fluid accumulation /lasix

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I am hoping someone can give me abit of feedback on the healing process and if you got fluid buildup in your body after surgery.? 2 weeks post-op i got enough fluid buildup that i had to be re-admitted to the hosp. Put on a 40 mg of lasix twice a day , that seems to be controlling it , but i am just wondering what is causing it and for how long i'll have to deal with tthis. ANy ideas or info would be appreciated.
thanks , margie

Ok... sorry about this duplication of posts... please just ignore this one and answer on the first posting ... thanks.

Hey Margie

The majority of fluid retention that I experienced was in my chest area. I had the drain tubes in for 7 days. I was told that it would take several weeks for me to eliminate the fluid. I'm a fairly lean athletic guy.

Hang in their and sleep close to the john!

Hi Margie, you ask a good question I'd sure like the answer to, too. I am 10 weeks post AVR, and I am taking 5-10 mg of Torsemide, and also potassium (the Torsemide is a diuretic). On 5 mg, taken late, my ankles start to swell. I hope more people answer your post, I think I'm on a diuretic alot longer than normal, but I don't know.

Hi Margie, you ask a good question I'd sure like the answer to, too. I am 10 weeks post AVR, and I am taking 5-10 mg of Torsemide, and also potassium (the Torsemide is a diuretic). On 5 mg, taken late, my ankles start to swell. I hope more people answer your post, I think I'm on a diuretic alot longer than normal, but I don't know.

I believe you are refering to FUROSEMIDE which is the Generic equivalent of LASIX, a well known diruetic used for Heart patients who have excess fluid retention.

I think Torsemide IS Furosemide, but the bottle says it's generic for...Demadex! And I had my dosage wrong. A whole pill is 20 mg, not 10. And if I go down to 10mg, my ankles start to swell again. Like right now, it's a bummer, as my Dr. Is watching my BNP numbers which was at 687 at the hospital, was down to 289 3 weeks ago...extremely hoping it isn't real heart failure, but is the surgery...he checks my sternal heave (present but better) and also the pulse visible on my neck...but less visible than a few weeks ago. I wish I could get my gut right, this far out (10 weeks) the pain is getting pretty wearing.

Michellemar - Is the "gut" issue related to constipation? Take a look at my post-op postings to see how bad that can get. To make the long story short, at around 4 weeks post-op I was re-admitted to the hospital for what amounted to chronic severe constipation. One dose of industrial strength laxative (magnesium citrate liquid, IIRC) was all it took to get things back on track. They then sent me home with many bruises from blood tests and a prescription for Miralax. I used that for a couple of days, then tapered it off to nothing over a few more days, and the rest is history.

Why do I mention this? Because if that is your problem, you don't have to put up with it. The cure wasn't bad, compared to the condition demanding it.

Steve, yes, it's the same problem. I was using mag citrate on my own for a while....turned to a good GP who told me no more metamucil...that I just wring the water out of it...and solely Colace in the morning, Milk of Mag evening, and if doesn't work more after breakfast and if THAT doesn't work, cal citrate again. Oh, and Mylanta in between when my stomach hurts. But I just can't do that, after 10 days of it. Never did take all that Milk of Magnesia, but what I took plus Mylanta... Just can't do it anymore. My innards feel awful awful, a good thing epithelium grows fast. I think lack of bile instead of too much HCL in my stomach could be part of why my system won't wake up, but maybe more NON-soluble fibre (avocados, lots of fruit, artichokes, etc.) oh PLUS spicy oil like mayonnaise will get the bile going, and the fiber motility too. My system has felt like heavy/dead, and hummus...mustard....artichoke dip...spiced up mayo made out of olive oil....THESE got my stomach calmed down, and the rest rumbling...so I seem the opposite of normal people. But what works, works...and I can't take all those elements and chemicals anymore...!

I was on IV Lasix after surgery because I had ARDS in my lungs and my kidneys began to fail. I was on it for several days while in the ICU, but have had no issues since.

I am at 7 weeks and again , seem to be building up fluid .. i cannot get deep pain free breaths. I see my cardio tomorrow .. but i am just wondering if lasix is something i will have to be on for a long time . I am also wondering why the fluid? .. .. do i have a leak somewhere and how can they find it or tell if that is the case?

I am at 7 weeks and again , seem to be building up fluid .. i cannot get deep pain free breaths. I see my cardio tomorrow .. but i am just wondering if lasix is something i will have to be on for a long time . I am also wondering why the fluid? .. .. do i have a leak somewhere and how can they find it or tell if that is the case?

This will not answer all your questions, but it does have a little more info: http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?32199-Water-weight-gain-after-surgery

I found that thread after gaining 25 lbs after my surgery. I dropped 10 lbs within a week, and another 10 in the next few weeks. It seems to be a little different for everybody.

I'd be curious to know more if you wouldn't mind sharing what your cardio has to say.

Margie, I asked this in the other thread
Are you talking about over all fluid retention,(that shows up in your legs, feet type thing that if you push in it wil leave little dents) or fluid build up in the sacks around your heart (pericardial) or lungs (plueral) depending which kind of fluid you are talking about, different things help.

Depending which kind of fluid problems you are having could mean quite different treatments and meds that work better for plueral/pericardial fluid arent usually the same as the ones that work best for over all fluid gain, like lasix

Last edited:
Margie, I don't remember just when I was able to stop the lasix, but IIRC it was somewhere around 7 or 8 weeks. Since we're all different, maybe you will be out of this problem soon. Sure hope so.

THe first time i had fluid build up it was all over.. legs , face etc. This time, due to the fact that i am having trouble breathing i am wondering if it is around the lungs or heart more. My legs are not swollen as i do take 40 mg of lasix am/pm right now. I went and took a pain pill and a nap abit ago and feel alot better , tho i know the pain pill is just masking what's going on. But at least i can get a deep breath and not wince . I have to admit .. i just never realized there could be so many little and big complications after the surgery.
I will try and post to the group here after tomorrow.. but i am going to guess that my cardio may order a doppler .. and that won't happen tomorrow unless it is urgent.. and it may be.. who knows . Thank you to each of you for your feedback

Margie - When I first came home from the hospital I had a slight amount of pleural effusion (fluid around my lungs). My surgeon's assistant "prescribed" over-the-counter ibuprofen, saying that it would reduce the inflammation around the lungs, and that inflammation was what was causing the fluid production in the first place. I took two regular ibuprofen tabs at night for a couple of nights, and it actually helped. So, your pain pills, if they are NSAID based, may actually help the healing in addition to masking the pain.

Hope the cardio has some answers for you.

THe first time i had fluid build up it was all over.. legs , face etc. This time, due to the fact that i am having trouble breathing i am wondering if it is around the lungs or heart more. My legs are not swollen as i do take 40 mg of lasix am/pm right now. I went and took a pain pill and a nap abit ago and feel alot better , tho i know the pain pill is just masking what's going on. But at least i can get a deep breath and not wince . I have to admit .. i just never realized there could be so many little and big complications after the surgery.
I will try and post to the group here after tomorrow.. but i am going to guess that my cardio may order a doppler .. and that won't happen tomorrow unless it is urgent.. and it may be.. who knows . Thank you to each of you for your feedback

I take 80mg am and 120-160 mg pm and around 3am 80-120mg so as you see we are all different as I am four years out

Back