Endocarditis - Enterococcus faecalis - On-x Valve (tiny vegetation) - NEED INPUT!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It actually took my doctor team a week to figure out that I had endocarditis. My symptoms also came on so suddenly, but the er diagnosed me with flu and rotator cuff pain, so that slowed down the process. Five days after very severe symptoms I had a brain bleed (inr had zoomed upward)and was hospitalized again, luckily they had ordered cultures and so I was started on antibiotics 8 days after my first symptoms. My surgeons notes after my ordeal was over stated that it was rare to be treated for the 6 weeks with IV antibiotics and not need valve redo during that time. I got vancomycin, gentamycin and rifampin the first week, but was changed to 23 hour nafcillin and oral rifampin for the remainder after my cultures turned positive.

Went and saw my Cardiothoracic surgeon (who did my AVR in 2006). He saw the TEE and said - there is nothing that concerns him. He wants me to still be on the IV antibiotics for 6 weeks, repeat blood cultures within a week and then again! He sounded quite optimistic but I am also having the TEE looked at by one other cardiologist. He is globally known for Imaging & Aortic valvular studies. Fingers crossed ...

May you be one of the few, if any, on this site that gets treated for endocarditis and doesn't need a valve or two addressed!!
All the best, and I think you have a very good chance of no valve involvement.
Prayers for you, too.

May you be one of the few, if any, on this site that gets treated for endocarditis and doesn't need a valve or two addressed!!
All the best, and I think you have a very good chance of no valve involvement.
Prayers for you, too.

Cardio Image Expert said that it was not endocarditis rather bacteremia ..

Just a quick update. I got off the antibiotics on Dec 21st - *Merry Xmas*- Did blood cultures a week later - came back negative.
Took the picc line out a week later, took another set of cultures, and they came back negative as well.

Now, the game plan is to perform the TEE again by Dr. Martin (Medical Director of Cardiovascular Imaging and Chief of Valvular & Structural Heart Disease). I am so glad that I got in touch with Dr. Martin - Wikipedia has the following excerpt for him. "During the early 1980s he became one of the innovators in the use of Doppler echocardiography in the United States and introduced the technique to his colleagues."

He looked at my older TEE, and advised that the heart is functioning normally, and valve looks fine. He is going to repeat the TEE in first week of February for my satisfaction. I will probably repeat blood cultures in March as well for my relief.

Anyways, thanks for all the prayers/support everyone .. I am happy to say that this site has been a huge HELP ...

Latest posts

Back