Evidence that Ibuprofen is antagonistic to aspirin's anticoagulant effects

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mentu

Premium Level User
Supporting Member
My surgery was performed at Oklahoma Heart Institu
I've read a couple of articles suggesting that there is evidence that Ibuprofen is antagonistic to aspirin's anticoagulant efftects. Other articles suggest that there is no established link. Do any of you know more about this? Have any of your doctors told you that you should avoid Ibuprofen if you take aspirin for its anticoagulant properties following valve replacement?

Larry

Aspirin is in the category of "anti-platelet" drug, as is Plavix.....and Coumadin is an anticoagulant.
I've been told to avoid Ibuprofen since it falls into an anti-platelet type of category which would be compounded by already taking the Aspirin anti-platelet.
Probably a few pills to help with occasional muscular aches are okay, but I wouldn't want to take any long term.

There is a lot of conflicting evidence about the effects of other NSAIDs on aspirin's base antiplatelet activity. My sense of what I've read is that the jury's still out. My own cardiologist has said that it's unlikely to damage the effects of aspirin very much, if at all. He suggested staggering the times you take them, with the aspirin getting the first shot at your system in the morning, if I was concerned about it.

However, long-term use of ibuprofen or other NSAIDs in conjunction with aspirin will raise the risk of stomach bleeding. If you have a headache or the flu, it's not a big deal. Taking it for a month or more for joint aches or similar uses could potentially lead to irritation or bleeding problems in some people.

Another point: almost all 81mg aspirin are enterically coated these days, to avoid irritating the stomach. A Scottish study done a few years ago determined that not all people get an effective dose of aspirin from those tabs, because the colon (where the enteric coating dissolves) is not as good at absorbing the aspirin as the stomach. As such, it might make sense to take two 81mg aspirins (I do).

Best wishes,

Last edited:
Asprin

Asprin

I noted a headline just last week about changes in the attitude of members of the medical community regarding taking 81 mg asprin tablets to promote heart health. The article cited something about concerns over asprin causing stomach problems. Perhaps it's reckless, but I'll continue to take my 81 mg asprin along with my coumadin every night.

-Philip

The article cited something about concerns over asprin causing stomach problems. Perhaps it's reckless, but I'll continue to take my 81 mg asprin along with my coumadin every night.
-Philip

I've taken a 81 MG aspirin daily ever since AVR. And I had a severe bleeding duodenal ulcer the year before AVR. I take the aspirin after breakfast and warfarin in the late afternoon.

Last edited:
I've taken a 81 MG aspirin daily ever since AVR. And I had a severe bleeding duodenal ulcer the year before AVR. I take the aspirin before breakfast and warfarin in the afternoon.

I take an 81mg aspirin each morning after breakfast, and my Coumadin about 12 hours later. I have not recognized any stomach problems.

I didn't mean to imply that you would have problems. I suspect most people would not.

However, enough people who take both do have problems with the combination that it's noted in a number of sites I have visited, and it's been mentioned more than once in the VR forums by people who've had some trouble with it. As such, it would seem wrong not to mention it as a possibility.

Best wishes,

What to take for pain?

What to take for pain?

I have a question -- no, two questions.

I have a tissue valve and am on aspirin therapy. (Explaining that because my signature is missing.) A couple of days ago I slipped on the floor and injured my shoulder; I think it's a sprain and hopefully not a tear. I didn't take anything for the pain at first.

1) What could I have taken orally?

Then yesterday morning, I rubbed a product on my shoulder called Biofreeze (something a relative gave me) and shortly afterward part of my lips got temporarily numb. No, I didn't touch them and I had already thoroughly washed the product off my hands. Last night I used Tiger Balm and this morning the same area of my lips got numb. (BTW - I think the Tiger Balm offered better relief.)

2) Any ideas why?

Info I found on Biofreeze says to keep away from mucous membrances (including lips). Both products contain camphor. Perhaps that's the key.
I would have taken Advil or some similar product for the pain and to reduce any inflammation. I don't ordinarily take Advil, but I do keep some on hand for things like this.

Injuries

Injuries

Usually, injuries like sprains typically benefit from application of an ice pack during the first 24-72 hours following injury. The cooling from the application of ice typically reduces the inflamation and swelling. This time of year, we typically have surplus of snow and a baggie of snow works well to cool down an injury. Snow in a baggie is easy to conform to an injuried area. Personally, I've never been much of a fan of chemical based cooling products like Biofreeze.

Application of heat usually helps with the healing process; however, one must be careful not to apply heat while the injury is inflamed and swelling. Applying heat too quickly results in increased swelling and inflamation. Use of a heating pad or warm water (hot tub, spa, or a good soak in the a hot bath) seems to work better for me than chemical based heating products.

Lots of people seem to like the over-the-counter pain products, but I've never had much luck with that stuff reducing, swelling, inflamation, or reducing pain.

-Philip

Usually, injuries like sprains typically benefit from application of an ice pack during the first 24-72 hours following injury. The cooling from the application of ice typically reduces the inflamation and swelling. This time of year, we typically have surplus of snow and a baggie of snow works well to cool down an injury. Snow in a baggie is easy to conform to an injuried area.

My mom uses a bag of frozen peas, which also conforms to the area. I don't know what she does once the peas are thawed, whether she tosses them into soup or something.

If you have a tissue valve and you're not on coumadin, it doesn't limit you from any pain reliever types. An 81mg aspirin on top of a "regular-sized" dose of any other NSAID shouldn't be a problem (regular-sized means what the package recommends), assuming it's for a few days, rather than months. So, you could take two ibuprofen (such as Advil, Medipren, etc.), or two Aleve (naproxen sodium), or two Tylenol (acetaminophen - not an NSAID), or just skip the 81 mg aspirin and take two regular aspirins instead.

NSAIDs help to reduce inflammation as well as reduce pain, and can be useful in speeding up recovery from swelling-related injuries, like sprains and muscle pains. NSAID = Non-Steroidal, Anti-Inflammatory Drug.

Best wishes,

Last edited:
Thanks all.
I'm always puzzled about what to take because of the aspirin therapy, having read various warnings. Shoulder has much less pain, though not nearly gone. I think the facial numbness (lips) was some type of reaction, something not quite right, but it only happened those two times.
Thanks again.

Coumadin doesn't stop me from taking whatever works. For me, it's Naproxen Sodium or Aleve. Every now and then, my artificial hip gets to hurting pretty good and that's my drug of choice.

Lily:

Camphor oil contains compounds that will numb tissues. Wash your hands immediately when you use any product containing camphor.
Thank you, Marsha; that's the funny thing -- because I had thoroughly washed my hands, and hadn't touched my face.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back