fun time

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

richie rich

this is for all of those car lovers out there,

I drove my Vette to work yesterday. I was afraid to use it earlier since I wasn't sure if the pain in my shoulders would act up when I squeshed myself into the driver's seat. Anyway I started the car and took off. The ride was smooth and relaxing until I got on the parkway. Then I put on my Doors cd and hit the pedal. Man it felt great. I took it up to 80 and realized that life is great. It felt so good to be back. I having been driving for a few weeks but I only drove my wife's van. Not the same. The van drives very nice but it is mechanical and boring just like how our valves should function. The Vette is a monster and makes you feel great. It races the heart and makes you feel a little wild and free. I was going to open my window but the wind chill was just a little too cold ( -6 ).
Anyway not meaning too brag or anything, it just felt good and made my day knowing that my life was back to normal (almost).

rich:cool:

Cars . . gotta love 'em.

Cars . . gotta love 'em.

I know just how you feel. Somehow, a ride in "the chosen" car makes it all better. I have my luxo-monster that will, when the time for my surgery comes, be the reward I will look forward to as well.

It has always been that way for me, and always will be. I know I'm not alone on this forum in that feeling (am I Cort?). Keep that oily side down and enjoy -- you've earned it.

SteveE

When my surgeon released me to drive only 2-1/2 weeks after my AVR, he didn't know that I had a 6-speed Corvette. Although being able to drive was a big psychological lift, shifting and climbing out of the Corvette were shear agony on my far-from-healed sternum and ribcage.
That was about the only time that I ever asked to borrow my wife's Dodge Intrepid and told her to take the Vette...

Mark

Glad I wasn't on the road

Glad I wasn't on the road

when you were driving at 80 mph..Richie Rich:eek: Were you not on the heart, lung machine that made you foggy? My head wasn't clear enough to risk driving..Much less at 80 mph.:eek: I started thinking clearly about that time..Enough to take over writing out utility bills, ect.....That non-invasive surgery must be great..You will be ready for the Matterhorn at Disney..I'm just 10 months post today and had my first snowball fight with grandson a few days ago. Felt great. :D Bonnie

hey bonnie

its true i had it up to 80 on the parkway. i was on the heart lung machine for 98 minutes. maybe my head is all foggy like san francisco in the morning but it probably is just the fact that the minimal invasive is great. the recovery has been very smooooooooooooooth. can't wait for disney next week. the weather in Ny is cold. it has not be in this cold in 4 years.

rich:)

He he he....a topic near to my heart ;). Go figure....LOL.

No, yer not alone in that feeling, Steve and Rich :).

Alas, for me...that first drive will be in the 2000 MC...since my older 4 "baby girls" are in storage for the winter :(. It will be April before drives in the "chosen ones" will mean a full recovery for me...heh.....man, and I thought I couldn't take another few weeks of no driving...LOL. Course, as many people in my MC lists and message boards (as well as family & friends) have mentioned to me, my surgery had "perfect timing"....I cannot even begin to imagine how I'd feel if the surgery had cut into "prime drive time" (aka spring/summer/fall)........ayerg...!!!!.

Peace...Always,
Cort Stevens...pig's valve & pacemaker-enhanced 29/swm
Instant Messengers...AOL="fc72mc"...Yahoo="knightfan2691"
member, Faith COB, Batavia IL http://www.faithcob.org
My Chevy MC Family & Story = http://www.aros.net/~rbuck/cort
G1=1970-1972...72
G2=1973-1977...76
G3=1978-1980...79
G4=1981-1988...81
Ga=1995-1999...uh, no
Gb=2000-2004...00 ****FOR SALE****
G5=2005-200?...05...SS, wanted w/V8 & RWD
RIP: 1976=Parents' [my] car ... 1988=Silver Bullet
*****WANTED: 87 MC LS*****
http://www.aros.net/~rbuck/mcspotter/

65 Mustang

65 Mustang

We have our 33 year old son's 65 Mustang in our basement. Been 15 years since it was driven. EVERY night my hubby goes down there. Has gas heat, T.V. ect. and piddles..then orders, then we take a ride to auto parts store. It is candy apple red. Never ask when is he going to bring it outside....Gives him a place to go at night...:D Sometimes he gets in an electrical problem..Anyone with knowledge of remodeling Mustangs. He would love to know..:) :) Bonnie

He he he...Hensylee...what year was your Civic?

Bonnie...the car is in the basement? Is it in parts...or...is the garage in the basement? ;). Sounds like a cool Mustang...is it a convertible or hardtop? Also...I'm sure there are Mustang-related mailing lists/message boards as there are for Monte Carlos...if you haven't already, you might search the internet...wealth of information to be found :).

Thanks for the driving post!
I don't know about the parkway, but here in Michigan, driving 80 is sometimes the safest. Some drivers miss the speed limit signs, and drive the road name. I live just off I-69, which isn't bad, but I often have to drive on I-75; I try to avoid I-94 for obvious reasons.
Several years ago I was driving down 75 in the right hand lane, doing the local speed limit, 70, which someone pulled up behind me, flashing his lights at me so that I would move over (onto the shoulder?) so he could pass. Only in Michigan?

My Honda was a 1988. I traded in a full sized pickup for her! She had gears on the floor which I hadn't used since high school (when that's all there was) and to avoid hills, I would go MILES out of my way. What a big difference going from a pickup where you see everybody on the road way before they see you, to a "bicycle" but she was sure fun to drive and would she ever go.:D

Garage

Garage

The mustang is in the basement aka garage..It is in one piece..and boy do I wish it were a convertable. $$$$$$It would have been long gone:D :D

Hey Bonnie!

Is that 'Stang a straight 6 or V-8? If it is "the cool one" it would have a V-8 (probably a 260 cubic inch) with 4 on the floor. If that's the one, hang onto it. They were fun little cars, and the guys still love 'em.

I had a series of Chevy Corvairs (remember -- air-cooled engines in the rear?) then Camaros, before I went the import route when Detroit quailty hit bottom. Now I drive a Japanese luxo-rocket and take grief every day from co-workers as I work at a company that supplies small component parts to the US auto companies.

Either way, import or domestic, don't ever let them take my wheels away!

SteveE

P.S. Here in Chicago if you are going 75 on the tollway, you will probably be hit from behind. . .

Steve

Steve

John says his is a 289 4 speed--but yes I'm hanging on to it to bury him in it:D :D :D Bonnie

Jim/Steve...yep, if you aren't driving the speed of the road...you're gonna get hurt.... That's why I usually drive my older 4 in the "country" roads...out by Hampshire, Burlington, etc....much more "scenic" routes...and a bit less stressful ;). I have noticed driving into Chicago as much as I have the last few weeks/months that a speed of *well* over the posted limit STILL makes you feel like you are standing still....kinda frustrating.....

Hensylee...my, what a switch...truck to a small car...hmm...... I used to have an '88 MC LS...sorta wish I had that car back now..... Actually, I am lookin' for an '87 MC LS to replace my '00 MC LS...but, several people have suggested I look into getting a pickup....hmmm...course, I always come back with..."but, can you see me driving anything but a Monte?" ;). Hmm..guess we'll see........

Bonnie...kinda figured the "basement" was the "garage", but I wasn't sure....I sorta pictured a car in a basement like ours (no garage)...and started laughing ;). Sounds like a nice Mustang, even tho it isn't a convertible.....

You would LOVE a pickup. I did - changes your whole personality and outlook while driving. can't describe what it does for confidence. I sure did like mine, but alas, I got old and it was too big for the tiny parking places in this tiny town - and you know how hard it is for OLD people to park.:D

Ann

Ann

That reminds me of the story of the young stud in the corvette..and the older lady in the Rolls Royce. He pulled in front of her for a parking place and got out of the car and said to her..It's better to be Young and Quick..She pushed on her Rolls and slammed him forward out of the parking place and said to him..Yes, but it's Better to be old and Rich:p :p :p :p :p :p Bonnie

Careful, Cort. . .

Careful, Cort. . .

Cort - Be careful before you jump into a pickup up here in the Chicago area. Those babies are really light in the tail end, and when it starts to get snowy and icy, they can be real handful. Might not even get it out of the driveway.

How about a SUV? Some of the new ones are slick. We test drove the Trail Blazer and Explorer before buying a 4-Runner. A friend of mine has a Denali -- now that's a lot of truck!

It's gotta be fun to drive, and at least in my case, it can't be a garage queen. We have a 2-car garage and there are 3 cars in the family. I only get one now. Wife has the truck and my daughter has a Civic.

SteveE

Hensylee...I've driven a few pick-ups, and you're right, they do boost the confidence...prolly because you are so "high above" everyone else ;). As for those "tiny" spaces, even some of us "younger" generation have trouble parking in them :).

Bonnie...that's a great story...I've heard it before, but it always brings a smile to my face :). And, it also reminds me of a Reba McEntire song ("Why Do We Want What We Know We Can't Have?"...believe that's the name of it)....in one verse, a lady was out "driving her new Corvette, she rear-ended a semi...(then) she was rubber-necking a new Rolls Royce"...he he he....

Steve...Yeah, the light ends are probably why I wouldn't get a pick-up...a buddy of mine (who I haven't heard from since I got back home...arg) has a 2001 Silverado...and the few times we took his truck (as opposed to my 2000), I noticed how light the back-end is.....kinda was scary.... Hmm...nah, I don't think I'd want an SUV...too much to keep clean ;). And, yep, my daily driver cannot be a garage queen...LOL...my older 4 are in a heated garage west of here...but, my daily driver has to sit outside :(. Thus, I'm sorta torn.......

Speaking of parking lot incidents. My nephew was in college campus parking lot the other day and another driver thought he had been cut off by nephew. He stopped, jumped out of his vehicle, rushed over to nephew, jerked the door open, kicked him and then fisted him a couple times in the face causing cuts/bruises. Then left, drove off. But nephew got his tag # and the guy's days are numbered! Why would someone do such a thing. I just can't imagine.:confused:

Latest posts

Back