easybob's avr, mvr, and maze are Thursday, June 11

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easybob

I am having my aortic valve replaced, my mitral valve repaired and a MAZE procedure next Thursday. Any tips before I hit the table?

Read the sticky in the pre-surgery forum, don't eat too much the night before, take a robe and earplugs. Have loose clothes and shoes to wear home-you may have 20 extra lbs of fluid for a while. Plan something to look forward to a couple of months after surgery.
Be sure to post and let us know how you are doing!

Ask questions if you have any.

Best wishes.

Don't forget to cut your toe nails, it my be a while before you can reach that low. Also, have items on the counter that would normally high or low in the cupboards. You won't be able to even open the fridge door without pain (well I had pain). Just a few thoughts.

I send you my best wishes

I am having my aortic valve replaced, my mitral valve repaired and a MAZE procedure next Thursday. Any tips before I hit the table?

Wow no wasting time,good for you and it will be over soon.
Tips i guess stool softeners are a big hit,pain meds are great but can be a problem after u get home and don't have any softeners:eek:sure they give them in hospital,but remember after you get home to have em on hand.

Wishing you the best in your surgery and a comfy recovery.You'll do GREAT!

OOOOOHHHHHH one more tip: if anyone asks what they can do for you
say THANKS and ACCEPT it.;);):D

Zipper2 (DEB)

Last edited:
Hi

If you are a caffeine dependant person --- wean now, there is still time –
Caffeinated cola, coffee, tea (even weak tea). Reduced would be better than nothing.

Caffeine headaches do not respond to the pain meds they give you for surgery and they will not give you caffeine.

Ann

I don't know... i took a whole bag of stuff, books, Ipod, crosswords, etc... i used my Ipod to listen to pre surgery and never opened the bag again through my stay. I couldn't concentrate on anything. I would move things to lower shelves so that you can reach them. A shower chair was great to have when I came home.. and lots and lots and lots of pillows.

Just wanted to give you a bit of encouragement. I'll assume you are having the Maze due to some Arrythmias since I really see no other reason to do one. I was having them at least 8-9 a day before my surgery. They also did a Maze on me also... i am 7 weeks post op now and haven't had a single arrythmia. I am also not taking Anti-Arrythmia meds anymore either. So I hope that makes you feel good and hopeful. Good luck to you.

easybob's avr, mvr, and maze are Thursday, June 11

Easybob,
We all hope you have an easy go of it!:) You're having more done than many of us, but you will do well and will soon be on the road to recovery. If someone can post an update, we'd appreciate it since we worry until we hear good news.
God bless and Godspeed!

Do you have a Recliner?

Many report that sleeping in a recliner is more comfortable (and easier to get into and out of) than sleeping in a flat bed after surgery, especially if they usually sleep on their side or stomach.

You will probably want someone around to help you the first week at home. Two weeks would be even better.

It is wise to have someone looking over you as much as possible while in the Hospital. Several have 2 or 3 family members/friends stay in shifts around the clock. Have them make sure that the nurses / doctors wash their hands or put on New Gloves whenever they come in.

Ask about each medication and dose to be sure it is correct. It might even be wise to keep your own chart to prevent missed doses or DOUBLE Doses (it DOES happen, especially if there is a substitute nurse if/when your regular nurse is tied up with another patient).

'AL Capshaw'

Yep, read the pre-surgery sticky and everone's posts in your thread, some good tips. I particularly like Deb's suggestion about just accepting the help people offer.

Deep breath, it'll be over before you know it. Keep us posted - we'll all be thinking of you and wishing you an easy recovery!

Melissa

I too brought a bunch of stuff I didn't use. I did use a laptop after a couple of days. Have an advocate with you if at all possible.

Good luck and update us when you can
Earline

Thank you all for your comments. I would not have thought of several of the things you have mentioned. I have a great surgeon (Dr. Vincent Gaudiani in SF) so even though I am very apprehensive I expect a favorable outcome.

Back