From warfarin to heparin jags

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debrinha GT

Hi there folks. Although I`ve been reading about warfarin for quite a while now I`m still new at this myself as I`ve only been on it for 4 months since I had a mini-stroke caused by my narrowing tissue mitral valve. Anyway, I`ve had no problems with it and my range has been something between 2.5 and 3.5 which`s what they want, quite stable. However, because of some procedures I`ve needed done since then, I`ve had to come off it for a couple of times and take heparin jags on my tummy instead. Then I go back on it and within a few days it`s back to normal so I suppose I`ve been quite lucky there. Now I`ll be starting chemo in just under 2 weeks which would mess my INR up like crazy so from Tuesday on I`ll be put on heparing jags daily for a good few weeks at least. Can anyone tell me what the difference is? Will I feel sore and get all bruised after a few days? Thanks in advance!
Debora

Short answer, yes. Sorry, there is no way to sugar coat it. You might try placing an ice cube on the injection area just before injecting. People say it cuts down on the bruising.

There is a tiny bubble of air in the syringe which helps to prevent the heparin from 'dripping' from the end when first injected. DO NOT push the plunger before injection to preserve that protective bubble.

Some Nurses recommend 'pinching' your belly and injecting into the resulting 'bulge'. Move this around, alternating sides.

Bruising is not uncommon. I don't recall unusual or prolonged 'soreness' or 'discomfort' from the times I used Lovenox injections.

'AL Capshaw'

Try this

Try this

My one experience with heparin was very positive. I have seen the bruising that heparin injections usually cause (relatives). On the other hand I did not have any bruising just little dots the size of the needle.

Hopefully Lovenox injections are packaged as mine were.

This is what we did if I remember correctly.

To start with there is a bubble (nitrogen preservative) at the same end of the syringe as the needle. Reverse the needle so this bubble descends to the end of the syringe away from the needle. Do not, I repeat do not expel this bubble out of the needle prior to injecting. Do not touch the needle and disturb the lubricant that has been applied to ease the injection through the skin. Pinch the skin and then inject. (I positioned myself on the chesterfield/sofa and my husband injected me.)

You will receive the full dose of heparin because the bubble remains in the needle end of the syringe--you can't see it.

Hopefully I have remembered everything correctly.

I did not bruise and the doctors were amazed that I wasn't. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Good luck and best wishes

Great advice

Great advice

Thank you so much for your very helpful posts and I`ll definitely follow your advice. I was also wondering if it`s a good idea to place a warm/cold damp cloth on the area after the injection???? I`m going to my GP tomorrow to get the prescription and then I`ll find out more details as to how long exactly I`ll be needing it for. I`ll keep you posted.
Hugs,
Debora

Latest posts

Back