Fatigue and Short of breath...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janie

Now that I have come to accept the fact that I'm headed for surger to get my mitral valve repaired, I've quit living in denial and am experiencing more fatigue and short of breath. Granted, having doctors telling me I SHOULD be short of breath and more tired may be playing into it but I usually just blow that off. I was on the treadmill last night too and noticed I couldn't catch my breath. Anyone else experience this or am I just losing my mind? Seems like the more I notice it the worse it gets. Any thoughts? And, is it time for me to give in and take a nap? :)

Another Janie...

Another Janie...

Hi Janie and welcome from another Janie..!:D My name on here was Janie for years until the website had a problem with me being "Janie"...!

Yep, SOB is sure going to be your friend or enemy..however you look at it. I like the 'nap' idea..

Again welcome..!!

Hi Janie, Welcome. Yep shortness of breath, fatigue can get overwhelming. Everything in moderation is key. Do a littel rest and dos ome more that is how I've gotten throught it. My doc has pulled me out of work becaus eof my fatigue and shortness of breath and my surgery is 7/6

I was getting Sob and fatigue alot before I found out what was wrong with my heart. I just learned to live with it but the dizzy spells were getting worse before I found out. Take a nap if you are feeling too tired. It's not in your head, it is really happening.

Janie,

Here is what I understand, you started to have SOB and tired only after doctors told you to watch it, then its more or less anxiety, where in you watch the symptoms more and they get exagerated to an extent wherein you are more scared.

Anxiety symptoms are SOB and tiredness, since you have accepted it then give yourself some space and try to relax it out and take steps in this direction.

However since these symptoms are common you'd prefer not to do anything that leads to these symptoms. So take rest whenever it happens, even today I feel that I am tired and sleepy and tired if alone and thinking about these things, otherwise its all fine. Try to talk to people who are really close to you about something else other then this.

Take care for now and best of luck for your surgery.

Regards,
Varun Bahl

you are going to be short of breath and fatigued and in fact it will keep getting worse until surgery. but some of it may be anxiety. whenever i had a hard time breathing at night i would get upset and worried and would it would start getting worse right away. it would take me getting out of bed and sitting up before i could get it go away. just keep in mind it will get worse but after surgery which mine was on may 29th it is so much better. i can breathe so much better. i got winded just talking on the phone and walking around the house. by far the dizziness was the worst before surgery. you will feel alot better after surgery. it might take a few weeks after but you should notice that your breathing is better rather quickly. i noticed i was feeling better as soon as they put the pacemaker in which in my case was one of the bumps in the road after the initial surgery. but i am slowly getting back to normal or what my normal was before the symptoms showed up.

Janie,

Welcome aboard and wish you luck.

Noticing getting more fatigued and short of breath is due to being more aware of their existence. Before my surgery I used to kick away the SOBs as SOBs and thought they were sighs due to the tension and axiety will all have in our lives, and I analyzed the fatigue was due to doing too much and age, while they were both indeed due to my failing valves.

Taking a nap when you get tired is a good idea and my humble advise is not to do strenuous exercise or anything that will get you to the state of getting out of breath. Walking every day is the safest exercise to keep your heart's muscle in good shape until the repair. :)

I know what you mean! and it doesn't feel good to be out of breath. I have had my aneurysm repaired and my valve spared and I still experience some days where I have shortness of breath. It's difficult to tell if it is anxiety, (I work at least 50 hrs a week), or if it's due to my condition. I've always had this even when I was a child, however I can honestly tell you that after my surgery, I can swim and exercise, and it helps the breathlessness. You will feel much better after surgery. The days that I feel that I can't catch my breath, I practice meditation. It helps to know that I have the ability to calm myself without drugs. Walking is really good exercise... just try not to get stressed mentally and physically.

Thanks...all great advice. Yesterday, as I was working around the house I noticed it. I always blamed my sob on my crazy busy life and I have to admit I just tried to ignore it. Now,I am sure it is a combination of my "severly leaking" valve and a tad bit of anxiety!

I find that trying to keep my mind off of it is the best medicine. bHowever, the closer I get to my surgery date the harder that is!

I am scheduled for a heart cath on July 13th and was told that I have to lay flat on my back...well, that is REALLY when I get short of breath. No sleeping on my back and no laying on my left side. And, the thought of that in itself makes me a little anxious.

I am finding that I am surely not alone is all of this and its great to "talk" to some MVPers that experience the same thing.

Thanks...all great advice. Yesterday, as I was working around the house I noticed it. I always blamed my sob on my crazy busy life and I have to admit I just tried to ignore it. Now,I am sure it is a combination of my "severly leaking" valve and a tad bit of anxiety!

I find that trying to keep my mind off of it is the best medicine. bHowever, the closer I get to my surgery date the harder that is!

I am scheduled for a heart cath on July 13th and was told that I have to lay flat on my back...well, that is REALLY when I get short of breath. No sleeping on my back and no laying on my left side. And, the thought of that in itself makes me a little anxious.

I am finding that I am surely not alone is all of this and its great to "talk" to some MVPers that experience the same thing.

Actually, you don't have to be completely flat. The hospital bed can be on a slight angle for your upper body. However, you have to keep your leg straight. The worst part for me was that I have a weak bladder and am unable to use a bedpan!!!:eek:

Latest posts

Back