Flu Shot

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just FYI i saw some recent posts about this in either the home INR group or the active living group. anyway what i saw was the majority of people on coumadin still get a flu shot and that it does not affect their INR. I don't know for sure personally though. I have not had surgery yet, so i am still a newbie. I hope you find your answer though. check out those other two forums, the posts i saw were recent.

great question, I was thinking not only flu but H1N1 or whatever the swine flu is called! I was planning on getting those this year, and don't know of any reason why not?

Call and ask your doctors. They are the best to answer what is best for you. My docs all want me getting flu shots and I get them.

My drs have always encouraged me to get the flu shot every single year plus the pneumonia shot every 5 years. When I had my last OHS in Mar/06, that fall I got my flu shot without fail.

So my advice is if it is available get it. I already got mine & I'm waiting for the swine flu vaccine next month.

I will be getting BOTH. I did not get sick from last year's shot, if anything just a little aches and pains but nothing serious. I don't want to take any chances.

My flu shot is scheduled for next week. I'm not sure I'm going to bother with H1N1 --- yet.

Not only is the flu shot generally recommended, but people who've had AVR, MVR and several other forms of OHS are considered special needs people, and are included in those who are authorized go-to-the-head-of-the-line shots during shortages.

Naturally, you'll want to check with your doctor, but it would be very unusual for it not to be recommended.

Best wishes,

I've been wanting to get in and get the flu shot (our Walgreens has them on a walk-in basis at any time.) But I've had this dumb cold that's hung on for about 2 weeks.

My doctor recommened both flu shots for me. I've had the regular flu shot every year for about the last 15 years or so. I'm a high school teacher so I might be exposed to the flu a bit more than someone who works in a small office. I've never had any negative reaction to the flu shot in the past and don't expect one now. I will get the regular flu shot from my school nurse and will get the H1N1 shot from my doctor. I believe Bob is correct that those of us with artifical valves are in the high risk group and are allowed to move to the head of the line. I would contact your doctor and get his advice.

Got our flu shots at our cardiologist office Wednesday. As we've done every year since AVR. But I'd taken the flu shots for years before that. We also get the pneumonia shot every 5 years.
Last year we got the shingles shots. We stay well shot up.;)

Cardiologist office said they would call as soon as they get the 'swine flu' shots.

I had my flu shot before leaving the hospital. I didn't think about having one and on the day of my discharge they came and told me my doc ordered a flu short for me before I go. I have never had one before I guess I shall be doing this every year.

(It was regular flu shot not H1N1 - they did not have vaccines available for swine flu at the hospital yet.)

Lori

Latest posts

Back