Going under Anesthesia...what's it like?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrichardson

When I had my first surgery at 22 months old to correct pulmonic stenosis, I obviously don't remember going under anesthetic.

Now I'm almost 40, and I've never had a surgery where I've had to go under full general anesthetic. So what's it like? My mother told me it almost feels like you're going to sleep, but I'm guessing it's different from that.

A friend of mine who is a retired cardiologist told me that she always held a patient's hand when they were given anaesthesia as that made the whole experience good, and my anaesthetist told me the night before AVR that even if it might not be PC he always held a patient's hand too when he gave the anaesthesia for the same reason. But I don't remember how it was at all ! I don't even remember seeing the nice anaesthetist when I went into the operating theatre or whereever it was that I was given the anaesthetic ! There I was looking forward to a good experience and I never remembered it ! I remember having a full anaesthetic on a previous occasion and it was lovely - a fantastic feeling of being so fully relaxed :) But far too quick !

Duffey;n863997 said:
Your mother's right. It feels like you are falling asleep but it happens much quicker.
Yep, in my case, one minute I was trying to look around the ER, I was being introduce to some nurses, saw the oxygen mask coming towards my face then it was lights out before the mask touched my face.

They made me very comfortable for it. Saw the surgeon and head anesthesiologist in advance and talked with them. Super great guys (surgeon had a reputation as one of the best around, which he is). Joked that he had been out late the night before and was hung over!!! :) I joked that I had better not have any "Junior Mints" fall into my chest cavity like what happened on Seinfeld :) (if you have seen the episode). They wheeled me in on the bed into the OR, transferred/shifted over to the operating table which was nice and warm and comfortable. They began to hook things up and talk to me and make me relaxed - superb OR team. They told me what they were doing the whole time, hooked up the IV in my hand (or arm? can't remember) and told me what to expect. They said I would feel a cool rush throughout my body as the general anesthetic began coming (VERY weird sensation but not painful or anything in the least). And then it happened very quick, before the surgeon came in - I was out. Next thing I knew I woke up in the recovery and all was done. Amazing team I had...

I've had general anaesthesia twice. First time the Anaesthesiologist told me to count backwards from 10 to 0. I remember saying 10. Then I woke up, and the business was done. Last time, was for my valve replacement. I was lying on the table, feeling more than a little nervous, and a little vulnerable. I saw the Anaesthesiologist and said, 'you know, I don't mind if you give me a little something to calm me, maybe some diazepam?' He replied 'I've got something here I think you'll like', and moments later I felt calm and happy. Then I woke up, it was 5 hours later, and the surgery was done!
Don't sweat it.

Reactions: Amy
OHS was the only time I ever had general anesthesia and I don't really remember it. When they were prepping me for surgery in a little cubicle they gave me diazepam, quite a bit I would say! I was very happy and content when I got to the OR! I remember looking around the OR, commenting on the equipment and joking around with the anesthesiologists. Then I remember a woman, probably a nurse, coming and asking why I was still awake. Next thing I remember is waking up in ICU.

First time the Anaesthesiologist told me to count backwards from 10 to 0. I remember saying 10. Then I woke up, and the business was done.
That's exactly what it's been like for me. You might get a little past 10 but not much. It's so quick and then you are waking up and it's all over with.

I was talking to the anesthesiologist and started looking around the operating room as people were getting the surgical instruments ready and the last thing I remember is asking about them. Some choose a sedative before they're wheeled in to avoid seeing all the sharp stuff. I do remember feeling pretty 'wacked' for awhile once I came to. Don't sweat it .

I remember being fascinated by the OR as they wheeled me in. I was trying my best to get a look around, to figure out the roles of the people and equipment. One fellow introduced himself to me, "I'll be your bartender". That was my last pre-op memory.

Reactions: Amy
Knocked out quick - like others have said. All this stuff happens over hours, and you wake up with no recollection.

The fun part is the wake up. Two of my most vivid memories stem from coming out of anesthesia, not because of anything remarkable, but just because of the clarity. My first OHS, my dad was bedside when I woke up and said, "Yup, he's awake." The second, there was a nurse in the room who asked how I was feeling, and I said, "Feeling pretty sexy." Might have been one of her better CICU laughs.

i recently asked an anesthesiologist, and he told me that there is no dreaming during anesthesia. Is that your experience?

Thanks everyone for the reassurances. Just trying to get as much info as I can about this stuff before I go in. And honestly, aside from the medical professionals, the last people I want to see before I "go under" are my wife and son...as well as the first people I see...

Midpack;n864058 said:
i recently asked an anesthesiologist, and he told me that there is no dreaming during anesthesia. Is that your experience?

I don't recall any dreaming or time passing for that matter. Given all my wife told me that occurred while under for 18 hours, my own first hand experience is in agreement with the anesthesiologist.

I didn't dream and I doubt anyone does while actually under anaesthetic, though maybe when they are off the anaethestic and they are coming round they do. Before surgery I asked my anaesthetist about ICU psychosis which I was a shade concerned about having read about it in the press and having read something similar from a couple of forum members. The aneasthetist explained that ICU psychosis only occurs when people have been kept unconscious in ICU for a few days, or longer even, because the medications they are given to keep them unconscious, similar to anaesthetic I suspect , stop the REM state, which is when we dream, and so with lack of dreams the person gets a 'psychosis' (beliveing the nurses are going to murderfor example). Anyone watched that episode of Star Trek, 'Night Terrors' , where the alien stopped the REM/dream sleep state of the crew of the Enterprise and they all got hallucinations, except Deanna who wasn't affect ? Thankfully we are not kept under the anaesthetic in surgery long enough to cause this so I was mighty relieved to learn that - but it's also the reason as to why we don't dream while under the anaesthtic in surgery.

Latest posts

Back