Faith and OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psalmist

I just celebrated my 35th birthday! It's hard to believe it but I totally missed my valversary! It was 3 years oct 2nd. If you would have told me that I would forget I would have laughed at you. Anyway. I am curious to know how OHS has affected your faith (whomever). I know that this can be a sensitive subject so you can PM me if you'd like. :p

First off CONGRATULATIONS
congrats.gif

As to Faith i would say it is stronger BUT as I did experience "the light" I know there is in fact a better place

I pretty much feel the same way, as before my AVR I have always been a believer, even though I have had occasional doubts. I just can not talk myself (even though I've tried) into NON-belief! To me quiet frankly, it just makes no sense NOT to believe. I find life for me is much better with God.

Take care

I had faith going in and I have faith coming out ... I find that people of faith seem to have a much happier, healthier life in general ... health is not composed only of the physical ... physical, emotional and spiritual play a part and if a part is missing or not functioning properly we suffer ... it does not matter what I think of God, what matters is what He thinks of me....

I had faith going in and I have faith coming out ... I find that people of faith seem to have a much happier, healthier life in general ... health is not composed only of the physical ... physical, emotional and spiritual play a part and if a part is missing or not functioning properly we suffer ... it does not matter what I think of God, what matters is what He thinks of me....

Very well said Cooker.

Happy Birthday to a fellow 35-year-old! Yeah 1975!!!

As far as faith...the fact that I'm even here is proof enough for me that God exists. My mother, as well as the rest of my family, has always said that my being here is a miracle. My heart stopped when my mother was in labor with me, and started again on its own...fill in the rest.

So, yes, I feel blessed...blessed to have had not one, but TWO great cardiologists and a surgeon.

My faith has been shaken a bit since my mother died a little over a year after my valve surgery, but that's a story for another time.

I just feel that God has sustained me through everything...and He will continue to sustain me. He made me a heart disease survivor for a reason.

Best to you,
Debi

Faith is what got me through the surgery and during the healing process. I had absolutely no fear going into the surgery because I know who my Lord and Savior is! Faith is what defines me, and always will as I live for Him because He died for me!

I love the responses. For me, I was an avid, passionate believer. I have had my struggles since. I like Kathy McCain cannot convince myself not to believe. Honestly the whole OHS experience made me feel very insignificant. I came to a realization that had I died, everyone I knew would keep going on without me. That was very difficult. Selfish indeed, but honest. I realized that I wasn't as important to the 'world' as I thought. I now realize how precious every moment is. And as far as God goes I really felt like he was there but didn't do anything about it. That was harder to take than not believing. I can't say why I felt that way and I really cherish my faith but it really hit me hard. I am still redefining my faith 3 years later. I feel that there is potential to be even more in love with God now than before but I have to move past the ??? to get there... Thanks again for sharing.

I love the responses. For me, I was an avid, passionate believer. I have had my struggles since. I like Kathy McCain cannot convince myself not to believe. Honestly the whole OHS experience made me feel very insignificant. I came to a realization that had I died, everyone I knew would keep going on without me. That was very difficult. Selfish indeed, but honest. I realized that I wasn't as important to the 'world' as I thought. I now realize how precious every moment is. And as far as God goes I really felt like he was there but didn't do anything about it. That was harder to take than not believing. I can't say why I felt that way and I really cherish my faith but it really hit me hard. I am still redefining my faith 3 years later. I feel that there is potential to be even more in love with God now than before but I have to move past the ??? to get there... Thanks again for sharing.

Seth, I really felt VERY similar going through my surgery. He indeed was present, but he wasn't doing anything about it. Feelings of insignificance. The world continuing without me. I am sure there are alot of other people that have had very similar feelings, but they really aren't sure how to articulate it.

Let me share with you something my husband has said. " I believe all of our questions concerning God will not be answered here in this life, but will be answered in the next.

Take care, and keep the faith

Because of my faith I had no fear the day of OHS.I figured if I didnt make it I would be in a much better place.So it was a win-win situation going in for me.
My only concern was to be the pain if I survived. (which I barely did) God has never given me more than I could handle.Although it has been close a few times.

I came to a realization that had I died, everyone I knew would keep going on without me. That was very difficult. Selfish indeed, but honest. I realized that I wasn't as important to the 'world' as I thought.
Many people do not step back and make this connection with their place in the world until faced with their mortality.
As I say the sun rose in the east and set in the west before I came into the world and will continue to do so after I am gone.

I have a strong faith in God, always have and always will! My faith has never waivered!

In my opinion, I am not in control of my destiny nor my life. I believe that our Holy Father is totally in control and my life is His. When my time on this earth is served then He will call me home and I'll be ready!

Besides this forum, I am a member on several Catholic and Christian forums/email lists. I am also active in my Catholic parish as a lector and a member of the choir. This keeps me coming back to the thought that with so many people praying for me, how can I not have success?

A few weeks ago a college buddy who is now a youth minister at a Presbyterian church in N.C. prayed with me on the phone. He reminded me to seek to glorify God, whether I live or die.

I also think I am handling this better than my last brush with mortality 3 years ago, when I spent a lot of time in the hospital due to resistant infections. That is also when my atrial fibrilation was discovered.

My consultation with the surgeon is coming up on Wednesday morning. I would appreciate prayers.

Edward aka Zoom - in the waiting room

Because of my faith I had no fear the day of OHS.I figured if I didnt make it I would be in a much better place.So it was a win-win situation going in for me.
My only concern was to be the pain if I survived. (which I barely did) God has never given me more than I could handle.Although it has been close a few times.

You know, I've heard this said before. If you are a Christian, this is what you believe. You know that your existence here on earth is only temporary. When you die, you go with God. So yes, it is a win, win situation. I also believe though, that a certain amount of aprehension about dying is natural. Not to get off topic, but I guess my greatest fear, is being totally disabled somehow, and being completely reliant on others. I fear this much more than death.

You know, I've heard this said before. If you are a Christian, this is what you believe. You know that your existence here on earth is only temporary. When you die, you go with God. So yes, it is a win, win situation. I also believe though, that a certain amount of aprehension about dying is natural. Not to get off topic, but I guess my greatest fear, is being totally disabled somehow, and being completely reliant on others. I fear this much more than death.

I agree that is my biggest fear too.

I always smile when I see your posts Seth! = You would be missed and you do make a difference! I don't know if what I am about to say will make sense to any of you... I am perhaps the biggest fool any of you have come in contact with. I am also the most fortunate man you are ever likely to come in contact with. There are times I ignore God, but for me it is not a matter of belief. Zoom, you've got my prayers. All the best, your valve bro, Brian

I went into the surgery as a non-believer and came out a non-believer. It has not changed my "non-faith" at all. What did change is that I appreciate things much more than before and I let go of negative things in my life more quickly. I try not to dwell on bad things that happen. I think I have a clearer idea of how I want to live the rest of my life, not specifics, but in general I want to be a happier person. People that know me well have noticed that since surgery I am much more postive and upbeat, and I don't force it. So as ridiculous as it sounds, I'm very glad that I had it. It may have been a terrible thing to go through but I was a miserable scrooge-like perfectionist, depressed, moody person before, and now I'm a new person. I relish simple moments of pleasure, like reading in the lawn chair in the sun, or having a nice bath.

Latest posts

Back