Dressler's Syndrome/Percarditus Post-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip

I was doing great at 3 weeks post-op then the fever arrived. Yesterday it was determined the the source was Dressler's Syndrome a form of pericarditus. I have been given drugs to hopefully reduce the fluid and will return Monday for another echo to check the fluid volume. If the volume is not substantially reduced they will drain the fluid...sounds fun. I was told to come prepared to stay, this doesn't sound very optimistic. I had hoped I had spent my last night night in the hospital, besides I was looking forward to a heart healthy meal of bar-b-q ribs (you have to be bad sometime.)

I was not on top of the program enough to ask the correct questions and I can't seem to summon the motivation to research this as I normally would. Any insight from any who have experienced this would be appreciated.

If I have to be drained is this a "drain and finish" or is a cath left in place for an extended period of time? If a cath is left in place what does it drain into?

What is the length of hospital stay?

Is there a chance for recurrence?

Thanks, Philip

I haven't had it done myself, but they use a syringe with a grounding clip attached to withdraw the fluid from the Pericardium. They'll keep you for a while to be sure the fluid isn't building back up and to make sure your heart doesn't start giving off some funny arrhythmia. As far as I know, it's a same day procedure unless of course, the fluid begins to build again. There is always a chance of recurrence, especially with infection.

http://www.webmd.com/content/pages/14/81968

So sorry to hear of your pericarditis - have been through it many times.
Usually the drainage is a "drain and finish" procedure. They keep you in sometimes just to make sure the fluid is gone. Usually the stay is a few hours but I have been in overnight.
Yes, there is a chance for reoccurance but I do not know any statistics.
I will pray that the meds work and you will have your expected long holiday weekend.

Philip. Sorry to hear of your setback. Wishing you a "cooler" weekend and a non-event on Monday.

:) Marguerite

Pericarditis

Pericarditis

Phillip
I did not know there were different names for types of pericarditis. I will have to do some reading on that. I hope you get this issue drained soon and it is done in one procedure but don't be surprised if it is not gone in one shot. I had multiple sessions of pericarditis and it was treated each time but I did develop constrictive pericarditis that required surgery. Take care of this as soon as you can and feel good that you got it done and can feel much better after.
Kathleen

Phillip,
I would suggest that after the procedure you might want to ask how soon before you can start running again. I remember that you were anxious to get back to running, but don't take any chances with a reoccurrence of this.
I have the pericardial constriction that Kathleen referred to, so I have had some experience with what you're facing.
Take care,
Mary

Kathleen said:
Phillip
I did not know there were different names for types of pericarditis. I will have to do some reading on that. I hope you get this issue drained soon and it is done in one procedure but don't be surprised if it is not gone in one shot. I had multiple sessions of pericarditis and it was treated each time but I did develop constrictive pericarditis that required surgery. Take care of this as soon as you can and feel good that you got it done and can feel much better after.
Kathleen
Kathleen,
I think pericarditis is pericarditis. Dressler's Syndrome is just a name for pericarditis that occurs as a result of trauma to the heart (i.e. surgery, heart attack, etc.) as opposed to pericarditis caused by infection.

I'm so sorry to hear about your percardial effusion post-op! My story is slightly a horror story, but I'm going to share it with the hopes that you're experience will be much better than mine. And anyhow, if you expect the worst and it's better than you expect...that makes it a little easier to handle. :)

I had difficulties with pericardial centesis following my OHS. We tried steroids and it didn't work. I was admitted to the hospital one month after my OHS for a pericardiocentesis. They gave me Versed for the procedure and I only remember parts of it...the most painful parts of course. :( Make sure they give you good drugs for this, Versed doesn't work very well for me for some reason. But this procedure REALLY hurts if you are awake!!

Anyhow, they put a catheter in and left it in overnight. It drained into a bag kinda like the bag that your urine drains into when you have a Foley catheter in. They monitored it and when it ran clear they pulled the catheter. Unfortunately the catheter got "caught on something" when they pulled it. That was the worst pain I EVER felt in my life. From what I've been told that's not normal. But of course, it happened to me! :eek:

Unfortunately the pericardiocentesis didn't help. One month following that I had to have a surgery to remove part of my pericardium. They went through my side. It's more painful when they go through your side than when they go through your sternum. The best benefit is that you recover a lot faster. I was able to drive in about 2 weeks. The fluid drained into my chest for awhile (and out my side :eek: ) but my heart has been great since then.

Remember, my story is NOT typical. I just wanted to share the worst-case scenario. I hope your saga ends with the pericardiocentesis. Just be sure you are drugged up enough when they perform it! Let us know how it goes!

Liza

Oh, and for both the pericarditis and the surgery to remove part of my pericardium...I was only in the hospital overnight for both of them.

Liza

Status Up-date

Status Up-date

Thanks to all for the information and support.

Monday's echo revealed no reduction in fluid volume so I was admitted for drainage by pericardiocentesis only to find that due to the location of the fluid there was no path for the needle without damage to the heart, lungs or liver so this left me with the options of trying a change of medication or surgery to create a pericardial window; guess which I opted for. I will try the drugs until this Friday and if there is no improvement it is off to see the surgeon, ugh!

The drugs are are steroid based, do you think I should hit the track or weight room to maximize their benefit?

Philip

Now this was about 17 years ago and everythig is different but Justin had a big problem w/ pericardial fluid after his surgery at 18 months (off and on for 6 months) one of his pockets of fluid was behind his heart so they went in the cath lab and were able to draw the fluid out, after a while they actually put a cath into the fluid pocket and hanging out side of him,(yes it was scarey as mom we had to keep guaze w/ vasoline and hemostats w/ us at all times incase it accidently got pulled out) so they could just tap it. I wonder if they could try something like that for you, before surgery. Last year justin started to have fluid, but the steroids did help and he never needed tapped, I'll say a prayer yours works as well, lyn

Philip, I am so sorry to hear of the latest developments with your heart. What a dissapointment for you to have potential surgery in your future. Here is hoping the drugs will do the trick. go drugs, go! Rah! Rah! Rah!

Philip,
I always got relief using Medrol. Hopefully the meds you are taking are similar in nature and will work for you.
You are in my prayers.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems! I hope the steroids work for you.

I was told not to get my heart rate up when I had the pericardial effusion. I'm not sure if it's the same for you, but going to the gym probably isn't a good idea. Besides, the steriods they give you are glucocorticoids which are used for an anti-inflammatory effect...you'd have to use an anabolic steroid to get the effects you want. *grin*

In my opinion (and experience), it might just be easier to get the pericardectomy done...after you recover from it, you feel so much better. I had such a hard time breathing and was very uncomfortable when I had pericardial effusion. Having another surgery wasn't fun, but once I was recovered I was much more comfortable, and it was easier to get myself back to 100%. :)

Keep us updated!

Liza :)

Philip said:
The drugs are are steroid based, do you think I should hit the track or weight room to maximize their benefit?

Philip
Only if your insane. Seriously, lay back for a while now, even if the pericardial window has to be done. You do not want to antagonize this anymore.

Philip said:

Philip

PHILIP! There's this little smiley face guy over here, the winking one..... ;) ;) ;) . Or this other fellow... :rolleyes: !! You're supposed to use them when you're kidding around!! You're gonna freak some people out!!

Glad you have your sense of humor in the face of all this, though. Hang onto it. Best wishes for a positive response to the meds!!

:D Marguerite

Latest posts

Back