Finally stabilized, only to forget

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbyn

to take my Coumadin last night. My body has settled on 14 mgs a day. Should I split the missed dose over 2 or 3 days. Taking 14 plus half the missed dose of 7 seems so much to take - 21 mgs. Or does it matter over two or three days. Last time I had my INR done it was 3.5 perfect. TIA

Don't worry. These things happen and you'll be fine.

There's varying opinions here on what to do. Some of us will say to split the does up over 2 or 3 days, some will say to take the dose now if it's been 12 hours or less, others will say to just continue as usual. Taking 14 mg it's my opinion that you should try to work in the dose into the next few days.

What I've done (I take 10/day - at night) is to take half of the dose in the a.m. and then split the remaining 1/2 dose in 1/2 and take some over the next few nights.

Taking 14/day means that you metabolize warfarin pretty quickly, so going a full 24 without a dose will probably drop you by 1/3 (and I'm guessing here and just going off of how my body reacts), that's why I'd go ahead and take 1/2 a dose, so you don't have your system going a full 24 without your Coumadin. For someone taking 5/day, I wouldn't recommend this and would probably just say to resume the dose as usual tonight.

I'll emphasize that my recommendations are based on what my body does and not necessarily the norm. But those of us that take higher doses of Coumadin do react differently than those whose dose is lower.

You can split it as your thinking and take it or you can simply leave it be and just resume your schedule. It'll all work out in the end.

cooker said:
I missed a dose and I just took my regular dose plus half.....that was two weeks ago and I seem to be normal:D ;) :D

Commenting on the last part of your post would just be too easy.;)

Robbyn said:
(I forgot) to take my Coumadin last night. My body has settled on 14 mgs a day. Should I split the missed dose over 2 or 3 days. Taking 14 plus half the missed dose of 7 seems so much to take - 21 mgs. Or does it matter over two or three days. Last time I had my INR done it was 3.5 perfect. TIA

I also take my Warfarin at night, just before going to bed.

To my mind, IF I forget to take my evening dose, the SOONER I take 'something', the better. If it is less than 12 hours, I take the full dose and resume my normal schedule at night (or maybe delay my evening dose an hour or two).

If it has been over 12 hours, I take the FULL dose ASAP and then HALF a dose that evening, HALF a dose the next morning, and resume my regular (FULL dose) the second night.

To MY mind, waiting 24 hours before taking anything after a missed dose only makes your INR Drop Further which is NOT a good idea.

Bottom Line: I try to be sure I made up for the missed dose over the next 2 days (or 3 days at the longest).

Many Coumadin Clinics / nurses / ??? recommend NEVER taking a Double Dose at one time. By splitting a missed dose in half you minimize the 'overdose' effect and get back to normal in 2 days. My method spreads the additional dose out over the day a little more. EITHER way seems to work OK.

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back