Endocarditis

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 to Lyn's hopes and wishes, Toni!

Lyn, both of those posters are "Philip", and they both have "Join Date: Jan 2006" & "Location: New Orleans, LA", so they do seem like the same guy. Was I wrong that he is still blogging here now?

yes both of these post are from the same Philip but he hasn't posted since July, You most likely are thinking of "Philip B" who joined in March 07

While I have not heard from Philip for awhile, I know he is quite healthy. I remember he had to be on antibiotics for a really long time. I do think he might answer a Private Message if his email is attached to alert him. Please send him a PM with your particular questions and perhaps he will get back to you, Toni. I don't know how often he comes onto the forums.

Best wishes to you and your husband. I hope his luck will change.

Marguerite

Thanks for the info folks! The blood cultures taken on readmission are still in the lab - these are slow growing, so they will give them longer than the typical 5 day process. Today Fred was started on Ceftriaxone, a 'cousin' to penicillin - won't know until tomorrow whether or not his kidneys are handling it. Day at a time.

I received a journal article from the Infectious disease doctor today, and found it to be quite helpful. I will cite it here as a resource:

Infective endocarditis due to Propionibacterium species (title of article) I believe the publication is Clinical Microbial Infect 2009; 15:387-394. The following note is also on the copy;

corresponding author and reprint requests: M.R. Sohail, Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, Rochesterm MN 55905. email: [email protected]

Hello everyone. I am pleased to report that I am alive and well and no lasting ill effects from endocarditis except for the fear of getting it again. Endocarditis sucks! I would rather have another valve replacement than go through endocardiis again.

Toni I hope your husband responds to the IV antibiotics as well as I did. For me it was 58 days tethered to the IV pump but it worked well. I did loose approximately 50% of my kidney function but it too returned to normal. When I had it the infectious disease docs could find only 10 cases of endocarditis from this bacteria that were were documented. If you want to discuss in greater detail send me PM and I will be happy to share my success story. I know too well the stress this creates in your life. I'm sure you are aware that you are in good hands at Mayo.

I don't visit the site very often and was made aware of you post By Praline; I'm glad she did.

Please keep us posted on your husbands recovery. Prayers and eagles are in route.

Philip

Latest posts

Back