Finally, My Sternotomy Scar No Longer Itches...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PairoDocs

rural area outside Buhl, Idaho, United States
Hi All,

This is my first post in many moons. I thought about posting several times in the past since the new site went up, but never got the chance. Life was just too busy. My recent echo came back basically near-perfect, and my cardiologist recommended that I now wait 2 years between echos unless something odd happens. I also had a dermofibroma removed from my right leg, and decided to get some injections in my perennially itchy and bulgy scar. The process hurt, but the results have gradually become quite amazing. From an original width of nearly 1/2 inch and a bulge of 1/4 inch near the bottom, it's now flat or slightly indented from top to bottom, except for a 1 inch stretch near the bottom where a tiny bit of hard scar still is present--only about 1/16 inch--the same as a piece of spaghetti, with flat scar on each side. None of it is dark red anymore; up until the injection about 2 months ago most of the scar was still strongly red. Now it's either regular skin tone or a bit purplish near the formerly bulgy itchy part. Since it was so successful, I'll ask my dermatologist what he injected and will post a follow-up post what it was.

Most importantly, it doesn't itch anymore. :)

Sorry for my long absence. I hope to be back more often. I'm not sure yet if I like the changes in the forum, but I'm willing to keep an open mind.

Chris

What was injected to help your scar? Was this done by a dermatologist or another type of doctor?

Glad you got a good report, Chris :) Keep trying with the new format here and it gets easier.

After I had my valve replaced, I'd read here about a few people who'd had to have their wires removed.

I didn't even want to think about my wires irritating my sternum and so I nearly completely left my sternum incision alone. I didn't want to irritate the wires. Now, aside from the fact that it's still an unsightly scar, it doesn't bother me at all.

But the one that goes across my back, from the coarc repair 31 years ago -- STILL ITCHES!

I still haven't asked yet because it's been a very busy last several weeks. Our insurance company had an underwriter photograph our yard and then proceeded to threaten us with loss of homeowner's insurance if we didn't clean it up by June 10th (today), and we did it. The yard looks pretty good now, and our insurance agent came out June 8th and said things looked good, and that we'd not face another checkup on it for 3-5 years. As for the scar, the injections were some sort of steroid, but again I haven't had the chance to talk to the doctor (dermatologist) just yet. Sorry, Lily about your scar experience, and its continued itchiness. Perhaps even at this late date, the treatment that worked for me will also work for you.

Chris

Chris, I look forward to your report about the injection. At 8 months, my scar is fading fast and has not been a problem. I have a friend, however, who had heart surgery 5 years ago. His scar still looks red and lumpy where mine is pale and, as you described your own, flat with a slight valley running down the center. Thanks for the information.

Larry

My dematologist offered to inject my scar, half of which is rather red, itchy and swells at times 8 months post-op. He said the injection would be cortisone. He also offered up a cream to try called Kelo-cote. I'll try that first.

My surgeon suggested kelocote. I spent fifty bucks for a tube and lost it. Argh. Has anyone tried it with success. My incision is annoying me. It is healed completely but sensitive and puffy. My doctors say it's good but it is sensitive as heck.

Try time and natural Vitamin E oil? My middle name could be "scar" :frown2:

Vitamin E gives many of us a rash -- which I can do without. I'm a year out from surgery, and my scar looks good up top, but still pretty scary down lower. It's red, raised, "ropey," and tender. My dermatologist injected a steroid into it last week. That was uncomfortable, but by no means horrible. The scar seems a little less raised, but the color is still about the same. He told me to come back if I didn't get results; he can do another injection, but I need to wait two months.

Vitamin E gives many of us a rash -- which I can do without. I'm a year out from surgery, and my scar looks good up top, but still pretty scary down lower. It's red, raised, "ropey," and tender. My dermatologist injected a steroid into it last week. That was uncomfortable, but by no means horrible. The scar seems a little less raised, but the color is still about the same. He told me to come back if I didn't get results; he can do another injection, but I need to wait two months.

Have you talk to your cardiologist about it first ? Is it safe to inject steroid ?

Kelo-Cote works. Vitamin E doesn't. at least for me. Kelo-Cote was the only stuff that didn't make my scar itch when applied.

Latest posts

Back