Forum for by pass patients

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Chris

Hi all,
I was reminded today how fortunate we are to have a forum like VR.com.
I met a by pass patient who was the same age as me who is now 5 months out from his operation and who's recovery has not been at all smooth.

He found it was great to talk to someone else who had been opened up the same way albeit for a different procedure, and commented how great it was to finally be able to discuss some of the symptoms and hurdles he was encountering with someone other than a Dr. or family member.

Does anyone know if there is a similar forum for by pass patients?

If no forum, are by pass patients welcome to post questions here as so much of the recovery is similar?

Chris

That sounds like a great idea! Bypass patients should maybe have their own forum in our list of forum topics. There are a lot of similarities in the recovery process. Marcie

Chris, I happened upon VR in 2000 after my own quad bypass in March of that year. I found it in April, 2000. Back then it was a very different looking forum with under 100 members - all faithful. I had never heard of valve replacement but I was searching the net so I could find out what in the world had been done to me and why. I read for quite a while (VR) and eventually inched in to ask a question. It's history from then - I am still here. I cannot join in many of the posts because I have no knowlege or experience to go on.
I can lend support and gain information for my own situation. The site is very important to me. The members allowed me to remain even tho I (and one other member, Billy) had not had a VR. Billy used to say we were the two bas***ds of the bunch.

Yes going in and coming out are alike. It's what's done inside that is very, very different. Valve replacement is far more serious than bypass. Bypasses jump over the clog while valve replacement is actually part of the heart itself - from all I know reading VR. Recovery appears to be the same. In the hospital the routine sounds the same and time in hospital about the same, too. My dr told me full recovery would take about a year and it did. I don't know that bypass patients fare as well in the long run - years down the road. I had a heart attack before surgery and my heart was damaged already, but I get along. Just have to rest a lot and watch my health in general.

We have some members who had valve replacement as well as bypass.

Why not tell your friend to read posts. He/she can read without joining and learn a lot. Then he/she can maked a decision.

I hunted for other sites for bypass and found one, tried it, but any replies to me came in the form of an email to my computer. Mostly there was no response at all. I had a few people email me to ask where the members were and why no normal forum. There just wasn't one and that site never succeeded, tho it might still be there. I don't even recall the name of it.

Hope this helps.

I wonder if your friend would be interested in joining a "general" heart-forum?...
There is a lovely Aussie on-line community http://heartnet.cci.ecu.edu.au/I am a member, it has members who suffer from all types of heart disease (including having by-passes.). Its another great option for those who just need to chat about their experiences with someone similar to themselves.
I got a by-pass and a valve-replacement, so yes,there are some of us here with both.

Thanks for that, I'm sure he would. I had a quick look and it looks really interesting. Great,:mad: another site to get addicted to while I am still being treated for my first addiction.

How are you going now? I only get on the site every so often when I get a spare minute or two and so I haven't seen any posts from you about your progress.

Cheers,
Chris

I just checked into the site and went to the lipitor discussion. Same as ours! Guess it's being discussed all over the world. Maybe one day they will fix the muscle problem caused by the statins.

mmmm...I know what you mean about these addictive forums :eek:

...I really like the Heartnet forum 'cos its local. Us Perthites get together regularly as do many of the other states' members. Now if we could win Lotto we could join in the VR reunions too!:D .

Personally , I am doing great ...feel like my normal self once again and have had no big dramas for ages (did all that when I had my surgery...lol), therefore I dont often start threads. I think my latest problem was/is a climbing cholesterol level...I do however hang around lots and try keep up with all the news and help others with their questions about VR surgery.

I'm glad you all like Heartnet...We woud be thrilled to have some more members. Heartnet has only been around for a little under 2 years so there is still lots of room for growth. Carers, friends and heart-patients are all very welcome, we have even managed to attract a few members from outside of Australia.

P.S. Good to see you Queenslanders have got Bananas growing again and that we can now afford to buy them once again;) .

aussigal said:
mmmm...I know what you mean about these addictive forums :eek:

...I really like the Heartnet forum 'cos its local. Us Perthites get together regularly as do many of the other states' members. Now if we could win Lotto we could join in the VR reunions too!:D .

Hi Toni, Thanks for introducing me to Heartnet. The different format takes a little getting used to but I am sure it will have a wealth of interesting information and some locals to meet up with. I joined up yesterday.

Glad to hear that you feel like your old self again. If you are like me you probably feel better than your old self. Apart from stamina I would say I am back to normal too. (touch wood)

We Queenslanders are just as glad as the rest of the country that we can get the bananas again without blowing the budget. It is amazing how much we took them for granted isn't it.

Aussie Chris said:
Great,:mad: another site to get addicted to while I am still being treated for my first addiction.
Chris

Now now, we can't have that. There is only one that you may be addicted too and we plan to keep it that way!

OldManEmu said:
I tried viewing Heartnet as a guest and all I got was an error message. :(
May try again another time. :)

Try clicking "login as guest" it will then default to a guest username and password and then you need to click login button. I got caught with the error message as well first time around.

Latest posts

Back