Edwards Lifesciences

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tprice54

I posted a new thread in the active lifestyles forum on my Disneyland half marathon experience, but I waned to add a thread to talk about my tour of Edwards Lifesciences while I was out west. If any of you have an Edwards valve, and you get near Irvine, I hope you consider setting up a visit. They have a great tour, showing how the valves (procine and bovine) are made from start to finish. For instance, the porcine are actually the valves from the pig, while the bovines are made from pericardial tissue, so they are hand made from scratch using the tissue, not the valves from the cow. The highlight is meeting the actual people (I had 7) who made your valve (determined from your serial number). It was VERY emotional. I gave them all my Disney finisher medals (Mickey from the marathons and Donald from the half marathons) from over the years, and they wore them proudly. Each one wanted a picture taken with me to show off to others...to show who was saved by the valve they made with their own hands.
They love seeing patients who have been saved by their work, so if you are able, please consider setting up a tour!

What a great experience, it was thoughtful of you to take your Medals there. I've read it takes about 8 hours to hand sew each valve.

Thank you for sharing your story! TPrice. As a fairly recent recipient of the Edwards Perimount Valve, I can only imagine what it must have felt like to actually meet the people who made the valve.

I agree with Lynn that is was very thoughtful of you to share your medals with the staff. I am sure it was a visit they will never forget.

What an amazing experience. I would so love to do that tour and meet the people who do that life saving work.
It all seems so anonymous so a post like yours is so meaningful.

Thank you.

That is amazing that you got to meet them. It was probably so meaningful for them as well, to see that the valve they made has made such a difference. The medals will always remind them of you!

What a great thing to do!! I had no idea that kind of tour might be available. How wonderful that you brought your medals and gave them to your valve-makers. I can imagine that it was a lovely and emotional moment for all. I don't expect there are that many situations where such meetings are possible or as "heart-felt". I guess prosthetics come with serial numbers, too.

Thank you for sharing this! Haven't been down SoCal way lately, but if I do, I will certainly venture over!!

I wonder if we can do the same kind of thing by mail?? I mean, certainly one could write a thank you, include a little story, or bio, give them the serial number of the valve, and see who might respond?

Marguerite

Latest posts

Back