Flipped the switch

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anutherbuddy

My husband hit the 6 week post op point last week and was still not eating much, sleeping fitfully and lacked energy though he was walking up to 30 minutes at a time every day and going to cardiac rehab twice a week. Then he announced that he wanted to drive since it had been over 6 weeks and, unfortunately couldn't get a doctor's appointment for follow-up check until next week. I reluctantly handed over the keys and moved to the passenger's seat and it was like a switch was flipped. He was happier than I'd seen him in a very long time and since then his appetite has improved (has been excellent, actually) and he's got more energy and is sleeping better. The fog has lifted in our house. A man and his car. What can I say?

Starting about 4 weeks after surgery, I would sometimes drive around the block when my wife and kids weren't home just because I was tired of being told what I couldn't do. :)

The fog has lifted in our house. A man and his car. What can I say?

I sssssoooo understand this!!!!!! :)

Cort | 39.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 2 MCs + '79 & '89 Caprice Classics
CHD.cars + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
* roadsNwheels + CapriceClassicForum = http://rdwhl-capriceclassic.proboards.com/ *
"Just like driving on an open highway never knowing what we're gonna find" __ Lady Antebellum __ 'Our Kind Of Love'

I've been googling 'blacktop therapy' as I've heard of this before from former truckers that drive part time every now and again because of the 'blacktop therapy'.

However, I haven't found any clinical references to it yet.

Exactly the same with me. Give some responsibility back and things return nearer to normal. My caloric intake doubled when the freedom returned. Keep an eye on the coumadin if prescribed, as my dose needed to also be doubled.

Let the man do what makes him happy and brain produces more happy chemical which makes everything lots better.

Not to put a damper on everyone's theories about therapy, but what has probably happened is normal healing. We all heal at different rates, and for many of us, a major improvement seems to happen almost overnight. It happened for me at about the 4 or 5 week mark, after which there was no stopping me. Life went from 20% of normal to 80% of normal within a few days. The remaining 20% is coming along nicely now at 20 months.

Regardless of how or why the improvement happened, enjoy it and cultivate it so that hubby continues to get better and better.

Tell him to be very careful driving before his doctor gives okay.
Not to be a 'debby downer' but should he have an accident, insurance might refuse to pay.

Happy to hear he has turned a corner and is on the mend. :)

great he has turned the corner, but as jkm said be carefull after all somebody could run into the back of him and whoops you have no insurance,so make sure he has docs okay,

I sure understand. I have a 2010 Dodge Challenger that I loved driving. I couldn't wait to get back in it and did so at week 5. Now if i can just get back in my bass boat!! It's coming, may be spring before it happens but I will get there.

Latest posts

Back