Four weeks and one day post op and not feeling well

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlouth

The last three days I was in pain but was told my my surgeon that it was to be expected. Due to the fact that even though it was a Miniumally invasive (my cardiologist said only a surgeon could make four incisions and come up with Miniumally invasive) they still cut through extensive cartilage and muscle and of course the rib seperator. But I was feeling stronger breathing fine and happy to discover that although I do have a skin ulcer under my left breast less than a quarter inch from my main incision the surgeon and wound care specailist said no SSI and prescribed antictbotic ointments and I felt that I was improving.

Today I woke up not feeling good and got progressively worse. I find myself hurting on both sides of my chest when taking deep breathes and my heart rate has been up to 102 most of the day. The pain from breathing has decreased signifitly but I feel as though I am having to monitor my breathing to make sure that I don't take shallow breaths. The last three days have been non stop cardiologist on tues surgeon on thurs primary PA for PTINR today. She listened to my heart and top of lungs and said I was good at 11am.

Has anyone else had this type of setback? I have read stories were lungs filled up of partial collapse of
Lung and may just be having a bad day but want to reach out to make sure I'm not under reacting.

Jennifer.

These are early days for you yet Jennifer, you still have a lot of healing to do. If you haven't expressed these concerns to the docs, you should, but it sounds like you've seen the whole team this week already, and been cleared by the bunch? There can be many reasons for some days being worse than others, but a busy week is a big one! Did you drive yourself to all of your appointments? Been doing anything around the house? Just doing normal everyday things (laundry, cleaning, yardwork, carrying shopping bags, driving cars etc.) can cause quite a bit of pain around the wound sites. It will get better though. Just make sure that when you have concerns, you get answers from the docs.

Hang in there!

Paul

It sounds like you are hitting one of those frustrating bumps in the recovery, where you make good progress for a while and then suffer a setback. In my case, those tended to be after I had pushed myself a bit too far, perhaps lifting something I shouldn't or even reaching out my arms the wrong way. The good news is that those setbacks occur further and further apart over time, and by the time your first valversary rolls around they should be rather rare and much more minor. The thing my surgeon pointed out to me was that days like that were to be expected, since OHS is pretty much the most stressful operation your body can go through, given what they had to go through to get to your heart, no matter which method they used.

I think you may be right. Today it only hurts on my right side when I breath in. And yes I have been doing more and more so I am hopeful if I rest again today tomorrow will be better. Will see.

The funny thing is that when I saw my cardo and surgeon I was fine except the pain on my right side from the muscles and nerves And of course the skin ulcer. Then of course after I see them is when I wake up with breathing issues. Just happy the left side is back to normal.

I think you may be right. Today it only hurts on my right side when I breath in. And yes I have been doing more and more so I am hopeful if I rest again today tomorrow will be better. Will see.

The funny thing is that when I saw my cardo and surgeon I was fine except the pain on my right side from the muscles and nerves And of course the skin ulcer. Then of course after I see them is when I wake up with breathing issues. Just happy the left side is back to normal.

When you complained of newer pain and trouble breathing did they do an echo or any other tests beside listening to your heart and lungs, before deciding you were just having normal pain?

ps if you havent been I would weigh yoursef daily and check your temp.

By the time of these symptons i was past seeing my cardio and surgeon. My primary Wasent in on Friday so I saw his PA. She listened and said to call Monday if I Wasent better.

If all of these symptoms are new since your visit this week, then at the very least, I would put in a call to my surgeon or cardio's office. They will have someone on weekend call who will return your phone call. Be sure you explain to them that you woke up feeling not well and have gotten progressively worse and these symptoms were not present at your appts. with them earlier in the week. At the most, I would head to the ER. Sudden development of these kinds of symptoms can indicate problems that can become serious and need to be taken care of sooner rather than later. The PA wouldn't be able to tell much by only listening to you with a stethoscope.

Kim

If all of these symptoms are new since your visit this week, then at the very least, I would put in a call to my surgeon or cardio's office. They will have someone on weekend call who will return your phone call. Be sure you explain to them that you woke up feeling not well and have gotten progressively worse and these symptoms were not present at your appts. with them earlier in the week. At the most, I would head to the ER. Sudden development of these kinds of symptoms can indicate problems that can become serious and need to be taken care of sooner rather than later. The PA wouldn't be able to tell much by only listening to you with a stethoscope.

Kim

I agree. better safe than Sorry. BTW when you saw the cardio on Tuesday nd surgeon Thursday did they do any post op tests? IF so hopefully thats a good sign.

I thank all of you very much for your support and encouraging me to call the surgeon. When I called him and told him about the breathing issues pain he told me to go to the ER which I did. I went to the hospital my cardio goes to since its way closer then Miami and after several hours of tests including an X-ray,cat scan and I can't even remember the bikes of blood. The found something on my lung which they believe to be a small pnemounia or possibly some sort of other infection. Fortunately they caught it early and I am responding very well to the antibotics. Of course I'm back in the hospital which I don't much care for but I'm feeling way better and can breathe again. Hopefully the results will be in tomorrow from the cultures and then they can redo the cat scan and send me home. Honestly if it weren't from those of you councilingvme to call the doctors I would have waited until Monday and that would have made it far worse. Thank you again.

I'm so glad you called and got help. It is SO important to listen to our bodies and speak up after these serious surgeries if we think anything is awry. Hopefully you'll be out of the hospital soon and back on your way to recovery.

Best Wishes,

Kim

Sorry to hear you ended up in the hospital, but so glad you called the surgeon and they ran tests and found the problem, so started treatment, while things were just starting. I'm glad you are feeling better already. How is the ulcer doing? Hopefully that is improving too. Hopefully you will be home soon and getting on with your recovery

Wow. I was looking at my typing and obviously was medicated when I wrote my response. Sorry for the typeos. I'm home now and on antibotics. Apparently I also have a small portion of my lung that they say looks a little like fingers that collapsed. My cardio said this does happen upon occasion along with the mild pneumonia. So the breathing ten times an hour on the spirometer is back on. I see my surgeon on wed and of course I need to get the films and bring them with me. I'm still a little sluggish but better and back in recovery mode As far as the skin ulcer it is improving steadily. I really want it healed because it's going to be a scar. Thank god it's underneath so no one will see it. But thats also the reason it's taking so long to heal. Again thank you all for all of your help and the support of this community is great.

Back