Fluid retention post-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiley2000

Hi there to my valve-family ;)

I am 7 month post-op and I am back in the waiting room again... moderate mitral regurg and will go for another echo Feb. 2009 to monitor LV and EF. EF 56% at this stage. Pre-op my regurg changed from moderate to severe in 6 months? can?t help to sometimes wonder how long it is going to take this time before I have to get it replaced this time and if it will EVER progress to severe regurg again? No one really knows, do they?

I battle with FLUID-RETENTION and am now taking 2 Diuretics per day (Lasix and Adco-retic).

Does anyone have an idea why we struggle with Edema post-op? I also had it pre-op, but that was due to heart-failure... so why now? I follow a VERY low-sodium diet and I am not overweight. But if I stop taking Diuretics my ankles, legs and tummy retain fluid and I gain about 2kg in 4 days or so.

Other than that I am doing great. I feel a bit lethargic due to Diuretics, dizzy, and occasional chest pains, arrthythmia, but nothing serious.

Glad to be around chatting to you guys :D

Hi there to my valve-family ;)

I am 7 month post-op and I am back in the waiting room again... moderate mitral regurg and will go for another echo Feb. 2009 to monitor LV and EF. EF 56% at this stage. Pre-op my regurg changed from moderate to severe in 6 months? can?t help to sometimes wonder how long it is going to take this time before I have to get it replaced this time and if it will EVER progress to severe regurg again? No one really knows, do they?

I battle with FLUID-RETENTION and am now taking 2 Diuretics per day (Lasix and Adco-retic).

Does anyone have an idea why we struggle with Edema post-op? I also had it pre-op, but that was due to heart-failure... so why now? I follow a VERY low-sodium diet and I am not overweight. But if I stop taking Diuretics my ankles, legs and tummy retain fluid and I gain about 2kg in 4 days or so.

Other than that I am doing great. I feel a bit lethargic due to Diuretics, dizzy, and occasional chest pains, arrthythmia, but nothing serious.

Glad to be around chatting to you guys :D

Glad to see your hanging in.............

Smiley,

Keep on smiling and keep hanging in there. Sorry to hear about all you are still going through, but I hope things hopefully will turn around and smile at you.:) as you wish.

I too was regaining fluids before surgery, and still have not recovered completely. I was told it will take time...it is improving, but I am still sensitive to even very little salt.

Good luck.

With prayers:)

I hear tell some fluid retention is a byproduct of beta blockers, if you are on those.

Otherwise, according to my BIL, who's an anesthesiologist, a low EF (but at 56% yours is w/in normal range, isn't it?) also contributes to fluid retention because we're not pushing the blood through the body/kidneys as efficiently to get rid of the fluid.

I too follow an extremely low sodium diet, but I'm on 2 beta blockers and have an EF of 48% (in part due to the BBs, I'm sure!). Everytime I go out to dinner I gain 2 or 3 pounds that lasts for several days even with daily spironolactone plus as-needed lasix. And most days my feet get a bit puffy--I love days when I can see the veins in my feet, instead of having fat-lady feet.

Smiley,im sorry to hear your having all these problems

thoughts and prayers and ((hugs)) to you.

Sometimes life is a test isn't it.

zipper 2 (DEB)

I am 7 month post-op and I am back in the waiting room again... moderate mitral regurg

Does anyone have an idea why we struggle with Edema post-op?

I'm sorry to hear this. I had surgery right before you and remember your
preop time pretty well.
I also still have alot of fluid retention and I am 8 months post op. Mine is
because my rt ventricle is enlarged from years of overwork,it has gotten
better but not enough to be free of edema. There are alot of other reasons
for the edema though.
I can identify with what Agility says about being happy to be able to see the veins...sometimes I'm happy just to see bones or wear my shoes!
Wishing you the best-Dina:)

Thanks for the continued support. You guys/girls are the best :eek:)

It is comforting to know that I am not the only one with edema... that means it is sort-of normal post-op.

I'll keep on smiling :D

I am 3 weeks post-op and have had edema since surgery. It is vastly improved, but by evening, I still have fat lady feet. My left is much worse than the right. Is this because the heart is on the left side? My PCP doesn't want to give me diuretics because he says that I'm getting better on my own and doesn't want me to take another medication if it's not absolutely necessary. I can't believe that you all still have it after months! At least I know it's not abnormal.

Smiley,

Sorry that I can't help you with this, but just wanted you to know that my thoughts and prayers go out to you. I hope you get some relief soon...

It might be from the MV regure. You said it changed to severe that is what caused it in me. After my first surgery and the repair failed my regurge increased and so did the swelling. My thoughts are still with you. Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back