Frustration - Operation Date Moved

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajay_22_86

So I just got a call from my hospital and my operation was scheduled for the 6th of May and they've had to move it back to the 20th of May. I understand that they get emergency non-elective cases which they need to prioritise but I was really prepared to have it done next week. I was in the mindset, if that makes any sense? Not to mention I had arranged everything with work, and then there's the added pressure of apply for jobs with interview dates that I thought I would have recovered enough by to attend... It's just thrown me :( Has this happened to anyone else before?

Has this happened to anyone else before?

OH Yeah!

Do a Search on VR.com for keyword "delayed" or "cancelled" and I'll bet you get several links.

It's always 'disconcerting' and often 'disruptive'.
Sometimes it for the best, e.g. if an emergency came in and the surgeon had been up all night, maybe even a couple of nights in a row. It HAS happened.

I heard one nurse comment "I don't know how he does it" after one surgeon hadn't been home in 3 days. I sure wouldn't want to have been scheduled on that 3rd day!

Wow! Here was me thinking the surgeons had an easy life coming in half a day for a surgery and going home! Silly me...and I forgot to have a search on here for it but I'll have a browse through now to see what I find. I know it was moved for the best because some poor person had an emergency, so I hope this thread doesn't sound selfish :p

I know this is disappointing, but for some reason it seems that the members who have had this happen post that the new surgery date always turns out for the best.:confused: I hope it's the same for you.:)

Mary ...thanks for the "always turns out for the best".....I am fighting off feelings of frustration.....I had my mind set twice now and have had to adjust my thinking.
Your comment really helps as does one from DaleG's (he had his surgery on "my" date, only his actually happened) wife Melanie ......Psalms 27:14 after her post I looked it up..
"Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD......pretty powerful for me today! Thanks you all for this great website, a place to find support!! :)

I know it has to be sooo hard having your surgery delayed and I would have hated if my second OHS had been delayed.

But my first.....

I was the emergency and needed surgery right then. I was told someone got bumped so my surgeon could take care of me post haste and I, of course, was grateful. I didn't fully understand at the time (how could I?) just how hard it must have been on the person who had anticipated and planned for their surgery to go forward on the time slot I was wheeled into the OR.

So, for those of you who are bumped, let me apologize on behalf of all of us emergent patients who really needed that surgeon and time slot or we might not have survived.
Thank you for your contribution to our recovery.

This doesn't lessen your stress and angyst I am sure.
But know there are those of us who are grateful for it.

This happened to me also. I was supposed to have my surgery originally March 23rd. The called me the week before that and moved it up to March 20th. Then they found I had a UTI and it had to be pushed back to April 20. So last week I finally got my surgery.

I know what an emotional rollercoaster this can be. And it's like you have to gear yourself up again. Time will go fast. Trust me. My extra month of waiting felt like only 2 weeks. Hang in there.

Hi there. Go with it. Take it as a good omen. When I went in the lady opposite me sneezed. They did blood tests and sent her home. Then there was an emergency the morning of my surgery and it was my surgeon who was doing it. He was still in surgery when it came to my time slot. I was given two options.... Go home and come in again at another date or let another surgeon do it. I decided I could not go home so let the other surgeon do it. Remember...You want a good surgeon, who is not tired from doing another surgery right before yours, and the right staff there to help. If that's not there then best to wait.

Hope it all goes swimmingly on the 20th. That sounds like a good date!

Lotti

Thanks for the feedback guys! Especially JKm7 - it's very interesting to hear the other side of the picture. And there really is no need to apologise, I'm sure everyone in our positions understood why it happened. It's good to hear everyone's elses stories too, about gearing themselves up again and why everything happens for a reason :)

Yes, no need to apologize.....even when a doc is running long with the patient ahead of me I always think "next time I may need extra time" and although emergencies change schedules.....everyone knows if and when they are an emergency they would expect to cared for at once. .........my two cancelations were both non emergent.....once it was the scheduling staff who gave me that date and the surgeon was not even in town on that day......no one picked up on it until I had the pretesting and met with the surgeon in the PM......his first words were "I don't know who gave you that date, but I am not even in town that day".....the second was my own fault......bronchitis.....I am on the last days of the antibiotic course.....but do not have a date. My husband is getting another cold.....the bronchitis came from a cold I caught from him. We are just not used to these Ohio springs anymore......40 one day, 80 the next, 50's and raining the next.......no wonder everyone is sick.

Think of it this way you got a appointment for 3 weeks. That is very good. The appointment I cancelled I waited 2 months and was a wreck. Keep your self occupied you will be surprised on how fast May 2oth will come. Good luck to you

Latest posts

Back