Got a new dog

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Marsha. I'll be sure and mention it to the vet on Friday if she is not better. I can't believe as bad as she was neglected that she is so loving. I'm trying to teach her to lease, that's fun! ! It's more like me dragging her around. She finally did go to the bathroom outside.

Hi Glenda....
Just read your post. I'm so glad for you. Cuddles sent her, IMHO!!! You're doing the right thing and she's going to be a wonderful companion for you and your hubby. Congrats.
Evelyn

I just got home from work a few minutes ago and went to check on Sugar. I had left her in my computer/music room. She had literally tore the blinds off the east window. I couldn't believe it. Eddie had come home from lunch at noon and believe it or not he put her on the lease and walked her for about 10 minutes. She never did go to the bathroom. The minute he brought her back inside, she pottied. He's about ready to shoot her! ! I had left some potty training sheets down in my room and she missed them completely. What's a "mother" to do? After all the money I've spent on her he now wants me to find a home for her. I'm so torn! !

First off, Glenda
threadworthlesswithoutpics.gif
!

As for the misbehavior, it comes with the territory. Time will cure the problem, but patience is a must along with consistency.

Glenda,

That is just TERRIFIC!!! Soooooo glad you found each other! Sugar sounds like a perfect name for her. Our pug Sandy was a kennel dog. Her first litter died due to her milk being toxic, so we were told from the breeder. They no longer could use her for breeding of course, so that's how we adopted Sandy. She is a great dog, but I also had to train her to walk on a leash. That didn't take too long, but I have never been able to COMPLETLEY house train her. We don't have accidents very often though.

Sounds like Sugar will be great company for you.

Glenda:

Was this the first day she had been home alone all day?
My guess is she may be having separation anxiety. Do you have a large kennel -- dog crate -- where you can keep her for short periods of time? If not, keep her in a bathroom, something with tiled walls, tiled floor - and NO BLINDS. Sounds like she's very lonely.

Yes it was the first day being by herself. I don't have a crate but may have to invest in one. I just hate to crate her because she was probably kept in a kennel all the time before. I work all day so she has to get used to being by herself. My husband comes home most of the times at noon. She is getting better about leasing. Time will tell how this precious little dog will turn out. Since she is around seven I wonder if she is too old to teach anything.

Glenda, I think Sugar is the lucky one here! She has you. I've always said that if there was anything real about reincarnation, I want to come back as a dog owned by people like me. We never "bought" dogs -- we "adopted" them. They became members of our families and were treated as well (or maybe even a bit better) than people (two-leggers) were.

As a side note, IIRC the Maltese are close relatives of the Shih Tzu. These pups may take a long time to house-train. Our Shih Tzu took nearly a year, and the vet said that was not uncommon. Must be a lot like two-legger children. . .

Anyway, best of luck to both of you. Enjoy!

Hi Glenda
I feel for you.
Were I in your position I would buy an exercise pen, place it in a well-travelled room in the house, probably the kitchen where I spend a lot of time. I'd line the floor with newspapers leaving a small area for a pillow something soft for her to sleep on. Then I'd attach a water bottle to the bars and leave a soft toy. If there's a patio door I'd think about putting the pen there especially if there's squirrels and birds to watch.
Max, my Brussels Griffon was a year old last December and he still can't be trusted in the house for long periods of time. He's really bad but improving. He stays clean in his crate over night but can't seem to go 8 hours in the daytime without relieving himself. There is something about these toy dogs unlike the larger breeds that seem to have been born house-trained. Max is loose in the kitchen during the day and uses puppy pads most of the time. Otherwise my rabbit's foot fern gets a shower.
The ex-pen should help--just make sure it's high enough she can't climb out. Other than that it will take time.

Mo lived in a cage for three and a half years. She didn't know to come when called (she was always already there, in the cage). She had no idea how to walk on a leash, or what she was supposed to do when she was out on it . She wasn't house trained. She was petrified of the car. She didn't even undertand how to use stairs.

She now comes when called, even if she's hot on the trail of a dangerous squirrel. She's up and down the stairs, walks on a leash, and is even beginning to enjoy riding in the car. And she's mostly house trained. She misses once in a while.

Yes, they will damage some things at first. They have no idea what's valuable and what's not. They've never been allowed around anything that anyone cared about.

It's a tough position to be in, if you're not both ready to live with some impositions until she settles. I'm sure you are, but you need to see if Eddie can be persuaded to go along with it. It will take her some time to learn, because she probably just doesn't know.

Very best wishes,

Your sweet little dog will come around in time. I always think of my animals like 3 year old children, or 2 year old children. It will take some time.

I have the image of her thinking, "I am so scared, my whole world has turned upside down. What happened to me? Where am I ? What happened to the place I used to live that I knew so well? Where are all the other dogs I used to hear and communicate with? Where are the puppies? Who are these new people? And what is this huge space I am in now? I don't know anything about it. It doesn't smell anything like the old place. People are trying to get me to do something, but I have no idea what they want. I want to try to make them happy, but I don't know how to do that. I hope they won't get mad at me because I'm so confused and too many new things have happened to me. I have to go potty, and I used to go this way, but now people are getting mad at me for it. Are they getting mad because I have to go potty?"

Thanks for all your suggestions. Poor little thing. I know she must be confused. Nancy I couldn't have said it better! I have to understand that. She is the sweetest, most loving little dog. She loves to sit in my lap and cuddle. She is leasing really well now and most of the time she will pee outside. I was worried because she hadn't had a BM since her surgery on Monday. I had to take her back to the vet today and they said she was doing great. He did check to see if she was impacted but she was fine. After I got her back home she finally had a movement and I do mean a movement, a large one, right in front of the front door. I thought all that couldn't possibly of come out of such a little dog. She must have had it stored up for a week! LOL Now if I can just teach her to poop outside! ! She rides in the car wonderfully. She is so well behaved. She never barks and she takes her medicine really well. I just mix it with her food. My big dog Kuno, the boxer loves her. He follows her around and lays right beside her all the time. When we go for out walk outside, he is right beside her. It's so sweet. It's like he knows she has had a hard life. I think we are going to make it together. My husband is even warming up to her.

Glenda,

I am sooooo happy to hear Sugar is adjusting so well to her environment. I think most animals know when they are truly loved!

Sounds like she is making some progress. Isn't it great that she has your big dog for a companion. He'll help her out in his doggy way.

Whenever Joe and I got an animal from the shelter, it took at least a month for them to be comfortable and to be able to trust us a little.

So time is your friend.

Glenda:

Do some online searching for books on canine behavior. I just found this book at amazon.com; the subtitle "Helping Dogs Conquer Their Fear," is intriguing.

http://www.amazon.com/Cautious-Canine-Patricia-McConnell-Ph-D/dp/1891767003/ref=pd_sim_b_5

You might do some research about the author.

Another idea: Find a dog rescue group and ask for some suggestions. Petsmart stores often have rescue groups in stores on weekends, and you might find a real diamond in one of those people. Or a breed rescue program.

How did we know that was going to happen. See what God did! He knows your loving heart. My daughter got her beloved ShihTzu from a place here where she had to be approved in order to get him. He had been a breeding dog and never was out of his cage. He was not smart because nobody had EVER taken time to love him, but she did. And how he loved her back. Sugar will be the same with you. Bless you, Glenda.

she will learn. Miss Sally is over 12 and she learned about the leash very quickly once we got to the CITY! She doesn't take to it, but can bear it. Hang in, teaching isn't easy.

Glenda, my daughter puts her dog in the laundry room - where the food/water are. She loves her cage; the door is never closed and she sleeps in and out of it all day while daughter is at work. She will not mess up in that room because they don't 'go' where their food is. She is quite contented all day. When Linda leaves for work, she says 'go to your room now' and the dog goes right in there into her cage and lies down. The moment Linda gets home she takes Ozma outside and then she's free to be in the house the rest of the time.

The use of an exercise pen is a great idea. A small kennel, food and water in the exercise pen. The perfect set-up in the laundry room. Leave the door of the kennel open, food and water near by maybe even a couple chewable toys.

Yep, and exercise pen about 3 feet high with about 8 panels should do the trick, that way you can determine/adjust the size you want.

Latest posts

Back