Going in on Tuesday

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luana, What does the Kool Aid mean? I've seen that a number of times.
Thanks for the "rules" Gil. Might just do some of them.
Joanne

Hi Joanne,
I'm guessing from your profile you might remember the mass suicides led by cult-guru Jim Jones in the late 70s where his followers committed suicide by drinking Kool-Aid, and for those not familiar with the term, drinking Kool-Aid has come to mean accepting a belief or argument blindly.

I think it was a couple of weeks ago when Robb had been asking about the surgery and initial recovery, and hopefully, with some of the responses, we were able to dispel or diminish some of the fears about VR, and in one post he wrote: "Its easier for all of you guys to say. You've drinking the Welcome To the other side Kool Aid."

Dear artsyfish

You made it through by now. Hang in there. My thoughts are with you. Prayers and best wishes. When you feel up to it, share your experiences.

Rubus

Best wishes Joanne. You're going to do great. Of course you're probably not going to see this until after surgery since I was so late finding this thread, so by the time you read this you'll be drinking the cool-aid!

I'm Back!

I'm Back!

Still in hospital but recovering well from valve job. Was a bit more complex than anticipated, but my surgeon actually gave a larger valve than usual, so the next replacement could be by catheter. Got bovine valve to avoid coumadine because I have another surgery coming up. Unfortunately a blood clot demanded some anti coagulation, and we all discovered I was extremely sensitive to heparin, and after recovering from that, it's being applied very slowly now. When all stabilizes I can go home - don't have a firm date yet.

I am breathing very well in spite of being a recently ex smoker, and am running around the place for exercise. Still can't wait to see my kitties

Joanne,

Welcome to the other side, guess it had been about a week since surgery and you should be released soon. Looks like your thread will need to move to post surgery now or that you may to start a new one in the post surgery section.

Joanne as an ex smoker, did you have additional difficulty with coughing and use of the spyrometer, in comparison to other patients in your cardiac ward?

Joanne, it is possible that you may be prescribed Coumadin program for a certain period to ensure no blood clotting, even though you are on a biological valve.

I received a 90 day program of Coumadin and have about 30 days remaining, at which time a daily 80Mg aspirin is recommended for life. This may sound strange but i have moe desire to get off the beta blocker (metoprolol/bisoprolol) ASAP, as that is the medicine that seems to hamper lifestyle and sap energy. Have set an objective of getting off beta blocker in next 2 weeks and am already reducing dose to ween off that med.

Joanne, you will find it really nice to get home, kitties and all else, this is when recovery will truly begin

all the best

Gil

Glad your coming along this side of the mountain. Hopefully you'll be home soon and it will make you feel soo much better . Keep using your breathing machine it helps , drink lots of fluids and make sure you get those bowels moving.

Healthy healing

Back