GERD and valve patients - Poll

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GERD and valve patients - Poll

• I had GERD/heartburn before my valve problems/surgery

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I have GERD/heartburn and it started after my valve problems/surgery

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • My GERD/heartburn got worse after my valve problems/surgery

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I have GERD/heartburn and I take coumadin

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • My GERD/heartburn began after I started coumadin

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I take coumadin but do not have GERD/heartburn

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • I do not have GERD/heartburn

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • What the heck is GERD?

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
Francie touched on what I am thinking here :D

Myself and the 2 boys were ALL REFLUX babies :p .

anyone-else happen to know if they were a "chucky-baby" ?...

I had always thought there to be a connection between Matts infantile-reflux and his continuing love of Mylanta he is almost 15 and whinges bitterly if I ever ever run out of this stuff even for 1 day :eek: ( Mylanta is an acid-reflux-heartburn treatment in Australia) .

Now both these kids were also only a 6 pounders when born and were tiny for along-time and Mum says I was a skinny baby too...

I just started to think like the Doctors do...lol...the first thing they ask you is how was the pregnancy with this kid then they go thru everything til now!?...I also remember having shocking reflux while pregnant with all 3 actually and even worse morning-sickness.

sorry if I strayed off-topic a little...I get carried away sometimes :eek: ...but this is a very interesting topic ...I think you may find 2 different types of GERD sufferers...chronic and those from OHS. I am a chronic sufferer, as are the 2 kids.

For those who still may not know,
GERD = GastroEsophageal Reflux Disease.

I've often suspected that this is another result from my "just in case" radiation treatment to my chest for Hodgkins Disease due to a swollen node in my NECK.

For Marty (and anyone else interested), my Gastroenterologist recently told me that PEPCID is best for some function (OK, I forgot what it is) that occurs at night, presumably while we sleep and he advises taking Pepcid before going to bed. He also would like me to take Nexium but my co-pay is almost 4 times as much as the cost of Prilosec which I do take (in the morning - or one hour before eating if I forgot my morning dose).

'AL Capshaw'

I suspect that there is a link to gastric/intestinal problems that comes from the prophylactic antibiotics we often take for dental and other intrusive work. I have had several bouts of severe intestinal pain that went on for weeks, all of which tie back to dates when I took antibiotics.

They destroy many of the beneficial bacteria in your intestines that are necessary to good digestion. And yogurt frequently doesn't cover it (most yogurts only have one or two bacilli in them). Probiotic capsules often do have high amounts and many different strains of bacteria, but it is hard for them to re-establish in high acidity, and it takes time.

I also recently discovered to my horror that my main symptoms appear to be linked to lactose intolerance. I have been a dairy fiend all my life, and that thought was deeply disturbing. However, it makes some sense when you consider what can cause it, and how these things might be linked.

As you grow older, your body produces less lactase, a chemical that causes milk sugars to be broken down in the stomach. Fortunately, lactase is also normally produced by various bacteria, including lactobacillus acidophilus. When lactase isn't there in sufficient quantity, the sugars instead ferment in the intestines, causing gas, pain, and intestinal irritation (which triggers hyperacidity). Fortunately, lactase is a harmless supplement which can be taken when eating dairy products to eliminate that problem.

So, for me, the cycle seems to be: take antibiotics, develop lactose intolerance (which inflames the intestines), then develop hyperaciditiy and heartburn.

My response is 14 days of Prilosec (or similar systemic, 24-hour acid-reducer), lactase (LactAid is one brand) whenever eating milk or cheese, and probiotic capsules to help build back the bacteria. I keep taking the lactase and probiotics until I am sure milk is digesting normally once more.

Logically, it makes a pretty good circle.

- The acid reducer helps calm the intestines. This also helps the beneficial bacteria colonies regrow, which are are killed off by high acidity.

- The lactase stops the fermentation and the resulting irritation to the intestines, reducing the triggering of hyperacidity

- The probiotic capsules and yogurt reintroduce the beneficial bacteria which produce lactase, which can now regrow better in the less acidic environment.

Theoretically, the irritation/hyperacidity cycle should be broken, and the lactose intolerance should diminish as these bacteria flourish. It has been successful for me so far.

Best wishes,

I found out about my valve problem BECAUSE of acid reflux. My heart had started skipping beats. I went to my family doctor, and although he also heard my murmmer, he suspected the skipped beats were due to acid reflux. He recommended an echo to be on the safe side and it revealed my BAV. One zantac a day keeps the skipped beats in check. I suspect a slight H. hernia is the culprit because my uncle has this as well, but to a more severe extent.

I have noted a few observations (with our small group). One, coumadin usage does not seem to cause GERD. Two, there seems to be some type of correlation between valve problems and GERD.

I also wonder if the people who answered they had GERD before their valve problems are actually BAV patients. If so, then one could still correlate GERD with valve problems even if it occurred before the BAV was diagnosed.

I probably should have another option - "I had GERD before my BAV valve problems".

Anyway this is not too scientific but there does seem to be some connection.

I think that Bob

I think that Bob

has a very valid point - one I have looked into myself. Many years of antibiotics have probably wreaked havoc on our bodies.

Also, hiatal hernias are notorious for causing heart arrhythmias - the hernia is pushing up into the area of the heart, irritating the nervous system surrounding it.

There are many, many people who have GERD who do not have heart problems but there definitely is some sort of a relationship between our valve problems and GERD.

Thanks for doing the poll - Gina - it answers some of my questions - however, I would like to know the "why's" from a cardiologist and I will keep asking.

Christina L

Gerd

Gerd

I was different. I had a stroke and couldn't eat for 2 months. Therefore, no GERD. Was also on Previcid through the tube for an ulcer they found when they put the tube in. The ulcer went away and when I started eating, my stomach was fine. I had some bad chicken salad 2 weeks ago and have had problems with burping and stomach pain ever since. I really don't believe there to be a corelation between BAVD and GERD/stomach problems but hey, stranger things have been found to be true.

Bob suffered from terrible GERD for several years. One year before his AVR he went to a surgeon to get a hernia repaired and when he mentioned his GERD the surgeon asked if he had ever had his gall bladder looked at--when he said no he scheduled a sonagram of his gall bladder and found stones. He had his gall bladder removed at the same time the had the hernia repaired and he's had only a few small incidences of GERD since that time.

I now have more GERD than he does--I have mild IBS and the antibiotic treatments I have to take eveytime I go to the dentist (due to 2 Knee replacements) really inflame my digestive system for over a week. The problem is probably due to the fact that the antibiotics kill of the bad germs as well as the good ones needed for digestion and it takes a week or so to get my system back to normal.

Don't know if you can correlate the GERD with Bob's valve problems though.

Joan

mmmm...

I reckon that this GERD is very-common amongst BAV'ers and its probably to do with the connective-tissue fault we have.

Does anyone else know if they had this as a kid or not? we all did from birth.

Regarding the theory that I refer to in my post earlier in this thread. Forget it. Looked good for a while, but it didn't pan out. :eek:

Leave it to reality to ruin a perfectly good theory... :rolleyes:

Best wishes,

Although I realize this is not scientific, it appears that there is a definite connection between valve issues and GERD. Since we have so many members with BAV, I can't help but believe that some of those who answered that they had GERD before their valve problems (which I think means before they found out about their valve problems) have BAV. In that case, the number of people who have GERD "connected" to valve issues increases.

It would be interesting to find out some actual scientific reasons for this happening. I would think it may be more related to valve problems rather than surgery. Maybe the GERD is connected to certain medications needed to control medical conditions but that wouldn't explain BAV patients who had GERD before they found out about their condiitions. Therefore there is a distinct possibility that valve problems may actually cause GERD.

Perhaps there IS a relationship between connective tissue disease, valve problems, and GERD (along with other disorders).

Anyone want to petition the government for research money to finance a study?

In any case, this has been an interesting exercise and I thank all of you for participating.

I still believe the (relatively) frequent use of antibiotics is a major causative factor. I just don't have the pathway to the truth on how to go about fixing it. Yogurt doesn't really do the trick because it usually only contains one or two bacterial strains. Probiotics are good and have many more strains, but may not have the "right" bacteria to get you back on track.

The possibility of a relationship to hiatal hernia secondary to surgery is also sensible and is likely the case for some, although a fair number of respondents had the GERD before surgery. BAV might be a factor in this by allowing the hernia more easily.

I suspect that when large numbers of "good" gacteria are killed off by antibiotic use, other, undesirable bacteria that are more hardy may take root and be difficult for the good bugs to supplant later.

I have read of people eating dirt to get their microorganisms back, but I don't recommend it, as other things live there, too.

Best wishes,

My GERD started after 2 years from the surgery. A GE doc said coumadin may be the reason of GERD creating a disturbance in eusophagus

Well, I have had a aortic valve problems since birth, got it replaced at age 38 and no gerd and its been 12 years since surgery. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Never say it won't ever happen, I hope it don't just like I can still get lung cancer, was a smoker from 13 to 38. Been somber since.

I have GERD due to a hiatul hernia. It was diagnosed well before my surgery. My dad had the same condition, but my mom had the bicuspid aortic valve like me. However she has never had a problem with GERD and she, unlike me, is on Warfarin. Since I'm not on Warfarin, there is no connection. I just think it's interesting how I managed to get the GERD from my dad and the bicuspid aortic valve and migraines from my mom. Thanks folks!

Latest posts

Back