First Echo post AVR/ Lack of communication.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james

OK, I had my echo on Wednesday and I have not heard any report back yet. The cardiologist did not have me scheduled to come in until the end of April but, wanted the baseline echo to look at. Is this strange? Should I have these results? I am feeling like we are not on the same page here at all. My surgery was no done by a local surgeon who has contact with my Cardiologist and since surgery I have gotten the best info from my Coumadin Clinic nurse not the Cardio clinic. What is normal here?

James,
I had my follow up appointments with the surgeon and cardiologist 3 weeks after. I had an echo then and the cardiologist reviewed it right in front of me. I am not sure what is typical but it seemed to make sense to me that they would want to take a look sooner instead of later. The surgeon didn't review but asked about my meeting with the cardiologist and what she thought.
Nick

Practices vary so widely that I think the only "normal" is that you are entitled to call to ask when the report will be ready and ask for a copy. If you find that the report is ready, you could ask to talk to the cardio or a nurse just to be reassured there were no alarming findings. My echos are usually scheduled with a followup visit with the cardio 2 weeks later. The only time I got any results earlier was when the cardio called me to tell me I needed surgery within 2 months.

Hey James!

I had a TEE (trans-espophageal-echo) at 5 weeks from the Cardiologist. He just gave me a written report with "everything normal" and some medication instructions. See you should have come down here to Riverbend!!:cool:

Bob

I have had all my echos done and then meet the cardio about 15-30 minutes later for his interpretation and recommendations.
John

I had an echo the day before I left the hospital just as a "baseline". All I got was "things look normal". Next echo is next month at 6 months.

I had a TEE in the OR prior to closing. They did another echo in my hospital room on day 5. I saw my surgeon at 6 weeks (last week) and have a cardio appt. in early April. I don't think he is going to do another echo at that time.

Pat

I have had a couple of cardiologists who prefer to review and dictate the echo results once a week unless the tech noticed something. My current cardiologist reviewed the echo during my visit in Feb so he was able to give me an update on my recovery. It extends the appointment, but it was nice to know right then and there.

Plus, I talk to the tech during the echo. I explain to them that I understand they are not a Dr., but I ask them to tell me what we are seeing during the echo and if it is good or bad.

When I have my echos, the techs are specifically not allowed to comment on the results at all. It's frustrating, IMHO. I know they are not doctors, but I know enough to interpret at least some of the numbers, if they were given to me. Then I have to wait a week or more for an appt to speak with my cardio about the results. It's was stressful after my 3 month echo, especially with the echo done on a Monday, and even though I asked, could not get even a quick summary before the following weekend.

When I had my 10 day echo at the hospital where I had surgery, the surgeon was there to comment on the results during the echo. That was luxury, but I realize doctors are busy with plenty of other patients. When nothing is wrong, our anxiety can usually wait a few days.

Karl.

I also noticed some transitional challenges due to the fact that my surgery was done out of town. It took some drive on my part to get things squared away here locally (things like INR/Coumadin dosing, rehab, stitch removal, etc...). Since my procedure was a bit different than the local team was schooled on, they were kind of learning too, seemed to almost not feel ownership of my recovery. I had to go back and see my surgeon 30 days after surgery where he did review Echo and CAT results with me just a couple of hours after the tests were run. Likewise, with my local Cardio - we set up an echo test 90 days after my surgery for the morning, and an appointment with my local Cardio that same day in the afternoon to review the results. I liked the way that rolled.

My suggestion is to be CEO of your own health, and "encourage" a scenario your comfortable with (ie when setting up your Echo ask to set it on the same day of your appointment with your Cardio - this worked for my Cardio because they did the Echoes right in his office). I actually had my surgeon provide me my own copies of my surgical report, as well as test results imagery on CD's so that I could hand carry them to my GP and my Cardio to ensure they had copies (turned out to be un-necessary as my surgeon had already supplied it to them - but was an interesting read nontheless.)

One of the things I learned through this whole process is, as a patient we do need to take an active role in our treatment. It's ok to question, challenge, and even recommend based on your 'perspective'. We may not be granted our wishes, for good reason - but don't just assume you won't be granted. You can start the whole communication process, by communicating your desires and concerns throughout the process, and improve the probability of your comfort.

You have every right in this country to request copies of any test results. You can go to the records office at the hospital where it was done and get copies of results. They may charge a nominal amount for copying. You can also go to your doctor and ask the same thing. This falls under government HIPAA law, and you cannot be denied by law.

Most of the time, you will not get any calls about your echoes, etc, unless something is quite wrong with it. They usually wait for an appt. to discuss it with you, and you may have to prod them to reveal what it says.

To the OP, I would recommend calling whichever of your Docs ordered the most recent echo, and just request a copy of the summary report for your records. As Nancy mentioned above, you are entitled to that information. I have been very appreciative that I have not run into any problems getting that info, so I hope James will have similar good results when he asks.
Jeanie

When I had my AVR, the first "baseline" echo was at about 2 weeks post-op from my cardiologist's office. I got the results a week later when I met with the cardiologist. I make it a point to request copies of the report and keep them in my file. I went back at 6 weeks and has another one done, the Dr said I was doing fine and we scheduled a 6 month review. I am an engineer and like to get into the #'s, so I asked a lot of questions. The biggest change in my case was that we had a pressure gradiant of about 60 and it dropped below 5, so the pressure was drastically relieved. The other side of the coin is the defraction % dropped from 70% to 50%, which means about 50% of the blood is pushed from the heart with each beat. While you normally want this to be higher rather than lower, it's different for everybody, and it's normal to drop during a surgery like this. The Dr said he would only be concerned if it went below 40%. Hope this helps!

I have had all my echos done and then meet the cardio about 15-30 minutes later for his interpretation and recommendations.
John

Same Here. My Cardio has his scheduler set up the Echo appt followed immediately by an Office Visit with the Cardio.
I also go to their Records Department and Sign the Release Form to get a copy of the Echo Result plus Office Notes and Letter to my Primary Care Physician. I usually ask for those records to be provided by 2 weeks time to allow them time to be processed.

They don't have to question you about why you want them. But just tell them you have a file on your medical conditions and want the copies. They cannot deny you.

Yes, I understand HIPAA requires they supply them when requested and I've never been denied. But I have had doctors ask why I want them. It makes me uncomfortable despite the fact it's my body, my health and my right to have the report.

Tell him because you have an established history, you want copies of your own to track your progress or lack thereof. Your under no obligation to provide any reason.

Latest posts

Back