Echo done yesterday

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenda

I have an echo every six months because supposedly my pig's valve is failing. My cardio told me the same thing he tells me every time. "I'll see you back in six momths or I'll see you in ER. I still don't have any of the symptoms that I guess he thinks I should be having. He also told me that they are doing a cows valve replacement now. Does anyone have any informatiom about that? He said my heart surgeon was one of the first doctor's to do that procedure in this area and he had done quite a few. It is supposed to last at least 20 years, well anyway it will probably out last me. That will probably be the route I take. I asked him how long should I wait until I have my old one replaced. He said when I start having the dizziness, shortness of breath and fainting. He said when that starts happening to get there ASAP. Otherwise everyhthing else is good. I've lost the 20lb I had gained this winter, now to go on down the 60 more to reach my goal. It's so much easier to lose in the summer. I'm just not hungry and I'm so extremely busy working that I don't take time to eat. That's when I get light headed! Thanks for all your prayers. Like I've said before I believe in the power of prayer!:eek:

Glenda, Have you touched base with your surgeon since all of this started happening with your pig valve? You know that some cardio's have their patients wait too long whereas surgeons like to get in there and fix things before more damage is done. I know your not itching to have surgery done again, but it might be worth checking in with your surgeon just so he's aware of what is going on.

Great job on losing the weight. I think you must have sent part of that 20 lbs. my way!!!

Kim

Boy, I second Kim's advice. Touch base with a surgeon soon. Don't wait to pick up the phone until you're in ER!

My cardio has watched me closely, and sent me to the surgeon last month because of a dropping EF. I'm glad he did. I wasn't having symptoms 6 weeks ago, but in the last few weeks I'm seeing some dizziness, also noticing the fatigue that I had previously ignored. It is time, indeed.

I have an echo every six months because supposedly my pig's valve is failing. My cardio told me the same thing he tells me every time. "I'll see you back in six momths or I'll see you in ER. I still don't have any of the symptoms that I guess he thinks I should be having. He also told me that they are doing a cows valve replacement now. Does anyone have any informatiom about that? He said my heart surgeon was one of the first doctor's to do that procedure in this area and he had done quite a few. It is supposed to last at least 20 years, well anyway it will probably out last me. That will probably be the route I take. I asked him how long should I wait until I have my old one replaced. He said when I start having the dizziness, shortness of breath and fainting. He said when that starts happening to get there ASAP. Otherwise everyhthing else is good. I've lost the 20lb I had gained this winter, now to go on down the 60 more to reach my goal. It's so much easier to lose in the summer. I'm just not hungry and I'm so extremely busy working that I don't take time to eat. That's when I get light headed! Thanks for all your prayers. Like I've said before I believe in the power of prayer!:eek:

Glenda, I'm a little confused about " He also told me that they are doing a cows valve replacement now. Does anyone have any informatiom about that? He said my heart surgeon was one of the first doctor's to do that procedure in this area and he had done quite a few."
the normal "cows valve" has been in use over 20 years and is pretty much routine and most valve surgeons have done thousands of them, but the way he said " your surgeon was one of the first in the area and has done quite a few", makes me wonder is he possibly talking about having your replacement done, as a percutaneous valve replacement, which is done as a cath and not traditional OHS where they cut you open. That would make more sense, since they are cow valves and are very new, to the point they would mention who was the first in the area and that they have done quite a few so far. Right now they are still in trial phase, but I'm wonderring if because of your other medical issues, and you are a REDO, if he is thinking you'd qualify as one of the higher risk patients that would either qualify now, or his hope is by the time you do have symptons, it would be approved for more people. It would be easy to check and see IF your hospital/surgeon is one of the centers taking part in the trials, they are all listed at the clinical gov site.
I would ask what cows valve he is talking about.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back