enlarged aortic root

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinaK

OK, I am sitting in the hotel waiting for tomorrow. I received some bad news today. They have to replace my aortic root and my heart valve. I did not take it too well, and really did not hear everything I should have asked. It is dialated to a 4.3, what ever that means?? Has anyone had this done recently? Of course, I did not do any research on this technique. I am even more scared and hope that all goes well tomorrow.

Oaktree said:
Oh yeah. This is a good thing. It means your surgeon knows what he is doing. Not to worry. Sorry it took you by surprise, but this is going to prevent problems for you later on. It is standard procedure for experienced aortic surgeons. The ones who don't take care of an enlarged aortic root are the ones you need to worry about.

I second what Oaktree said. This sounds alarming when you are first told it, but it is a good thing that your surgeon knows this going in. I had a combined aortic root and valve replacement done three years ago, and I am doing fine. Many others here also have. You wouldn't want the enlargement to be left unfixed. This can be viewed as taking care of the problem seamlessly.

You should do fine, rest assured. Godspeed.

TinaK,The only advice I can give you is to try to relax and think positive.
You will climb this mountain.

Don't forget your ear plugs, them rooms can get very noisy.

I wish you the very best and prayers for tomorrow and for the days to follow.

This is intended to address your question concerning technique. Given your relatively young age and earlier valve repair surgery over 20 yrs ago, I assume you'll go ahead with resection and replacement of aortic valve and aortic root with direct attachment of the right and left main coronary artery origins using a mechanical St. Jude composite valve graft prosthesis (modified Bentall technique). Your surgeon may also assess your ascending aorta and transverse aortic arch to determine whether or not resection and replacement of this portion of your aorta will be necessary to avoid another surgery down the road, say 10 yrs from now. If this becomes necessary, deep hypothermia and circulatory arrest will be required and represents added complexity. It is my sincere hope you find this information useful and your surgery goes extremely well.
After writing this, I reread your post above and realize now your surgery is tomorrow! Just ignore all this....hope you don't read it until after surgery.
All my best,
MrP

Graft Work

Graft Work

Close to one year ago I was where you're at. I had AVR surgery and an aortic anneurysm was repaired with a dacron graft last March. I don't remember if your post indicated what valve you will have implanted. If the valve is a St Jude, yours will likely have a factory installed dacron conduit. The pre-installed conduit speeds up the surgery a little bit.

Don't let these kinds of bumps throw you off course. It's a positive thing to have your surgeon address both the valve and anneurysm issues while he's in there. Take things one step at a time and focus on a positive outcome.

-Philip

tina

tina

Dear Tina, don't worry working on the aortic root is common procedure, they do it all the time you'll be fine. Once they get in there and start working on you they'll fix up everything so you'll be better than you've been in a long time!! I know tomarrow will be scary, but you can do this and you'll be fine! We've all went before you and did great, you will too. You have my # call me tonight or or in the morning o.k. Take care Debbie :)

Yep to above.

This is a good thing as said, it means your surgeon knows a bit about your condition :)

So often (although hopefull less lately) people just end up going in purely to address the valve only to find out 2-3 years later that they also need to address the root or ascending aorta.

This really is a blessing.

Regards.

Tina,
I've had my valve and ascending aorta replaced. The surgery and recovery went a lot smoother than I expected. There will be ups and downs, but it feels great to be on the other side of the mountain. Hang in there! I'll keep you in my prayers and thoughts.
Kris

Latest posts

Back