Getting ready for the big day

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg~

Hi everyone!
My name is Greg, I'm 52 years young and I live in Southern California. I started having episodes of shortness of breath on February 16th and went to the ER to find out what was wrong. My EKG was clear but my blood test had traces of troponin. A CT scan was performed and revealed an ascending aortic aneurism. The cardiologist performed an angiogram the next day and he discovered severe aortic valve stenosis. And if that wasn't enough, my aortic valve is bicuspid. During the entire time I did not experience any pain or other problems, just shortness of breath.
Of course, this diagnosis meant I needed to speak with a surgeon. And since the hospital I was in was pretty small, this surgery was beyond their capabilities. So my cardiologist referred me to Dr. Stahl at Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla, CA. I have to admit, I was very nervous going into the meeting with him because my cardiologist was very somber about my condition. Meeting with the surgeon was a very positive and encouraging experience. He put me at ease and explained to me in detail what he would do and how long each procedure would take. No doom, no gloom, just matter-of-fact, this is how we're going to get this done and that's that. He's going to repair my aortic artery with a graft and I've elected to replace my aortic valve with an SJ mechanical. I left his office feeling really positive and ready to take this on.
That was last Friday (2/24) and I’m waiting on my insurance to clear me for the surgery and to have this done at Scripps. I'm confident it will be approved, but I'm not good at the waiting game - I don’t think anyone is. So during all of this hurry-up-and-wait time, I've been able to do a lot of research on valves, the procedure, and the heart in general. And one very special and encouraging part of my research was finding ValveReplacement.org. I found you all yesterday and this site has really lifted my spirits. And I'm not giving into "theater of the mind" as much as before. It's really amazing what your mind wants do….
My family is very supportive and encouraging and has really made the difference so far. I can't imaging not having family around during this very trying and emotionally charged time. I know we've not met, but as I read these posts I feel as if you are all one big family looking out for one another and keep each other lifted up in prayer or positive thoughts. So I'd like to ask you all to do the same for me. Please keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers and of course, I'll do the same for you.

Hi Greg,
I am fairly new to this site also and wish I would have found it before my OHS last May. I know you'll pick up lots of good information here. I sure did, even if it was after the fact. I too had an ascending aortic aneurism and severely dilated root replaced. Measurement was 60 mm. Fortunately the surgeon could repair the valve so I did not need that replaced. Surgery was done at Mayo, recovery was not as difficult as I had imagined it to be.

Hope you find out soon when you'll have surgery. I certainly was pretty anxious waiting for the 'big day'. Turns out everyone finds that to be pretty hard. I didn't know that but I've learned a lot from the boards here.

Greg, welcome to VR. You are so right that our minds can create and play out scenarios based upon the tiniest bit of information and when one finds that heart surgery is in the offing there is ample fodder for spinning off anxieties. It doesn't help. I think you are taking the best approach which is to say searching for real information and building upon the reassurance provided by your surgeon. I was 59 at the time of my AVR and found all of my fears were overblown. I'm glad you are finding this forum helpful and if there is anything else we can do, please let us know.

Larry

A heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family glad you found the site most of the community are OHS brothers and sisters,(read no medical professionals) there are some minimally invasive surgeries as well so ask away, there is a wealth of knowledge here for the future .....i THINKI can remember your name

Bob/tobagotwo has up dated a list of acronyms and short forms http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8494&d=1276042314

what to ask pre surgery http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...68-Pre-surgery-consultation-list-of-questions

what to take with you to the hospital http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?13283-what-to-take-to-the-hospital-a-checklist

Preparing the house for post surgical patients http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...Getting-Comfortable-Around-the-House&p=218802

These are from various forum stickies and there is plenty more to read as well

And Lynw added this PDF on what to expect post op
http://www.sts.org/documents/pdf/whattoexpect.pdf

Hi everyone!
My name is Greg, I'm 52 years young and I live in Southern California. I started having episodes of shortness of breath on February 16th and went to the ER to find out what was wrong. My EKG was clear but my blood test had traces of troponin. A CT scan was performed and revealed an ascending aortic aneurism. The cardiologist performed an angiogram the next day and he discovered severe aortic valve stenosis. And if that wasn't enough, my aortic valve is bicuspid. During the entire time I did not experience any pain or other problems, just shortness of breath.
Of course, this diagnosis meant I needed to speak with a surgeon. And since the hospital I was in was pretty small, this surgery was beyond their capabilities. So my cardiologist referred me to Dr. Stahl at Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla, CA. I have to admit, I was very nervous going into the meeting with him because my cardiologist was very somber about my condition. Meeting with the surgeon was a very positive and encouraging experience. He put me at ease and explained to me in detail what he would do and how long each procedure would take. No doom, no gloom, just matter-of-fact, this is how we're going to get this done and that's that. He's going to repair my aortic artery with a graft and I've elected to replace my aortic valve with an SJ mechanical. I left his office feeling really positive and ready to take this on.
That was last Friday (2/24) and I’m waiting on my insurance to clear me for the surgery and to have this done at Scripps. I'm confident it will be approved, but I'm not good at the waiting game - I don’t think anyone is. So during all of this hurry-up-and-wait time, I've been able to do a lot of research on valves, the procedure, and the heart in general. And one very special and encouraging part of my research was finding ValveReplacement.org. I found you all yesterday and this site has really lifted my spirits. And I'm not giving into "theater of the mind" as much as before. It's really amazing what your mind wants do….
My family is very supportive and encouraging and has really made the difference so far. I can't imaging not having family around during this very trying and emotionally charged time. I know we've not met, but as I read these posts I feel as if you are all one big family looking out for one another and keep each other lifted up in prayer or positive thoughts. So I'd like to ask you all to do the same for me. Please keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers and of course, I'll do the same for you.

Good luck Greg! You will be in my thoughts and prayers. My surgery is scheduled for April 4th. Everything is going to be ok! I look forward to sharing recovery stories with you on the other side.

Tom

Thank you all for the encouragement and prayers. My surgeon's office just called and my surgery date is this coming Tuesday. I'm really glad to be finally getting this on the calendar and I'm looking forward to feeling better.

Hey Greg!
Welcome to the boards!
Glad you finially have a date :D hope everything goes well,
keep us updated :)
Love Sarah xxx

Hi Greg, and welcome to the VR family. You will find lots of information and encouragement here. I know I sure did before my surgery. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks everyone!! I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

Yes, March 6th is the date.

Thank you all for the encouragement and prayers. My surgeon's office just called and my surgery date is this coming Tuesday. I'm really glad to be finally getting this on the calendar and I'm looking forward to feeling better.

It is on the family calendar now....is there anyone you can ask to update the family on your progress?

Glad to hear you are having a quick surgery. AAAs are nothing to mess with.
As one of those who got a quick surgery (after much delayed diagnosis) I understand the whirlwind you are in right now. I am so glad you found us before your surgery. I know it would have helped me and my husband get through a very difficult time if we'd had other people to talk to who knew more about it.

We'll keep you in our thoughts next week, and look forward to your daughter's posts.

Hey Greg. Welcome. You'll find a big supportive group of friends here. My valve was also bicuspid. I think that's a common thread among us Valve Replacees. (is that a word) You've heard it before and you'll hear it again - waiting is the worst part. Surgery for me was actually pretty easy.

From what I understand, Scripps is a great facility.

Got questions? Ask!

Dave

Welcome to the club, Greg~! It sounds like you will have a nice short stay in the waiting room, but we are here if you have any questions. Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question to those of us who have been there and done that.

Good luck Greg, it will be over before you know it and you'll be recovering in no time, your age will be a big positive in the recovery process. You were lucky that it was discovered in the manner that it was and you had some time to educate yourself about it. I am coming up on my 2-year anniversary of my aortic valve and root replacement and, having dwelled on it for the years prior when I was in the "waiting room", the time has flown by and with the exception of the scar I feel like it never happened. Best wishes for the big day.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your support.

I spoke with my surgeon again yesterday regarding valve selection. Scripps uses three mechanical valves - St Jude, Carbomedics, and On-X. He likes the Carbomedics Top Hat but he said they are all very similar. Does anyone have any experience with the Top Hat?

We'll be thinking about you Tuesday.
It'll go fine. This is a hugely successful surgery and while for us it's monumental, for the surgeons and their teams, it's 'another day at the office' and that is how we want it.

Best wishes and please let us know you're fine as soon as you are able.

Latest posts

Back