For those following Chris

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time for this house to rise and shine. Gotta be there in less then 2 hours. Weeee, here we go again.

Well it's over and he has 4 screws still in place. 2 of them, they'd have to mess up his abdominal flap to get to and that is to be treated like gold, so they won't touch those. The other two are headless screws that would be more of a danger to take out then leave in, so they are still there. Doc gave him the plate that was holding it all together. When I left, they'd given him a popliteal block and he wasn't feeling anything in the foot at all. He may come home tonight yet, but were waiting to see if he can deal with the pain before bringing him home.

Popliteal Block

Popliteal Blocks are used at the Hospital for Special Surgery to help alleviate pain after foot and ankle surgery. Patients who have a popliteal block will have the outside 75% of their foot numbed. Because it does not cover the entire foot, this block is often used in combination with a spinal or epidural for surgical anesthesia.

Once you have arrived in the operating room, the anesthesiologist may ask you to turn onto your stomach. The injection may be placed either in the back of knee or on the side of the leg. Once you are in position, your anesthesiologist will provide some sedation intravenously. This will reduce any pain or anxiety you may be having.

When you have achieved a desired depth of sedation, a long thin needle is inserted and directed toward your nerves. You may feel your foot twitch involuntarily -- that is exactly the desired response from the anesthesiologist. When the appropriate response is elicited, a long-acting, lidocaine-like medicine is injected through the needle.

After surgery, your spinal and sedation will be wearing off. At that point, the outside of your foot will be numb. That numbness may last for 4 to approximately 18 hours.

As with any anesthetic, there are risks and benefits to popliteal blocks. These particulars can be discussed with your anesthesiologist before your surgery.

Ross, I'm so glad that the surgery is over.....and Chris has a really cool souvenir to show his future child.
For lower leg lameness therapy and diagnosis in horses nerve blocking is used quite often.

Ross
I?m glad the operation is over. Let this be the beginning of a full recovery. You and your family has gone through so much already. Prayers for you all

I haven't been on in a while and look what I've missed. Ross, you & Chris are in my prayers. I'm so glad that he came through the surgery okay.

With your sense of humor you will make a wonderful grandpa. Grandchildren are wonderful, they love you regardless of what you can do for them and with them.

Hugs are coming your way!

Right now the question is, How much paih will he be in when the block wears off? He may get to come home tonight yet. The next question is, Will he be able to bear weight on it and walk some? It's all wait and see for now. There is nothing normal about the foot. It is as far from normal as it gets, but were hoping for miracles here.

Ross. Getting late there..Chris should stay overnight..You don't need to be going back out..I know it has been a long day for you..let the nurses take care of him...and hope he is better tomorrow.pain free.:) ....Take care of yourself...Bonnie

So glad the surgery is over, Ross and will pray for all good results and a pain free recovery.

Hoping You All Have a Restfull Night

Hoping You All Have a Restfull Night

Ross, I sure hope they do a better job with the pain management this time! Sending you all wishes for a comfortable night. Your valve bro, Brian

Ross,
I hope things go better this time around.
Hopefully he will get better.
My wife had a severely shattered ankle not many years back.
I thought she would never walk again. She has a seven inch long plate and some giant screws holding it together. They had to re-attach all her tendons.
After seeing the initial x-ray, I was convinced it was over for good.
But today she walks, dances and does everything just like a normal person, and considering she is in her late sixties, it's pretty amazing.
So maybe time and some rehab may get Chris back on his feet again.
And you a grandpa? Your'e too young to be a grandpa.
You are my kids age so am I going to be a great grandpa.......yikes.
Hang in there,
Rich

Hope everything is going well for Chris after his surgery and hes not in to much pain, sending best wishes to you and all the family x

Hi Ross! Best wishes coming to Chris and your family! PLEASE do not be down about not being able to do things with your grandkids. My dad died when I was 19 and my stepdad died this year-I would give anything for them just to be here to hang out with their grandkids. This is why I am so grateful my mom is still here-recalled Medtronic defribrilator wires and all:) She can't do what she used to-but my kids LOVE her totally. We do simple things and I will take it! And your grandbaby will love you totally too.:) Deb

Ross you and your family are alway in my prayers. Also you will make a wonderful grandad. May our wonderful father bless you and your family.

Rebecca

Well he's home. (Insert twilight zone music theme here).

Still doesn't have much feeling in the foot. I guess the block started wearing off about 5 this morning, but Doc sent him home anyhow. We shall see shall we not.

Latest posts

Back