Dr Pettersson of CC and valve choice

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gail2

I'm scheduled for surgery with Dr. Pettersson at CCF in two weeks for replacement
of my aortic valve and replacement or repair of my mitral valve.
I'm reading here that Dr. Pettersson is really top notch, but I also see that he
seems to recommend mechanical valves to his patients. Is there anyone here
who has been given a bovine valve by Dr. Pettersson. I'm wondering if he only uses mechanical valves and if he won't be
willing or able to give me a bovine valve if that's what I prefer?

Also, a doctor at CCF told me my stenosis is from radiation therapy I had in 1985 for breast cancer. I read on some old posts at this forum from years ago that mechanical valves were used when the stenosis is caused by radiation. Do you know if that is still the case? I was hoping against all hope to get a bovine valve. I know coumadin isn't supposed to be that bad, but I'm still hoping to avoid having to take it. I'm 61 and I understand that under normal circumstances they'd give me a bovine valve.

Thanks

Hi, I don't know that I've heard Petterson only/mainly uses mechanical valves, what I know about CCF in general is they use ALOT* more tissue (usually bovine) valves than mech valves,
even in patients in their 40s and 50s, but I'm sure Petterson will give mechanical valves to patients who ask, even if they normally would reccomend tissue. so maybe the ones you read about asked for a certain mechanical. but there might be other reasons, like it was a 2nd or 3rd surgery or they were pretty young etc.

Also as you said at your age, most likely they would recomend a tissue valve, if you didn't have any reason not to. I think what kind of valve recomended if they think your stenosiss is related to your radiation, probably depends on a few things, including how your tissue looks when they have you open age. et

* from 2010 annual report
"In 2010, bioprostheses (biologic tissue valves) accounted for 85 percent of all valve replacement
procedures at Cleveland Clinic. Bioprostheses are the prostheses of choice for most aortic and
mitral valve replacement procedures. They are durable and allow most patients to avoid lifetime
use of anticoagulants after surgery."

if your interested the pdf link is http://my.clevelandclinic.org/Documents/heart/OutcomePDFs/2010/hvi-book-2011.pdf valve info starts about page 25

I am having an avr by Dr Petterrson as well and on the 19th of this month. I guess I will find out what kind of valve he recommends on Tue. the 18th. thats when I meet him. If I learn any new info for you I will post or have family post .

I am having an avr by Dr Petterrson as well and on the 19th of this month. I guess I will find out what kind of valve he recommends on Tue. the 18th. thats when I meet him. If I learn any new info for you I will post or have family post .

Thanks - I'd appreciate that if you do have a chance. I know you'll have a lot on your mind. I'm wishing you the best and a quick recovery. My surgery is scheduled for the
26th.

Thanks Rob - I am going to check that out. I've been reading really great things about him and CC. Nice to know I'll be in the best of hands.

I noticed in th link Rob posted that it says.
"An invited lecturer to many national and international conferences, Dr. Pettersson's presentations include topics ranging from bronchial artery revascularization in lung and heart-lung transplantation to biologic tissue in the treatment of aortic valve disease."

So it looks like He does alot of tissue aortic valves.

I noticed in th link Rob posted that it says.
"An invited lecturer to many national and international conferences, Dr. Pettersson's presentations include topics ranging from bronchial artery revascularization in lung and heart-lung transplantation to biologic tissue in the treatment of aortic valve disease."

So it looks like He does alot of tissue aortic valves.

Great to know - thanks

Hi Gail,

Dr. Pettersson replaced my aortic root, replaced my old mechanical heart valve, and built his own graft to attach to the new On-X valve.
At that time, On-X did not have an approved mechanical valve with graft at that time, but as I understand, they do have approval now, and have a mechanical valve with graft in their mechanical valve selections.

Rob

My plan was to get an aortic On-X valve. Dr. Pettersson abided by my wishes and initially installed the On-X. Once they applied pressure, there were problems with sub-valvular leakage and so they yanked the On-X out and installed a porcine valve in it's place. It worked so well that it caused leakage with my mitral valve, which was then repaired. I would think it's safe to say that Dr. Pettersson will do all he can to accommodate the patient's wishes yet, at the same time, will also do all he can do to ensure you emerge from surgery "all fixed up". I am living proof of that :)

gail2, I had my pre-op appts at CC today and saw a Dr Rodriguez (cardiologist) and he actually asked me what kind of valve I wanted. We felt a tissue valve might be best for me but he left the decision to me. He said if possible they would put a larger valve in and then in the future if need be they could/would insert a new valve percutaneously. I will see Dr. Petterrson tomorrow and let you know what I find out.

This might give you perspective although it's a different doctor..

I am getting my MV most likely replaced on Friday..Although my surgeon (Dr. Aubrey Galloway ) strongly suggested a tissue valve, as did my cardiologist, it was still up to me if I wanted mechanical or not.

I'm scheduled for surgery with Dr. Pettersson at CCF in two weeks for replacement
of my aortic valve and replacement or repair of my mitral valve.
I'm reading here that Dr. Pettersson is really top notch, but I also see that he
seems to recommend mechanical valves to his patients. Is there anyone here
who has been given a bovine valve by Dr. Pettersson. I'm wondering if he only uses mechanical valves and if he won't be
willing or able to give me a bovine valve if that's what I prefer?

Also, a doctor at CCF told me my stenosis is from radiation therapy I had in 1985 for breast cancer. I read on some old posts at this forum from years ago that mechanical valves were used when the stenosis is caused by radiation. Do you know if that is still the case? I was hoping against all hope to get a bovine valve. I know coumadin isn't supposed to be that bad, but I'm still hoping to avoid having to take it. I'm 61 and I understand that under normal circumstances they'd give me a bovine valve.

Thanks

I am not sure I agree with your assessment of Dr P. He is a brilliant man and knows the numbers/percentages. With me he went over each option and was willing to any. He did not push one over the other. Just percentages. I made the decision for On-x on my own (or rather with the help of this site). He may be helping you lean towards mechanical for other reasons. He was even willing to do the Ross procedure on me (I am not a believer in the RP).

Well I met with the cardio yesterday and he asked what kind of valve I wanted. We discussed it and decided on a tissue valve. Today I met Dr. Petterrson and he was great. he asked me what kind of valve I wanted and I told him about my discussion with the cardio and he agreed with my decision and we talked about the future of valve replacements. So I don't believe either valve will be "pushed on you" but you decide or/and they will help decide. I came away feeling like it was entirely up to the patient unless for some medical reason to go with one over the other. Well I have a 5:15 date to keep in the am so I will go for now. My kids will let you all know how it is going.

I sent in all the test results info etc that I had. Since my cath was recently done it did not need to be repeated. They did preop on me Monday (took all day) met with Dr. Petterrson on Tue. He tells you what your tests reveal, what you need to have done and how they will do it. He asks what kind of valve you want and you decide there. I did not choose one specific one over the other(brand wise) but trusted in his judgement. I got a tissue valve, bovine. Doc was not pushy but you can just tell he is a brilliant man. I placed my entire trust in him. You will do well.

I sent in all the test results info etc that I had. Since my cath was recently done it did not need to be repeated. They did preop on me Monday (took all day) met with Dr. Petterrson on Tue. He tells you what your tests reveal, what you need to have done and how they will do it. He asks what kind of valve you want and you decide there. I did not choose one specific one over the other(brand wise) but trusted in his judgement. I got a tissue valve, bovine. Doc was not pushy but you can just tell he is a brilliant man. I placed my entire trust in him. You will do well.

I have met with Dr. Petterrson and corresponded with him extensively. Based on my experiences, I think you are in very good hands.

Best,
pem

We have not posted for many months--sorry, but we have been very busy. Dr. P. is OUTSTANDING. Joann has 2 mechanical valves (original 1971-Dr. P. replaced with 2 mechanical valves in 1999. There was never any discussion regarding mechanical vs. others. Dr. P. said that she had lived for 28 years with mechanical and there was no way to change now. If you have had mechanical, ususally the surgeon will stay with the mechanical. They did use a patch to make the new Carbomedics valves fit properly.

Without a doubt, he is the finest physician that we have ever met!!!!!!

Listen to his recommendation carefully and then make up your mind.

Latest posts

Back