Generic Lovenox for ME!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maryka

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
:eek2: I picked up my (generic) version of lovenox two days ago. I must take it with me when I drive down to North Carolina (in preparation for my hip replacement) tomorrow. I personally pointed out to the pharmacist that the generic version was on the market and that others in the US were using it. He had to order it, but it only took a day to arrive. I just hope it works out well (which my one experience with Lovenox did not). COST? I do not know because, thanks partially to the high cost (almost 1K) I had to pay for my Lovenox in March, I have met the high deductibles of my medical insurance for this calendar year. Because I pointed out the generic version, the pharmacy gave it to me at NO CHARGE. Now, if I do not have too much bleeding in the post surgical stage! (Hmmm...maybe I can get a nurse to give it to me...I might be in the hospital then...I never took my own drugs to the hospital before...)
:confused2::confused2::confused2:

Maryka -

You may want to have a discussion with your Hip Replacement Surgeon about when to resume the generic Lovenox After your Surgery. You may want to have your Surgeon discuss this will your Cardiologist. It is important to balance the Risk of Bleeding vs. the Risk of Stroke.

I know some surgeons do NOT use Lovenox Post-Surgery, just begin Coumadin the evening of the Surgery, knowing that it will take 3 or 4 days to become fully effective.

Others wait 24 or 48 hours after a surgery to allow time for the stitching areas to begin to heal before resuming Lovenox.

'AL Capshaw'

I had my pre-operative appointments on Tuesday. Duke is a pretty cool place! The nurse spent a long time discussing everything with me. She says they will be giving me my post-operative meds to bring my anti-coagulation up to the optimum level. However, they definitely plan to discharge me on day three (the surgery day being day one) and tentatively think I will go "home" (to my friend Anne's home, which is totally handicap friendly). I guess if I bleed on days 2 or 3 they will handle that. Of course, I have had bad experiences at other hospitals. At my "neighborhood hospital" back home in Silver Spring, they neglected to order/provide my blood pressure med after my hysterectomy. I had to telephone my daughter and her husband to go to my house, find my blood pressure pills and bring them to me at the hospital. This did NOT happen to me Johns Hopkins or George Washington Hospitals in my local area, of course. Only at the newly-refurbished but crummy local hospital. But I will not be surprised if something falls through the cracks--just praying hard that Duke is as good as its national rating indicates it is!

I am starting the injection phase for the generic Lovenox. I am hoping it goes well with no surprise bleeding at the injection site. Luckily, a lot of the end of bridging is supposed to happen in the hospital where, presumably, the injectors know what they are doing. Also, they have "sharps" containers, which I neglected to get. I hate this phase!

Maryka,
Have the person giving you the shots spread your skin between 2 fingers while pushing down, and inject in the tight area between the fingers. Do not let them pinch to inject. You'll have much less bruising. Then lie still for 20 minutes before moving. Do not rub the area!

Per Walmart, the cost for the generic without insurance is about $250. Much better than the $900+ for the name brand without insurance. I paid $10 co-pay

AgilityDog,

Your posting will help others looking for prices, so thank you. I had to pay absolutely nothing for my RX because I had met my deductible with this health care plan I presently have, which pays all if the item is a generic!

As for "the person who gives me the shot"--where can I get one of those, ha ha!? It is me, myself, and I. I was trained last spring by a nurse at my cardiologist. The only change I have made is to try to give it while I am lying down and then stay lying down for 20-30 minutes. I have had only a bit of back bleeding from my injection hole(s) so far, but last time I did this I had notable back bleed after my hip injection was complete and when I had started on coumadin. This time my medical team at the hospital say they will handle the shots in that reintroduction-of-coumadin time. Then, I trust, they will do something about back bleeding.

I survived the surgery and I am in the tail end of bridging. The orthopedic surgeon, though talented, was pretty hard on me--blaming me for not being an athlete. More on this at a later time. I am at my friend Anne's now and things are far better. The home nurse and home PT person are supposed to show up before the end of this week. Meanwhile, I am taking my mega-pain killer and walking and standing quite frequently. Some lady had a stroke while I was in the hospital, but I do not think she was my doctor's patient. Gotta do my fancy walker trot to the bathroom right now. Hope to check into VR again soon!

Back