to that pillow but it's pretty automatic that you will squeeze the pillow if you sneeze - you gotta squeeze something! Better the pillow or you might hurt something else.

For the first few weeks after my surgery I had a sig file with all my emails that simply stated "Ah-choo! OW! Ah-choo OW!" It is not a pleasant experience. But you get over it. You don't need to sit around in anticipation of that "evil sneeze," but definately keep a pillow handy.

Congrats on your successful surgery. And yes those sneezes are the pits. With my sinus problems, I was ready for the coughs and they were too bad. Then about 4 days after I was home...9 days total since surgery...I sneezed right out of the blue...wow, that cleared out the cobwebs. The only good thing is that it doesn't last. You are just sort of left wondering what the heck hit you! Good luck and walk , walk, walk.

Heart surgery, such a terrific learning experience!!

Never sneezed in the first few weeks, THANK THE HEAVENS, a few recently and at 10 weeks post op-I think I would have just died had it happened earlier.

Bruises seem to be normal from clamps and tools in the chest/abdomen area. Gravity works on these to cause them to settle lower and lower as time goes by. Does the same to other stuff( fat, skin, etc)

Good luck and keep up the exercise as others have recommended. It speeds the process.

bill

Dave,
Best wishes for your recovery. As for sneezing, I tried the pillow technique but there was too much "give". I found that by spreading the fingertips of one hand across both sides of the "zipper" and pushing lightly towards the chest, I could minimize chest wall movement. Worked great with a cough or a sneeze. ( or maniacal laughter when you see all the hospital bills) Take care!

If you take your index finger and press it tighyly just under your nose when you feel a sneeze coming on, you can sometimes stop them in their tracks. Accupressure point I guess.

"Ah-choo! OW! Ah-choo OW!"
That's exactly what I sat in the bed doing and the nurses just about laughed themselves to death. Sneezing tis an experience all in itself. Mine always hit before I got the pillow to the chest. I think that's why we considered them "Evil Sneezes." ;)

Latest posts

Back