Exercise?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. Also several hundred over head arm exercise while walking.

Olefin, curious about what type of over head arm exercises you do while walking. I, too, walk every day but would appreciate knowing something about these other exercises. Since I also have COPD along with my repaired valve, I find it difficult to do much exercise without getting really SOB but I can walk a couple of miles at a time and would think your over head arm exercises might work into that without making me too SOB.

Thanks,
Midge

Thanks Juan.

Today, at five and a half weeks post op, I am slow walking 30 minutes three time a day on flat surfaces.

Juan, it looks like you're doing excellent for being 5.5 post op!
Back then I was no where close to that. I had only been home 2.5 weeks.

Good luck!

Hi Midge,
My overhead arm exercise is part of what we use to call "Jumping jacks". You know, jump up, spread your legs and touch hands overhead. Well, I only do the hand part while walking. It alone increases my heart rate 15 to 20 points. I walk in an area that has some small hills. I do the arm exercise while going downgrade to keep my heart rate up.
I could get the same results with increased walking speed but I'm already walking pretty fast. Besides I think the arm exercise is good for my upper body. I usually do a session of 70 while going down grade or or on flat ground.

Dayton, thanks for the info. I know exactly what you mean and will give it a try. Also, never thought about counting the steps per minute...would provide a little incentive. For the summer I've only been walking close to 2 miles a day but will go back to AM and PM walks when the weather cools down and that will get me to at least 3 miles day. Then back to the dreadmill when it really gets cold and windy. The only thing good about that is being able to vary the incline. Well, speed too, but I feel like I do a pretty good clip now.

Thanks for the help. It is all useful.

Midge

Need to change your thinking...

Need to change your thinking...

How many of you exercise (dirty word) and what type and how long do you do this? Does it really make you feel better? :cool:

Think of it as a luxury. Those who can't do it wish they could. Those who can and don't are missing out as you discovered briefly during your cardio rehab. It's truly amazing to notice yourself improving, which doesn't happen day 1. Some people need a coach or personal trainer. If it's affordable, I recommend it....highly. If not, join a gym, take some basic level group exercises and get used to how it feels to work out and push yourself, even if just a little. You will surprise yourself. Check with the doc first, of course and get cleared. But MOVE. It's one of the most important things you can do in to improve the quality of your life.

I've been away for a while, this is a good thread;

Like Sumo I try to exercise in some fashion everyday.
Today I played golf after work, carry your clubs don't ride. Some days my wife and I walk a couple or three miles with the dogs. We ride bikes on our community rail-trail with the kids, and I run a little. So far I have run in two 5 K's this summer. Generally on Tuesday's I go to the gym and lift.

Whatever you choose, choose to do something everyday up to your ability.
As someone here said prior, the more often you do, the easier it becomes.
Good thread.

Rob

3 times a week (mostly but not all the time); mix of gym (cardio mostly a little bit of weights) and the occasional hike/bike excursion.

I ALWAYS wear my Polar when I exercise and keepvery honest an exact track on the polar www of what I do. I try to stay within 120-140 bpm HR.

Just completed a hike in the Swiss Alps where we had to 'conquer' 1200 meter altitude difference on day 1 - no problemo at all - tks to my surgeon ;)

all the best

Latest posts

Back