getting off of coreg and spironolactone asap

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpha 1

has anyones cardio had them get off of these meds without tapering off? i always thought coreg had to be weaned off of. adams cardio told him to quit taking the coreg and spironolactone cold turkey, he didnt think he needed it anymore, it has been 2 days and the blood pressure is still the same, this wouldnt be a big deal to his heart, would it? if some one else has come right off of it, please let me know. thanks.
janice
alpha 1

Spironlactone won't be an issue, but Coreg may be!

5.1 Cessation of Therapy
Patients with coronary artery disease, who are being treated with COREG, should be advised against abrupt discontinuation of therapy. Severe exacerbation of angina and the occurrence of myocardial infarction and ventricular arrhythmias have been reported in angina patients following the abrupt discontinuation of therapy with β-blockers. The last 2 complications may occur with or without preceding exacerbation of the angina pectoris. As with other β-blockers, when discontinuation of COREG is planned, the patients should be carefully observed and advised to limit physical activity to a minimum. COREG should be discontinued over 1 to 2 weeks whenever possible. If the angina worsens or acute coronary insufficiency develops, it is recommended that COREG be promptly reinstituted, at least temporarily. Because coronary artery disease is common and may be unrecognized, it may be prudent not to discontinue therapy with COREG abruptly even in patients treated only for hypertension or heart failure.

I stopped coreg at once though my cardio built up my dose slowly. The day I stopped coreg, he started me on toprol xl. I had no problems from doing it this way.

Apparently, some Doctors do just drop it, but as you can see from the CYA in the prescribing info, it's not recommended. It may well be more of a CYA thing.

Janice,

In my humble opinion, it could depend on the dosage he was taking. In my case, I was taking 6 1/4mg of coreg twice and I had to stop it completely since my BP was way too low.

It took me about two weeks to get over the light-headedness and dizziness, but a few days for BP to go a little bit higher.

Keep us posted.

adam was on 12.5 mg of coreg and was taking one and a half pills twice a day, i have kept an eye on his blood pressure and it has been ok until tonight and it was like 120 something over 86 and his heart rate at rest was 92. so i had him take a half of a pill to see if it would go down, i hope this was ok. thanks everyone.
janice
alpha 1

i am just nervous and i told the cardio that i heard that you had to be weaned off of them twice and he said no not in his case, but i read what ross wrote and it makes a lot of sense, to me and here is your heart on this for almost a year and it seems like a shock to the system to me to just suddenly stop. i hope this 1/2 of pill will help a little, i have to go to work now and i am scared. so i will have to keep checking on him. thanks guys.
janice

Janice,

One time reading of high BP should not worry you, as BP fluctuates from one minute to another. Try to take it again after a while, if it is still high, then taking half or quarter of the dosage is OK and tell cardio...if second and third reading is not high, I would not take any medicine. My body was not affected by stopping it completely.

thanks guys, do you think that that 92 heart rate was ok? i took the bp today after the 1/2 pill and it is 120/73 heart rate was around 80. maybe then it will be ok. i was just worried as usual, probibly pretty soon i will just have a breakdown. ha ha hopefully that is just a joke. thanks again.
janice

Don't break down, laugh hysterically! Heart rate seems a little high, but BP is excellent. I really wouldn't worry about it. ;)

thanks guys, do you think that that 92 heart rate was ok? i took the bp today after the 1/2 pill and it is 120/73 heart rate was around 80. maybe then it will be ok. i was just worried as usual, probibly pretty soon i will just have a breakdown. ha ha hopefully that is just a joke. thanks again.
janice

BP is perfect and HR is normal...my HR is still between 85-100 and my cardio does not mind it...the surgery is over, but it will take time for the heart to recondition itself and get used to the new valve and the new healthy pumping.:)

Latest posts

Back