Flying for first time post surgery questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrystal

Hello, my husband and I will be flying overseas in March. It will be about 14 weeks post surgery. He has done very well with recovery and seems to feel even better than before. I have concerns about his mechanical valve and the ticking sound. What can we expect at security? What about on the plane? What do we do if someone comments that he's ticking?! I'm just trying to think ahead and have a plan just in case. Thanks for the help!

You should have been given a card with the valve info on it ....keep it handy....I have one for my mitral ring and one for my ICD and all of it's electrical leads these cards when at hand can be shown to the cabin crew if the need arises OR ask for the lead hand of the cabin crew and show it to them as a preventive move....enjoy the flight

I have flown many times since surgery, with no problems at all. I have a St. Judes mechanical, which has never turned up on the security checks. On the plane, especially for a a long overseas flight, he should walk around at regular intervals, perhaps two or three times during the flight? A few trips to the bathroom should handle it.

Thanks so much for your replies! It might not be a bad idea to speak with the flight attendant in charge ahead of time I suppose. This is very new for us! He does have the St. Judes card with the info about the valve on it. And we both plan on getting up and moving around a few times during the long flight, about 6-7 hrs.

Has anyone had someone on a flight comment on the ticking noise? Of course, he will likely have on 2-3 layers of clothes and it may sound more like a loud watch.

Chrystal, it is unlikely that anyone will notice your husbands valve. You are sensitive to the sound but other people will not be. Each time I've flown, I had my nifty little card from CE but no matter what kind of scanner was used, no one at the security checks ever asked about my valve let alone wanted to see my card. As a test, I offered the card to security in two different large airports and neither of them gave it a 2nd glance.

The most important thing is to walk around every hour or so as Jim has suggested and maybe do some simple stretching exercises. As always, staying healthy is the best way to avoid problems.

Larry

It is highly unlikely any comment will made about him ticking but in the event his card does not satisfy any questioning, showing his scar should do the trick.

I agree with the others he should be certain to get up and walk around frequently. My doctors stressed that to me when we flew not that long after my second OHS.

Have a great trip.

Chrystal:
Before my first flight post-op, I was anxious that someone would hear my heart valve and turn me in as a ticking timebomb <vbg>. However, no one heard ANYTHING.
I have flown many times since then, never had a problem, never had to show my St. Jude ID card. Am flying this weekend in fact and again next month. Also planning a trip to Reston VA in June for a convention.

Because your husband's on warfarin, he should be in a better situation than someone NOT on warfarin for a long flight like the one you describe. He may want to talk to whoever manages his anticoagulation therapy and see if they want him to be on the high side of his INR range. (I would do that if I were planning an overseas trip.)

You will need to watch yourself, too. You might ask your doctor if there's something else you can do other than just stretching your legs during the long flight. Don't know if taking aspirin before your trip has ever been suggested by medical professionals. (Aspirin affects the blood differently than warfarin.)

I wouldn't worry too much, however. Hope you're planning a fun destination and will report back here on your return.

Thanks so very much for all the replies! Your information has been very helpful to us. I will have him talk with the coumadin clinic nurse or maybe his cardio.

I flew at about the same time out and pre boarded.. I was alone and scared to death I was going to get elbowed in the chest.. And I still had trouble getting my carry on in the overhead..That was I was comfy before the mob got in.

Latest posts

Back