EP & Ablation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale B

Had my procedure this past Friday, and can not begin to say how disappointed I am. The doctor did the mapping but the source of my arryhthmia was so close to the SA node that he thought he may shut down my heart and he wasn't preaped to do an emergency pacemaker. So he pulled everything out and closed me up. He told my wife that there is a new drug that came on the market about 2 weeks ago that does not have all of the side effects. So I guess that is the next step. Really, really bummed out.

Dale, I'm sorry you have to join the club of failed ablations. It is very disappointing, isn't it? But, I'd have to say, if I had the choice of meds or a pacemaker, I'd go for the meds first. Hopefully, whatever drug he has in mind for you works.

Kim

Our local Cardiologists have just started writing prescriptions for Dronedarone (sp?), also known as MULTAQ as an alternative to Amiodarone. It sounds like that is what your EP was refering to.

Sotalol and another drug (I forgot the name) are also for providing good control of A-Fib with few side effects.

Had my procedure this past Friday, and can not begin to say how disappointed I am. The doctor did the mapping but the source of my arryhthmia was so close to the SA node that he thought he may shut down my heart and he wasn't preaped to do an emergency pacemaker. So he pulled everything out and closed me up. He told my wife that there is a new drug that came on the market about 2 weeks ago that does not have all of the side effects. So I guess that is the next step. Really, really bummed out.

Dale,
Four-letter word! Mine didn't work out, either, but that was a good thing. No need fixing what ain't broke.

I agree with Kim--it's better to play around with some meds and find the right fit than to need a pacemaker right away.

I wish you the best!

:)

I've been on the Multaq for just over a week and for the first time in over 20 years, my feet are warm.

I was "converted" for the second time yesterday (first time since Multaq) and we're hoping this works. I'm a candidate for AVR as well as the maze surgery with perhaps a pacemaker following.

And I though I was healthy but fat just 2 months ago!

I've been on the Multaq for just over a week and for the first time in over 20 years, my feet are warm.

I was "converted" for the second time yesterday (first time since Multaq) and we're hoping this works. I'm a candidate for AVR as well as the maze surgery with perhaps a pacemaker following.

And I though I was healthy but fat just 2 months ago!

Welcome Shari, to the luny farm.

I'm glad to know that we now know someone taking Dronedarone, though I'm sorry it has to be you. At least you can tell us how it's working out as time goes along.

Dale sent me a message asking about side effects.

So far, the only one I've noticed (and don't even know if it's a side effect) is that for the first time in 20 years, I have warm feet and warm hands.

The only two side effects listed as "common" are diarrhea and nausea.

I had some concerns as Multaq contraindicates for congestive heart failure, which I have, but my cardio felt it wasn't severe enough to become an issue.

It's now Saturday and I've remained in rhythm since Wednesday morning chugging along at about 50 bpm. Yesterday evening I was at 62 bpm so took 6.25 mg carvedilol, and and was back to 50 by bedtime. This AM was 47 bpm.

I have noticed my BP is fluctuating a bit and will discuss that with the cardio on Tuesday.

Hope this helps,

Shari, Why is it that your Dr. wants to keep your HR so low? Just curious. I'm interested how you do on this as well as it is pretty much the only anti-arrhythmic that is an option for me.

Hi kfay,

Nimer wants my HR at <55 bpm. Apparently I have a greater risk of reverting to a-fib at rates higher than that. I can guarantee you that it's pretty limiting to maintain a low HR. I walk very slowly, lift nothing more than about 5 lbs, and try not to bend over for long. On top of that, I'm working on losing the next 30 lbs... fun times!

Back