excercise after mitral valve repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubywhistle

Now its been nearly two months since my repair and im starting to worry as i have been told i will not recieve any rehab due to Christmas. On my last instructions the day i left the hospital i was told three 10 min walks a day so ive just been doing that, did a 30 min walk yesterday and now my legs hurt its very weird because i walked quite a bit before the op even with breathlessness ect i pushed through. My GP did not have answers and I cant get in to see cardio or surgeon until Jan due to rec leave ....I feel confused and like i may have slipped through the gap here? Just thought I would throw this out there and ask what your walking plans were like...i really feel i should be doing more and it scared me when I couldnt.

Hi Ruby, I too felt that I slipped through the gab and going to rehab was never suggested to me.
After my first 2 weeks from surgery, I slowly increased my walking, some days were better than others after taking a long walk. Walking at a slow but steady pace and making sure I didn't go to far - you have give yourself time to get back. Within my house I did the stairs, first doing three steps, then 6. I figured if no one was going to help me I had to help myself. I got on the internet, found what I was looking for and found this amazing site.

If you feel that you can do more, take it slow and do it. Yes you may feel it the next day, but your the best judge on you can and cannot do.

Good Luck

At two months post op, it is strange you can't walk 30 minutes. Assuming no other conditions, you most assuredly should be able to walk more than that if you have consistently walked since your surgery.

I didn't have rehab after either of my surgeries but I was highly motivated to get out and walk regularly and to steadily increase distance and pace. My cardio and insurance would have approved it but my cardio felt I was doing just fine and would not get enough out of it to make it worth it. In his words, it isn't for everyone though he does recommend it for many.

If this is just a sore muscle thing, then you should be fine if you safely and moderately continue your walking and build up muscle tone. The sooner you get stronger, the better for your general well being.

Best wishes....... hope you are able to get back into your pre surgery walking condition.

You can call your doctor and ask for a referral to rehab, to start after the holidays. Just ASK! I know it can be a bit scary to try more exercise on your own, and that's one reason why supervised rehab is good. 8 weeks is about the time you should start, but a delay of a week or 2 is not a big deal.

Yes, you may very well be very sore and tired as you start increasing your exercise. So try doing just a 20 minute walk every day this week, even 2x per day, rather than one 30 minute walk.

Ruby,

It took me some time to work myself back into shape after my surgery. Maybe that was because I had subconsciously let myself run down a bit in the weeks leading up to surgery, since that breathlessness you mentioned was quite a downer. I also didn't get sent to rehab after the surgery, since all the doctors and nurses in the cardiac unit said I was in great shape compared to most patients. AgilityDog hit the nail on the head, it is a bit spooky to go out and start pushing yourself. I know it took more that two months for me to get back on track. I remember going off for my first business presentation at about the three month mark, and I was absolutely worn out by the end of the meeting. But I kept progressing over time. I still have vivid memories of certain times when I realized that I was easily doing simple things that had become difficult just prior to the surgery.

My suggestion would be for you to continue to stretch things a bit at a time rather than trying to make too big of an advance all at once. Then the day will hit when you stop in your tracks and smile when you realize the progress you have made.

Hang in there, it will get better!

update for you guys

Just finished 6 week cardiac rehab and feel so much better
I was definatly too scared to do it alone as you mentioned and was in very bad shape by the time i got into rehab
way more confident now and i even do weights!

i just have to keep it up now... that will be hard but WILL DO

Latest posts

Back