Four Years & Counting

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome Ben!

Awesome Ben!

That is great news Ben!

I'm glad that at least your heart is normal. We won't discuss the rest of you..

I hope all is well and good with the family..

Keep on Keepin On!

Excellent news! Wishing you many more 'great checks'! Will miss you in Golden. If we make it up to OH for the next reunion....we will see you then!

Take care Ben. :)

Thanks to all for your words

Thanks to all for your words

I too will mish making it to CO for the reunion. It would be fun to celebrate with all of you.

Have a great time and be sure to post pics.

God Bless,

Ben

Candy

Candy

Hi Candy,
just noticed that you posted a question...sorry about the late reply. I actually wrote the wrong details on my post before (either due to pumphead or that my 2 year old is climbing all over me while I'm on the computer!), my homograft (pulmonary) has mild regurgitation and severe thickening. I had trivial regurgitation from both the aortic and pulmonary valves when I left hospital, which my doctor assured me was normal. However, 6 months after my Ross, I had an echo which showed that there was some thickening on my homograft. For most patients this settles, but for me it's gradually increased. Don't worry, this is not common, so I'm sure you'll be fine. I now go back to the surgeon next month for more tests to see if the thickening has worsened or at the same point. I'm feeling good otherwise, able to exercise etc, and I'm hoping that I might be able to convince the surgeon to lift my 'no surfing' ban!
Cheers (and keep us posted on how you're going),
Chris
P.S Would you still like me to send you my research on the Ross Procedure's follow-up studies and the supposed 'rejection phenomenon'?

Chris

Chris

Thanks Chris for the info. I am sorry to hear about the pulmonary trouble! I would, indeed, like to read up on the Ross follow-up procedures. I sure appreciate it! Good luck!
Candy

Hey Ben,

What great news! We go back to Cleveland Clinic on Wednesday to see the vascular physician.

Sometime we need to touch base. Only 5 miles apart.

John & Joann

Chris,

I would like to see some of your research on the RP.

John & Joann,
Yes you are correct, we do need to get together some time. I have more time now than I used to....work not quite as nuts lately.

God Bless

Ben

Well I'm late to this party, but congratulations! I bet it does sound strange being called normal. :D

Finally here!

Finally here!

Hey Candy and Ben,
Sorry about the delay in this response. I've been away and have also been working long hours which hasn't left much time from my own family let alone my VR family!
I'm not able to forward all of the research I have as some are from the National Library of Medicine (photocopied articles), given to us by my cousin who is an echo tech. Apparently you are only able to access this material if you are a member and in the medical profession!
The other articles can be found at www.circ.ahajournals.org
In the search box, type in Ross operation and a number of articles (I think there's more than 40) will appear. Some of the titles are "Midterm echocardiographic follow up after Ross operation"..."Valvular hemodynamics and arrhythmias with exercise following the Ross procedure"..."Incidence, location, pathology & Significance of Pulmonary Homograft Stenosis after the Ross operation" etc
There's quite a few, but bear in mind the age of these studies and the number of patients involved.
All the best Ben, may the good new keep on coming, and Candy, I've just read your post on 'bad news' and I'm at a loss to what to say. You've been through so much this past year, and now you have another mountain to climb. Hang in there and know that we are all here for you. You are in our prayers,
Chris

Chris-Thank you for the links. I look forward to checking out all of that info. And thank you for the thoughts and prayers. I have surgery tomorrow,11/3, and we will go from there. Stay tuned, and stay well! :)
Warmly,
Candy

Chris,
I just read the research you did and printed the article re:pulmonary homograft stenosis, the graft showing the pulmonary gradients over time was interesting. Thanks, it was helpful. That article suggest MRI to further detect the location of the stenosis. Is that ever been mentioned in your case? Glad to hear you will be seeing your Cardio soon and hopefully will have a positive outcome. Thanks again,
Cindy

Ben,

Sorry to respond so long after you posted your good news.
Ben Smith said:
That is the first time in my lifetime I have ever heard anyone use the words normal and heart in the same sentence when discussing me! Great feeling!!
I left my cardio's office in tears last year when he used the words "normal heart function" on me. I get a little weepy remembering. Congratulations.

Back