Exercise?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terodac

How many of you exercise (dirty word) and what type and how long do you do this? Does it really make you feel better? :cool:

lift weights twice a week, run once or twice a week, and have a 1 hour torture session with a trainer once a week. While its not necessarily enjoyable while your doing it, you can see and feel the benefits after the fact for certain.

I walk on the treadmill every day. About 30 minutes. I'm sure it helps the heart. I do get my pulse up, about 122. I do it right after work and get it done. I feel fine.

I am limited because of CHF & a-fib but I do walk about 1/2 mile every day. It does not really make me feel better at the time but it does help keep me from becoming a plus size woman.;):D:eek: I have never liked "exercise". I was very active before things got a bit crazy healthwise so I was always thin and in good shape. Things are a bit challenging now but I try to maintain.

I try and exercise about three hours a day ... Which sounds like loads I'm sure but it's early morning surfing and evening cycling, both of which I really enjoy. I dont have any gismos for heart monitoring or bp and milage or steps or any of that stuff but it definately helps my general well being, energy levels and health. My bp is normal now and it shot up after my op and I dont have any fat on me (much anyway!) and I eat like a horse !!
It's not a dirty word, just takes a bit of getting into, the more you do the more you'll want to do, and it dosn't just mean going to a gym puffing and panting with loads of loonies in nasty stretchy clothes then showering in public showers. Even a brisk 30 minute walk with your ipod on is great exercise. Download a book or two and listen when you walk, it's fun and healthy too !?

Sad thing is a have two dogs and I need to walk them, I just can't seem to stick to it something always happens and I stop! I will do this I will, I loved rehab and felt so much better. I will walk 30 mins a day if I have to do it in 10min time frames 3 times a day!

Sad thing is a have two dogs and I need to walk them, I just can't seem to stick to it something always happens and I stop! I will do this I will, I loved rehab and felt so much better. I will walk 30 mins a day if I have to do it in 10min time frames 3 times a day!

Our neighbor has 3 dogs but he walks one a time so that he will walk three times instead of once!!

Once you start and stick to it, it will become easier and easier with TIME and becomes a routine after a while. The hardest is to start and to push yourself to do it especially when you know you can do it but do not feel like doing it.

Good luck.

I try to work out about 45 to 50 min. at least two to three days a week. I get on the eliptical and then use a couple of weight machines. I hate the treadmil. I also like to split firewood and walk the dog.

My wife and kids think I am nuts when it comes to my firewood :). Hey it is a hobby :).

Karl

I just realized I didn't answer the second part of your question: Does it make you feel better? The honest answer is "not always." Among my assorted maladies I have spinal stenosis, so my back usually starts hurting just a few blocks out. But I keep going and do some stretching and bending to alleviate it.

There are times I do feel better (usually when weather is cooler than it is now) But there also are times when I am tempted to just push Superdawg out of the back door. However, I know a walk of a mile or two is good for both of us, so we do it. I guess it's the mental sense of well being more than the physical. If I didn't do this, I would soon weigh 400 pounds and have to be moved around by fork lift. :p

Me too, forgot to answer the second question.

For me, I had to stop when I had to in order not to overdo it, since even though I felt better afterwards, I paid some price the following days being lethargic. But now, after increasing my exercise a little bit every couple of weeks, I am OK and I feel better and continue so.

So, if you are like me, take it easy and repeat the same exercise over and over until you feel bored and need to push a bit more and so on. :)

I walk the dog about a mile per day, and bike between 12 and 15 miles on Saturdays and Sundays. Heart is fine, but I have arthritis in my left hip (rt was replaced last April) that makes it hard to swing my leg over the bike seat when I am getting on it.

I am trying to find an NSAID or analgesic that my PCP, Cardio and Orthopod can all agree on since I take warfarin. . .

Sheesh, that's like finding a needle in a haystack.

I exercise somewhat intermittently. I will ride my bike everyday for a week and then the next week I will only go for a couple walks. So,from this, I can tell you that for me exercise makes
me feel alot better. It's just not enjoyable since I have rt sided heart failure and am very SOB
at times.
But after a week of moderate exercise,I feel much better(and thinner:))

Before my surgery I brisk walked between 5 and 6 hours a week thru sloping terrain. Today, at five and a half weeks post op, I am slow walking 30 minutes three time a day on flat surfaces. I expect soon to slowly increase the length of the walks, and start adding a few slopes. I think I will have to maintain the present speed for now.

Juan

I exercise almost every day in some way, always have, always will. It's not a dirty word. It keeps me fit and feeling great at all times. Feeling better is not an immediate result as in I ran 10 miles, now I feel like the king of the world. In fact if I ran 10 miles right now, I'd feel like collapsing into a heap. No, it means all day every day you are more alert, more able to cope physically and psychologically and more stable mentally than the average person. All of which has been proven over and over by medical research and that's just as true for heart patients as for Olympic athletes.

Exercise????

Exercise????

Yes, exercise does make me feel better. I focus my efforts on training for lengthy charity fundraising bicycle rides to benefit causes like cancer and Parkinson's research.

It's easier to exercise if you find some activities that you enjoy. Multiple activities help if one is prone to getting bored with doing the same thing.

While I appreciate your humor with the reference to exercise being a dirty word, I simply look at attempting to stay fit as a challenge.

-Philip

I did cardiac rehab before my surgery, and felt much, much better then; in fact, I lost about 35lbs in the 6 months that I went. Just walking, 30 mins, twice a week. As soon as they kicked me out, I stopped. I do ride a bike (neither DH nor I drive) frm time time, but events have been conspiring against me the last 2 or 3 years (OHS, a bike I didn't like and then a broken arm ...) I need to get on that bike soon, but I tried last week and every little bump in the road just jarred that arm

I had jogged for 3 miles a day for 15 years before AVR. The year before AVR I had switched to fast walking.

Today I still walk 3 miles a day, walk fast enough, at least a 140 steps a minute to keep my heart rate around 120. Also several hundred over head arm exercise while walking.

The first time my cardiologist did the Cardiolite stress test he couldn't believe how good a shape I was for a person my age.
On the last one, he remembered, he didn't mess around, he brought me up to my maximum heart rate fast.

The "right kind" of exercise does pay off!;)

Latest posts

Back