Fighting Cardiac Depression

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an issue that I thought was worthwhile spending some time thinking & writing about. It is more relevant to me now, after my 2nd OHS, than it was after my 1st. Stay positive, stay motivated. My blog post on the topic of dealing with cardiac depression:

http://robovalve.wordpress.com/2014/04/24/how-to-fight-cardiac-depression/

A worthy topic. It can be compounded by some other life issues too, everything from job to relationships.

I feel its worth pasting the contents here as well as just the link. Should your blog ever vanish (years from now) at least that content will be coherently appearing here.

Hi Anthony,

Sorry to hear that you have had such a rough road to travel. It was very surprising to read of your 2nd OHS after how well you were doing. I know what you speak of regarding the topic of depression. I've been off this site for the last 2+ months until now - I had a bad black out/fainting incident due to my beta blocker and ACE Inhibitor drugs (my blood pressure went real low when I got up too fast when my son was crying in the night). I fell and hit my head quite badly (out cold for 2+ minutes - my wife thought I had a heart attack) and ended up with a concussion after being taken to emergency by ambulance. About 10 days after it happened, I was left with horrible post concussion symptoms - couldn't watch TV or read, no computers, only walking short distances, always nauseous and dizzy/light headed etc. My nose bled regularly for 5 weeks, due in part to warfarin. In bed for 16-18 hours a day for 6+ weeks sleeping and listening to podcasts gets real hard after a while. All of this took place only 4 months post op. I was only back at work for 1 month and then had to go on short term disability again because of what happened. Its honestly been more stressful than my original OHS. Its been almost 3 months since my accident and I am only now starting to feel normal again and am back at work part time. Needless to say my fitness level went down the drain! To top if off, just as I was feeling better I was hit with a full blown dose of the flu for 9 days earlier this month, had a fever for 3 days, needed antibiotics, had to do the blood culture thing because of my heart/potential for BE etc. My resting heart rate climbed from 60 bpm to 90+ bpm for several days and is only now going back to normal.

All of this to say that I can certainly sympathize with you...I have had alot of down/dark moments when I wondered what the future would hold. I can't count the number of times I had to tell myself "its going to get better...hang in there, just tough this out and brighter days are ahead...". I kept thinking of my wife, my son and tried to emphasize the positives in my life, but its hard when you're stuck in that moment of bad symptoms with no end in sight. With concussions, I have heard people say: "you're better when you're better". I thought alot about clinical depression and wondered if I had hit that point...still not sure some days, but I do feel much more like my old self lately.

Anyways, hang in there and know you are not alone. I think you are right to find some outlets like you have, to keep you busy (and to keep your mind busy) and entertained as you heal (again). Brighter days are ahead.

Tony

Anthony, my family Doctor recommended a book I found both interesting and helpful.

Coping with Heart Surgery and Bypassing Depression: A Family's Guide to the Medical, Emotional and Practical Issues

http://www.amazon.com/Coping-Heart-Surgery-Bypassing-Depression/dp/1887841075/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398439995&sr=8-1&keywords=coping+heart+surgery+depression

Larry
I found that book very, very useful and helpful. It told me a lot about cardiac surgery before I had it which helped prepare me and dh. Lots of information as well as helping with the emotional trauma of surgery. A lot of the depressive feelings come from post traumatic stress associated with cardiac surgery and the book goes into that in a lot of detail. Also very good with practical issues post surgery for both the patient and carer.

I want to thank everyone here for their input on this topic. And also to Mentu, for recommending the Coping with Heart Surgery book, and Paleogirl for also endorsing the book. I haven't had the surgery yet, and I am in the anxiety of waiting room status. Depression is something that can sneak up on you.

My daughter, 34 yrs. old, was recently diagnosed with melanoma for the second time. (two separate cases.). It hasn't spread, thank God, but she has had a hell of a time getting over the surgery she had to endure. I just realized today, that I am depressed as heck about her. And it is terrible. I imagine this book may help me deal with this.

Thanks to all

hi Anthony,
Although it's quite understandable why you may be feeling this cardiac depression, but it's important to note that you are completely fine physically. You were 100% physically fit, if not 110%, after your first surgery. Then you hit a unique situation with the infection, and you needed the second surgery. This time, you are being restrained physically even though you are once again 100% physically fit. You situation is different from those that you indicated as having cardiac despressions. If you had no restrictions, you wouldn't have this depression. For someone like you, who is used to intense physical activity and someone you had an ambitious physical agenda after the first surgery, the lack of the physical element is playing around with your mind. So that's the first reason of your cardiac depression.

The second reason may be that of uncertainty (with infection). Once again, even though a normal mind would feel that given the circumstances, the probability of any such infection again is one in a light year. This factor will expire on its own, my prediction is. I think, after the 3-4 months (the same time elapsed between your first surgery and the infection) have passed away, this worry will expire worthless. And you will not look back.

In 6 months time if not earlier, with the second reason faded away, and the first one also (as you are allowed to have a reasonable physical activity), you will have an opposite effect of this so-called cardiac depression. It would be such a morale booster, as you would go back to your active life and goals. And that would provide all the rest of us our own set of booster :)
Hang on my friend, it's around the corner when this round of worry is gone for good. And in the mean-time remember, you are 100% physically (and gradually mending mentally as well).

Anthony, awesome blog post!
I find that physical activities make people happier too. Doing stuff, anything really, is a good thing to do. Love that list of things to do that you have on there. I was never patient enough for Bonzai, but how I wish that I spent time on it. While it was mentioned before I heavily endorse "Coping with Heart Surgery and Bypassing Depression: A Family's Guide to the Medical, Emotional and Practical Issues". This book is available on Amazon and everywhere books are sold. (see link in my signature)

Latest posts

Back